!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tomix or Kato  (Read 1263 times)

Offline sparky86

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Tomix or Kato
« on: March 06, 2016, 09:45:12 pm »
Good Evening All

i am looking at completing my E-Series collection of Shinkansens, but i am in a bit of a dilemma, all my shinkansens have been from Kato, however i have seen i can save some money by purchasing a Tomix E7 than buying the Kato version, is there any issues with Tomix regarding build quality or DCC compatibility that would sway me towards or away from it?

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
Re: Tomix or Kato
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 10:30:55 pm »
All but one of my Shinkansen are Kato (the odd-ball is the 300, which is only available from Tomix),so I am a little biased. That said, I know a good few modellers who have Tomix bullets, and rate them highly. I should add that whilst my Shinkansen fleet is predominantly Kato, I have a fair number of Tomix models (some of which are heavily used at exhibitions), and the more recent releases are excellent models. Build quality differences? Nothing between them really

Kato tend to be more DCC 'friendly' than Tomix, so something like the E7 (which is a lovely model; I have the Kato version) may be the better bet.

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 10:39:52 pm »
I only have three Shinkansen sets (0, 100 and 300) so not exactly an expert; the only thing I can add to Claude's post is that many (IIRC not all) Tomix models have power coupling providing pickups from each car for smoother running.

The real experts on this kind of thing can be found here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline sparky86

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:10 pm »
thanks, i did see the 300 and face lift 200 and E4 MAX appear to be tomix exclusives, i know all the modern kato now have a plug and play chip for dcc so that may seal it. i am dreading upgrading my 100/500/700 series to dcc

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:45:13 pm »
I don't have any Shinkansen, preferring limited express or semi rural stuff, but I do have a mix of Kato and Tomix (and some MicroAce) and there is no doubt in my mind that Kato are still well ahead of Tomix in terms of quality of mouldings and reliability of the power train.
Just my thoughts

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:14:56 pm »
I agree with Lawrence - I think Kato have edge on Tomix for quality and running capabilities

Offline sparky86

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:08:04 pm »
thanks for all your feedback, ive opted to go for the 12 car E7 set, on a related note ive also purchased the 16 car 300 series tomix as it was was on for a good price on ebay

Offline toscanopat

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 02:05:21 am »
All of my Japanese N guage is produced by Kato.   I live in Japan and often go to their showroom.  A big advantage in Japan is that repairs can be done by bringing the item to the Kato Showroom.  It is very hard to get repairs done by Tomix, as the items have to be sent by mail.  You might want to consider which company offers the best repair service in the country where you live.  Ease of getting repairs might be a factor.

Paul
Osaka,Japan

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 02:29:42 am »
Greetings from Tokyo  :beers:
"Eigatani Tetsudo" - Japanese and other trains (planning), featuring:

Offline Bluebottle

• If its a smooth runner its got a home on my layout
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
Love them both!!!!, but Kato I think has the edge over Tomix, both of their C57's are fantastic!!

Offline toscanopat

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 01:44:32 am »
Actually my experience has been only with Kato.  When I buy locomotives I test at least 3 to get the best one in terms of running, both slow and fast speeds.  I have a lot of Atlas engines and feel the Kato ones run smoother and pull more.  I have some Intermountain engines and these seem compatable to Kato. I have both US and Japanese Kato prototypes.

Offline johnsom

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:18:56 pm »
I have three Microace steamers which run beautifully - otherwise Kato loco's seem to be a slightly better quality than the others

Offline shaun_ccxr

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 11:34:59 am »
Hello,

I have about 15 sets of Shinkansen.
First there are some points to show for both manufactures

1. Tomix couplers have independent gold plate which transfer the electricity better to the car if you run LED lights inside the cabin. The couplers are also closer so it will look better around tighter turns
2. If you are Jap Rail fans you will probably know Tomix have a lot of limited edition sets which worth alor more than ordinary sets. Comes with nicer package and normally in full car and these are only available in Japan domestically, so if u r a frequent traveler yo Japan these are the holy grail of N gauge Shinkansen

1. Kato are more DCC friendly like said and the couplers are more realistic than Tomix.
2. Kato are more easily accessible in the UK as well if I know

It depends on what model but for some Tomix are better, vice Versa

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here