!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Worsely works 42xx kit build  (Read 7664 times)

Online AJP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
Worsely works 42xx kit build
« on: May 16, 2016, 06:38:04 pm »
Hi Everyone, I have just started the worsley works 42xx tank kit, and will be posting photos here of my progress and problems (many no doubt).
I have had the kit well over a year and have only justed worked out how i am going to do this, a disadvantage i have is that i live and work in Spain, so normally all bits have to be ordered from the UK with a week or more wait involved.

Here is the chassis built up, unfortunately I hand to cut the detail of the bottom to have access to the wheels for pickups.

Cylinders partly built, still had to add the wrapper.

Underside of chassis with view of PCB for pickups - no springs apart from last wheel set.

Cylinders with wrappers, easier than i thought - as luck would have it I found the brass in my local model shop.

Another view of the cylinders, later on I had to cut this in half and join it with some more brass, as I realised the cylinders were going to be in too close to the wheel set.

Mk2 gear train, MK1 was a huge problem, I cut a vee in the chassis for the motor, but then realised it would foul the wheels, duuh. :(, so soldered on the mount you see.

Cylinders and motor mount fitted, lots of debris in the background

Chassis, cylinders and cross head after washing, the cross head was very good fun, about an hour each one, and at least two discarded ones, luckily there is loads on the etch.
I will try and upload some more photos later, was a bit slow earlier

tony

One side completed, motor fitted.

The dreaded cross heads
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:31:36 pm by AJP »

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Worsely works 42xx kit build
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:50:23 pm »
This looks very interesting.  When I started reading I assumed 2mm FS, but those aren't 2mm Assoc wheels. Very good of the manufacturer to provide spare crossheads, it suggests they have actually tried building one of their own kits and know where the problems are.  That isn't always the case with kits.

Richard

Offline bigbadbadge

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:28:14 pm »
Great work so far, you have better eyesight than me.  Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:32:28 pm »
Hi Tony, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Thanks for the excellent progress report on your build.
I don't know whereabouts in Spain you are but when your loco is complete maybe you could give it a run on Caz's layout in Benalmadena.

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:02:59 pm »
Hi Belstone, the wheels are G.F. blackened ones, 3 I had spare and the over 3 I bought from BR Lines, one problem I had was which wheels to use the 2mm association ones and re-gauge to N standards or use some N ones. What I have decided to do is use these G.F. ones and have drilled them out to accept 2mm association crank pins press fitted/ glued in place, i will then use a dab of low melt solder with the crank pin washers, I hope it works, i believe I can solder it quickly enough not to melt the G.F. wheels. The other option was to use the 2mm association wheels etc, but then the chassis has to be split, not something i fancied, also the motor mount for this type is much more difficult (for me).
The cross head I built up in this order:stick link pin in balsa wood base with plenty to spare, solder pin ( that what represents the piston rod) to inner crosshead section with standard electrical solder, fit connecting rod with cigarette paper sandwiched above and below, fit other half of crosshead and solder that to pin with electrical solder also. now solder linkpin to crosshead with low melt solder, check all still moves and is not now a solid lump, as happened to me twice :doh:

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:33 pm »
Hi Newportnobby thanks for the welcome, I think I live quite along way from caz, I live in Castellon which is 100km from Valencia, though I do travel quite often to Granada which is a lot closer to caz. I have an ulterior motive though for building this loco and it this:

I have quite a few china clay wagons and have the china clay dry to go with them, i just want a 42xx to haul them!
Since I took that photo it has developed a bit more.

