!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Belstone's Scratchbodge Studies  (Read 5052 times)

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
Re: Belstone's Scratchbodge Studies
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 08:02:11 am »
Progress on the N15 has been a bit slow lately as I got distracted working on a Christmas present for my father:

An N15 is basically a J83 with a long bunker, so I thought converting a Hornby J83 would be simple.  But there are so many dimensional errors in the Hornby body that I think my N gauge version might end up closer to scale.  Never mind.

Many thanks to Dr Al for a comprehensive checklist on the Poole Farish chassis.  This one was indeed slightly bent at the centre axle where it is weakest, straightening it cured the centre axle slop, but it still had a tendency to lift one driving wheel slightly regardless of which of the two sets of wheels I used, and which order I fitted them in.  Eventually by very close observation I found the cause, which is that the crank throw on the centre axle is slightly longer than the other two. Only a fraction, but just enough to stop the thing running freely.

Both sets of wheels and axles (GP tank and Pannier) are early Chinese production of Poole design, with blackened rims and fine flanges.  I'm sure I read somewhere that Bachmann had a lot of problems getting the old Farish tooling and machinery set up properly, and the problem with these wheelsets may be a consequence.  The outer two wheelsets have moulded crankpins, the centre one has steel pins pressed into the hub and that will be where the problem has arisen, the holes for the pins have been drilled in the wrong place.  I've had two other  Chinese-made locos with this type of wheelset, and both have had a slight limp and not run as well as they should.

So I have an interesting little problem to solve here. The plan is to fill the crankpin holes in the centre wheelset with epoxy, cut the pins flush on the outer two, then drill and tap all six wheels to take 14BA screws and 2mm Association replacement coupling rods.  The tricky bit will me making a jig to ensure all the holes are drilled in exactly the same place, otherwise I will be back where I started.

Meanwhile I have carried on with a few other jobs, the main one being to replace the pivoted pony truck which was causing some problems with derailments.  I made up a solid chassis extension (attached to the underside of the bunker) with the trailing wheelset in U shaped axle guides and lightly sprung to keep it on the track.  This restricts the loco to fairly large radius curves but it will handle the B6 turnouts on "Longframlington" with room to spare, it is probably OK down to about 12" radius, and I have been able to fit pickups to the trailing wheels using long, thin strips of phosphor-bronze soldered to the existing pickups between the second and third axles, then passing behind the third wheelset.  Clearance is tight but there is just enough room, and the trailing wheels still go round even with the pickups.

I have also added wire handrails, with twisted fuse wire handrail knobs on the boiler. They are a bit overscale, I really need to get some thinner handrail wire.  I'm still trying to work out how to do the cab and bunker footsteps and the running boards between them.  The area under the cab doorways is very thin and weak and doesn't really have enough material to attach footsteps to.  I am now wishing I had done the cab sides in brass rather than Plastikard, but it's a bit late to worry about that.

Richard

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2017, 08:10:08 am »
Cool!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 07:38:20 am »
The N15 is now just about finished:

I found the courage to do the running boards, which are filed and folded from brass angle.  Transfers are from Fox, the lining was a horrible job as it is in two parts. You have to apply a red and grey strip, and then a thin black strip over the top. Just needs some coal in the bunker and a bit of weathering.

69155 was a Carlisle Canal resident for many years, and spent its life working trip freights between the various goods yards around Carlisle. It was one of the last survivors of this numerous class, withdrawn in 1962 just one month after its fiftieth birthday and scrapped at Cowlairs Works a few months later.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2017, 09:01:40 am »
Transfers are from Fox, the lining was a horrible job as it is in two parts. You have to apply a red and grey strip, and then a thin black strip over the top. Just needs some coal in the bunker and a bit of weathering.

You must have an older sheet - Fox now do these in only a single red/grey strips, now separated by a gap so the second black application is not necessary.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2017, 09:52:30 am »
Transfers are from Fox, the lining was a horrible job as it is in two parts. You have to apply a red and grey strip, and then a thin black strip over the top. Just needs some coal in the bunker and a bit of weathering.

You must have an older sheet - Fox now do these in only a single red/grey strips, now separated by a gap so the second black application is not necessary.

Cheers,
Alan

I thought I ordered a new type sheet but I got an old type one (only two weeks ago).  Either a packing error or I ordered the wrong sheet by mistake. I couldn't be bothered to send it back.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:28 am »
I thought I ordered a new type sheet but I got an old type one (only two weeks ago).  Either a packing error or I ordered the wrong sheet by mistake. I couldn't be bothered to send it back.

I forget if the sheet number has changed for the newer ones, in which case you may have got the old number; but Fox have upped their game with these (and more generally with the resolution of the decals) in recent times, and it's most welcome.

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:59:54 am by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2017, 10:05:53 am »
While I can't comment of Fox's BR lining transfers, I can say that I think that the N15 looks awesome! Great job.  8)

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017, 10:20:30 am »
While I can't comment of Fox's BR lining transfers, I can say that I think that the N15 looks awesome! Great job.  8)

Thanks for that, Steve.  Am I right in thinking that you do a 3D printed body for a J6?  I'm looking at doing a small 2mm FS layout and fancy a change from the North-East. I have Ramsey North (ex GN branch) in mind.

Richard

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2017, 10:50:39 am »
Thanks for that, Steve.  Am I right in thinking that you do a 3D printed body for a J6?  I'm looking at doing a small 2mm FS layout and fancy a change from the North-East. I have Ramsey North (ex GN branch) in mind.

No problem Richard, it is a really good model!

I have a J6 loco body to fit the Farish J39 chassis. The tender is taking rather longer to get something that fits the Farish tender drive while retaining the character of the prototype! It'll get there eventually (which I hope is soon as I've got three of these to finish!).

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »

I have a J6 loco body to fit the Farish J39 chassis. The tender is taking rather longer to get something that fits the Farish tender drive while retaining the character of the prototype! It'll get there eventually (which I hope is soon as I've got three of these to finish!).

Sounds good to me, the 2mm Association does an etched chassis kit for the Farish J39 and I'm sure I can cobble together a GN pattern tender somehow. Let me know how much you want for a J6 body.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2017, 12:55:23 pm »
Sounds good to me, the 2mm Association does an etched chassis kit for the Farish J39 and I'm sure I can cobble together a GN pattern tender somehow. Let me know how much you want for a J6 body.

Sent you a PM

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything