!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: PECO replacement standard chassis with NEM pockets  (Read 7233 times)

Offline NTrain

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 13925
  • 2mm Association Number: 4102
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • N-Train
    • Awards
Re: PECO replacement standard chassis with NEM pockets
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »
N-Train now has wheels that are a suitable size.

Shapeways FUD probably has the detail to give a reasonable finish, but I have doubts on it's ability to stand up to operation. It is, by nature, fairly brittle, not likely to hold up to pin point axle pressures and also expensive.

WSF is probably strong enough, but the level of detail is probably not up to the job.

New resins, for the growing range of SLS/DLP 3D printers, are arriving at quite a rate. It may be that one of these will be of use. However, I am reading stories of machine reliability at the moment, so not sure we are there yet on this technology. Commecial SLA is very expensive.

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2015, 11:02:00 pm »
Now if you can come up with a 10foot 8 shoe short brake lever chassis for one of these, I'd be up for more than a few!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/vea

Offline McRuss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
Hello,

at the moment I'm converting my rolling stock to the NEM coupler Pockets from Dapol, because I want to change to the Dapol knuckle couplers in near future.
I havn't counted my rolling stock, but it could be possible that I have about 50 Peco 10ft and 9ft and some 15ft chassis to change for the NEM coupler pockets.
And I would be interested in future Peco Wagons and NGS wagon kits with NEM pockets.

Markus

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2015, 11:04:24 am »
Give it 18 months :-)

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2015, 11:39:01 am »
Hello,

at the moment I'm converting my rolling stock to the NEM coupler Pockets from Dapol, because I want to change to the Dapol knuckle couplers in near future.
I havn't counted my rolling stock, but it could be possible that I have about 50 Peco 10ft and 9ft and some 15ft chassis to change for the NEM coupler pockets.
And I would be interested in future Peco Wagons and NGS wagon kits with NEM pockets.

Markus

Is it really necessary to change them all? For example if you, like me, run 'fixed formation' 20 wagon coal trains, which seldom need shunting as individual wagons, you only need change the two outermost couplings to achieve the same effect.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2015, 12:28:30 pm »
Hello all,
I was looking around on I was browsing around on Shapeways the other day and found someone who has produced a 9'6" wagon chassis. A possible substitute maybe?    :)

Rob.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/38PN8H7YA/chassis-9-ft-6?li=user-profile&optionId=56486271

Offline McRuss

• N Gauge Society Number: 18877
    • Isle of Skye Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2015, 02:28:08 pm »
Hello D1042,

yes it is neccessary, because we shunt our wagons on our layouts and at Great-britN meetings.
So only some of our passenger rakes are fixed formations but not all.

Markus

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2015, 03:31:44 pm »
Hello,

Markus

Is it really necessary to change them all? For example if you, like me, run 'fixed formation' 20 wagon coal trains, which seldom need shunting as individual wagons, you only need change the two outermost couplings to achieve the same effect.

That's a fair point, Greg, but still leaves us with the problem of wanting all the other stock in the rake as close connected as our curves will allow. If only all the manufacturers would standardise on a type of adjustable length coupling (some sort of ratchet, maybe). At least NEM pockets would allow short, medium and long to be fitted :hmmm:

Offline D1042 Western Princess

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2015, 05:18:38 pm »
Hello,

Markus

That's a fair point, Greg, but still leaves us with the problem of wanting all the other stock in the rake as close connected as our curves will allow. If only all the manufacturers would standardise on a type of adjustable length coupling (some sort of ratchet, maybe). At least NEM pockets would allow short, medium and long to be fitted :hmmm:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Peco advertise that their N Gauge couplings an accurate scale length between vehicles? I had always assumed this to be the case and it certainly looks not to be too inaccurate.
Regards,
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Offline xm607

• N Gauge Society Number: 5813
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2015, 07:00:08 pm »
Yes that's correct, the buffers are shortened to compensate.
Steve

Offline SheldonC

• N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 05:33:12 pm »
Give it 18 months :-)
Now here we are, 27 months later.....
I no longer buy PECO rolling stock because of the coupling boxes and generally crude chassis.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here