tony

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 09:43:44 pm »
Hi Belstone, the wheels are G.F. blackened ones, 3 I had spare and the over 3 I bought from BR Lines, one problem I had was which wheels to use the 2mm association ones and re-gauge to N standards or use some N ones. What I have decided to do is use these G.F. ones and have drilled them out to accept 2mm association crank pins press fitted/ glued in place, i will then use a dab of low melt solder with the crank pin washers, I hope it works, i believe I can solder it quickly enough not to melt the G.F. wheels. The other option was to use the 2mm association wheels etc, but then the chassis has to be split, not something i fancied, also the motor mount for this type is much more difficult (for me).
The cross head I built up in this order:stick link pin in balsa wood base with plenty to spare, solder pin ( that what represents the piston rod) to inner crosshead section with standard electrical solder, fit connecting rod with cigarette paper sandwiched above and below, fit other half of crosshead and solder that to pin with electrical solder also. now solder linkpin to crosshead with low melt solder, check all still moves and is not now a solid lump, as happened to me twice :doh:

As it happens I soldered up some crankpins on Farish wheels yesterday, but old Poole ones with whopping great 1.5mm brass pins which needed rather more heat than I would have liked to get the solder to flow.  I used ordinary 0.5mm solder and the wheels didn't melt, even though I ended up doing the job twice.  So you should be fine I think. Don't do what I did the first time and use liquid flux, it soaks into the cigarette paper and then gums everything up solid...

With that motor and the side tanks full of lead this loco is going to be awesome.  60 wagons, no bother.

Richard

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 09:44:20 pm »
Hi a couple more photos,

The motor with my patent quartering tool! not really, but it does help, the crank pins should all line up in the groove, therefore making it easier to line up on the other side.

The other side of the chassis with one wheel fitted, and plasticard washers fitted on the 2 central drivers, as they were going to short out on the motor mount, this should keep them clear.
That's it for now, won't be able to do any more until the weekend, hopefully will finish the chassis and can start on the body, also will probably be needing some different temp low melt solders I ordered from Eileen's emporium

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 09:47:41 pm »
Hi one other thing, don't mention the brake gear, I've looked at it, thought about it, had several glasses of wine, and it still scares me.

tony 

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:16:07 pm »
Hi Newportnobby thanks for the welcome, I think I live quite along way from caz, I live in Castellon which is 100km from Valencia, though I do travel quite often to Granada which is a lot closer to caz. I have an ulterior motive though for building this loco and it this:

I have quite a few china clay wagons and have the china clay dry to go with them, i just want a 42xx to haul them!
Since I took that photo it has developed a bit more.

tony

That's looking very good. When you have more time I/we'd like to see more of the layout please

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 11:39:31 am »
Hi Newportnobby, i have posted a load of photos in Layout construction, no name layout, unfortunately I don't know how to insert a link, any advice on that would be welcome.

tony

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 03:12:52 pm »
@AJP
I've seen the pics, thanks. :thumbsup:
To create a link, right click on the post title you wish to link to and then click 'Copy Link Address' and then just 'paste' it into the new post. It often helps to have the forum open on 2 tabs.

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »
Hi Newportnobby, hope this works, will slowly upload more photos of layout via this link

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33218.msg382827#msg382827

tony

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 12:15:26 pm »
ok, more photos, got the chassis finished and running ok, much to my surprise, had to tweak the quartering several times though. after that have started on the body, but have made a mistake and left an etch off, which I will rectify this weekend ( I hope).

underside of chassis with pcb, and all wheels in place.

phosphor bronze contacts and wires soldered in place, later I moved the wires under the motor, it is neater that way

cigarette paper in place ready to solder on the crank pin washers

Crank pin washers soldered, and wires connected to motor, wires later re-positioned

Clearance of cylinders to crank pins, not much, will be moving them out a tad more I think

superstructure being made up, but missing an etch overlay, so will being coming apart again  :doh:

Superstructure on chassis, just fits after fettling and lots of cutting and filing.

that's all for now, until after next weekend when I can do some more, if the missus lets me.

Tony

Online AJP

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 12:29:44 pm »
almost forgot, some pics of the etch's, so you can see what you get.

This is what is left of the chassis etch, one crosshead left, several under layers of solder!

There is another etch, but for some strange reason no photo - next time

Tony

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here