!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ensbourne  (Read 23620 times)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: A New Start
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:26 am »
It looks good, Colin, but I have concerns about the radii of some of those curves :uneasy:
Perhaps it's the camera foreshortening things. What sort of stock do you intend to run, please?

Offline colpatben

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:31 pm »
When I started this project I was aiming for the min radius to be 250mm which is still correct for the inside track of the Up and Down line. there is a slight illusion because the riser is wider at 2 1/2 inches than the 2inch height. I shall check the drawing dimensions and republish the R/H section of the trackplan with a scale rule attached probably tomorrow.

However you are right in that the reversing loop is somewhat tighter than that at the moment, I will probably need to open out this loop and cross the baseboard join at an angle! When you draw in XtrkCad with the 'join track' command you are sometimes decreasing the radius without realising it.

With regard to stock, this is listed in the opening statements when I started this topic on page 1

Hope this answers your query.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:08:55 pm by colpatben »
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »
with a Radius of less than 12" or 300mm you may encounter problems running a Britannia, I believe that they were designed for no less that 10 1/2 radius minimum, but can't find the paperwork at the moment.

Regards,

Alex

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 04:05:56 pm »
Thanks to you both for your observations, I have put some 250mm rad circles on the plan and dimensioned the grid to 100mm squares to show the relationship.

I think that I can just about get 300mm rad for the inner track but will be tight for the reversing loop. Time to experiment on min rad for Britannia, must say I had more concerns regarding the Class 66 (Dapol) on 250 mm curve.
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 04:13:14 pm »
Takes a long time to download files at this time of the day.
Moving to BT Infinity fibre connection tomorrow, that should be fun.
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2015, 04:40:09 am »
I have redrawn the up and down lines to increase all of their radii to 300mm which will fit within the box, the reversing loop is now 250mm and I am pressed to increase this further.

I have refitted all the risers affected by the increase in radius and the reversing loop riser is sufficiently wide to increase its radius to 265 if the cross module joint is not to severe but this still needs testing.

I have attempted to loose lay the track but have found that although the risers are made from a fairly dense foam they do not have a great deal of holding power when you want the points to stay in place with pins as you manipulate the flexitrack to fit. As I observed earlier in this topic the Woodlands Scenics Mod-U-Rail is probably more suited to Setrack.

I have therefore stopped so that I can pre assembled the points/crossover onto a strip of cork (which is the same height (3mm) as the N Gauge track bed supplied with the Module Kit).

Why don't Peco fit a dropper wire to the frog of the points similar to those they fit to the cross over?

Finished right side up.

I will return to test laying the track later this week.

Must add that the BT Infinity fibre broadband that was installed a couple of days ago is great, these pics above took a matter of seconds to upload to my album
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 02:50:27 pm »
Been a month since I last published, and very little has progressed on the layout, this break has been necessary to work on the spring garden and to renovate a bedroom.

The bedroom renovation liberated a pair of bi-fold doors, each section is 6ft 6inches * 12 inches (1980mm * 300mm) so three of these plus a pair of trestles have provided the perfect ‘bench’ on which to construct the second (left hand) module.

Module construction is as before. Just make a polystyrene box!

The location dowels now fitted have proved invaluable in aligning the two modules.

The through bolts holding the two modules together are temporary and will be replaced with toggle catches for quick assembly when finished.

As I have said before these Woodland Scenics module kits are more suited to ridged (Set Track) than flexi track and as one is working at an elevated level on the 2inch (50mm) risers laying out the track plan which is printed on A4 sheets of paper and stuck together with sellotape, is a little tricky. In order to get the curves of the risers correct I will probably need to either make some more ridged curve templates or get some temporary set track and use these for curve templates.

Progress and hence posts will be a little sporadic as the demand of the coming summer will take up more of my time.
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 07:21:36 am »
Lightweight layout update 17th August 2015 No10

Been a while since I last published but the summer has been good. Found some time to make a little progress so here is an update.
I have completed both of the bases at level one, i.e. the up and down lines and the crossover support sections, and covered the risers with plaster cloth. The structure has now become quite ridged.

Unlike a more normal baseboard there will be no access to the underside and hence I have to consider the wiring as an integral part of the track laying, so there is no way one can lay all the track and leave the wiring for later. On the upside it will mean that I will be able to test and I go and get some of the layout running much earlier in the construction process.

There is much published anecdotal evidence that there is a reaction between PVC insulated cables and polystyrene so I have had to make allowance where cables pass through the risers and exit the layout. For this I have fabricated a very cheap plastic conduit (no prizes if you recognise the items used).

I have started to lay the track bed as can be seen.

My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:11 am »
As I have said before ‘Woodland Scenics module kits are more suited to rigid (Set track) than Flexitrack’.

In order to get the track curves correct I have made rigid curve templates using set track. In a series of R2, R3 and R4, each quadrant has a set track straight at each end to enable a reasonably smooth transition from curve to straight to be formed

The flexitrack (rail side down) can then be eased into a smooth curve using the radius template required.

Although this has been said many times Peco code 55 track should only be curved one way and the arrows indicating which is the inside edge are clearly visible.

First curves laid (R4 outside, R3 inside)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 09:46:57 am by Sprintex »
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 10:33:23 am »
I did wonder where my medications had got to ??? Now I can see they've been used on your layout!

It's fascinating watching all this come together. I appreciate the entire board will be very lightweight but does it flex at all when lifted?

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 05:24:41 pm »
It's fascinating watching all this come together. I appreciate the entire board will be very lightweight but does it flex at all when lifted?

The sides are constructed with the profile boards and each corner is interlocked and glued then the sides are glued to the base board there is no flex either diagonally or laterally. Then you use the plaster cloth (similar to Mod-rock) around all sides and folded around the bottom, a hard shell is produced giving a very stable platform.

When the first level track is laid and tested I will split the two modules, weight them and then attempt to demonstrate their rigidity (non destructive of course).

Thank you for your interest.

My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 07:04:28 am »
Lightweight layout update 21st August 2015 No12

Progress to date

Up and down lines track laid, I will have wiring installed and tested soon.

I will not be running Buss wiring around the track as this is not practical for this construction method. Therefore I will install a distribution point that feeds each quadrant.

My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 09:14:21 am »
Had a good couple of days to tidy up the level 1 wiring and make up the first interface board.

Powered up and run a couple of the larger locos to test them on the curves. All went very well.

Now I will need to get to grips with making and posting a video of full rakes traversing the loops. Both the Class 66 and Britannia have sound fitted.
Got an Android phone and Tab but no idea as to what to do next, I know there is a topic somewhere on this forum.

Next job is to wire up and test the CML DAC20 and point motors.

Then onward to completing the reversing loop and the slope up to level 2
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline colpatben

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:18 am »
Lightweight layout update 8th September 2015 No14

I have weighed the layout and it comes in at 13lbs (6kg) as you see it today in the following pictures.

The green string plots diagonal centre line of the upper terminus throat and platform roads

The slope is 3% and gives me 40mm above the track where it finishes at the plywood transition piece at the rear of the layout

Have still not got to grips with posting videos on YouTube as I cannot get the R/H categories side bar to show other model railway posts all I get are Japanese writing and strange vids of unwanted content. Not able to figure out which settings I need to alter!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Novice41

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2015, 10:30:41 am »
For a novice it all looks a bit frightening. I shall look forward to some progress photos.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything