!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: East Lancashire lines  (Read 94022 times)

danmk1, sp1, lil chris and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online lil chris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
Re: East Lancashire lines
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2015, 03:17:36 pm »
I have been working hard this afternoon, busy fixing up the modules, all connected together now. they do connect so my measurments are not too bad but the second corner board needs support, i will make another trestle if i have the wood. pic to follow later when i am on my computer. now i can start the track plan,where is that anyrail, i need to learn it all again.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:03:45 am by lil chris »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2015, 06:10:47 pm »
Hi Chris,

You're right I'm a Keaw Yed by birth.

With regards to curved platforms, I think in N, unless you use very short wheelbase stock there would be a oversize gap between the platform and the stock, or you need very large radius curves, you could do something line Wigan NW which is on the straight middle section of an 'S' curve.

Regards,

John P

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2015, 07:52:47 pm »
If I am right John P , Keaw Yed means you come from Westhoughton.
I am not really looking at curved platforms, I made a small station on my last layout and there was a gap on them and it was a pain in the ****. Just thinking I can just make a station fairly long before the lines curve at each end, I do not want the train track look.
Here are a couple of pics of my now connected baseboards, only two joins do not have catches. That would be difficult anyway, they would have to be fitted above the board and disguised by scenery because of the shape of the boards. I need to finish the bus wires round the station section and then it will be track laying time, I hope.I am glad my measurements are ok and the boards join, they were all made separately and then fitted together.
 you can see on the boards leading into the corner modules, the track is on the outside of them. One is over a viaduct and the other is a embankment both too the outside edge. So that should enable me to have nice sweeping curves in the the station module, and maybe not both hidden, I may get away with just one tunnel, you have to have at least one tunnel.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:57:41 pm by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2015, 09:23:35 pm »
Looking excellent, Chris, and I can't wait to see all the 'above board' stuff taking shape :thumbsup:

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2015, 10:53:24 pm »
Thanks Mick for the kind comments. Working even more tonight, I have soldered the bananna sockets ready for mounting to the boards, need to fit bus wires to the boards. The bananna sockets are used with short leads to connect each board to the next, the station board will have it's own circuit breaker.
Glad to have finished the soldering, not my favourite job.

just realised the layout foot print is now 7' x 8' , aprox 214x244 for our continental friends.The wife will go mad she thinks I was making it smaller....he..he.....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:58:23 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2015, 11:35:17 pm »
I have been working on a plan for the station, tried to do it in Anyrail but messed up and give up this time. Here is a scan of a drawing on good old pen and paper. On the drawing below is a alternative to the first using a slip instead of two points, the station is a mix between Bury Bolton st and Ramsbottom stations. Bury had a separate goods yard, Ramsbottom's was next to the station that is why the combination of the two. I have a slip spare but if I use the other plan I am short of a rh point, loads of lefts,I do not want to buy any if possible.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 11:38:31 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Offline Marcus Amison

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2015, 01:39:21 am »
This will be a cracker of a layout when complete. Just mind your head when cleaning the track under the apex...Lol :beers:

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2015, 09:00:41 am »
Looks a great layout Chris and looking forward tom seeing some track laid.
Glad to see you are a man after my own heart using pen & paper for the plan - far easier than computer software (but then that's just my opinion - others will think otherwise).
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2015, 08:49:18 pm »
Looks good :thumbsup:
You suffer the same problem as me, always a point short. Use the double slip and be done with it
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2015, 01:05:03 am »
Thanks guys for the comments, I went to Wigan show yesterday which I enjoyed, no work on the railway had a rest. Today I have finished wiring the connector sockets, fitted two buses on the corner boards which was easy. I have also been thinking about the plan for the station, here is a pic of my hand drawing, it was done freehand so the real thing should have smooth curves. The line to the right of the station from platform 1 which is the top platform, no 4 being the bay.I am undecided about yet it depends if I can fit the single slip before the right curve. If I can fit in the slip I get the best of both options, If the slip will not fit I will just keep the outside line. At Bury the line from platform one joined the down line under a bridge for the station buildings and then a road( Castle street) but there was a slip after the bridge to allow access from the up line to the goods yard which I am not modeling, my goods yard is going to be at the front as per my drawing. Anyway let me know what you think especially any errors in my plan.
Lil Chris

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 06:49:14 am »
Looks good to me, Chris. However, the best way to check it is to assemble the track and run some trains around it before fastening everything down. 8-)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2015, 06:58:09 am »
All looking good. Nice Wigan mugshot, too.  ;D :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2015, 09:26:47 am »
Bearing in mind the outer (Up) line runs in a clockwise direction it seems there is no access to the goods yard from that line :hmmm:
If that's your intent then it looks fine, Chris.

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2015, 01:37:37 pm »
Thanks Mick, If you look at my plan the up line actually runs anti clockwise and the top track is the down line from Manchester. Bury station had a slip after the station which allowed access to the goods yard which was to the east and north of the station. Ramsbottom station the goods yard is where I have placed on mine, south of the station, there was a goods shed north of the station, where I have platform 4. Access to the goods shed meant trains backing over a single slip and then drawing forward back over the same slip to the goods shed, or drawing forward,( the wrong way along the up line) to access the goods yard south of the station. The way I see it a pickup goods trains could stop at platform 3, and the shunter would take wagons off via the crossover and then shunt them into the goods yard via the up line. I believe Bury station platform 3 was electric( 3rd rail)has well has steam and platform 3 was multi directional and possibly other platforms. I have pics of the electrics in platform 4 has well, coming out of the station towards Manchester there was of course crossovers to allow the trains back onto the correct line.  The electrics stopped at Bury and did not travel any farther, I remember going on a DMU from Bury to Bacup which was the end of the line in the sixties.
I have thought about trying to put a slip and crossover in before the station but it would make the curves tighter which I want to avoid. At the end of the day I only have so much space and compromises have to be made.
Lil Chris

Online lil chris

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2015, 04:16:30 pm »
More work this afternoon on the viaduct module,I would like to get the viaduct in position asap then I can lay the track over it.
I remembered today to use the glue gun instead of keep waiting for pva to dry,had it for years and hardly used it, knowing my luck you can not buy glue for it anymore.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:25:51 pm by lil chris »
Lil Chris

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations