!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ‚Raesfeld‘ - a small rural portable terminus station – 1980‘s Germany  (Read 248 times)

Offline haeckmaen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: quit
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • My flickr photo stream - totally railways
    • Awards
‚Raesfeld‘

I’d like to present what I put together between long-time UK-based projects (also presented on NGF), and that’s some back-to-the-roots-modelling of a Northwestern German branch line in the 1980’s as per my childhood memories. Modelling-wise, the idea was it all should fit onto a sideboard in the family’s living room without anyone disturbed, it should be easy to store away and occasionally to bring it to fellow modellers to give their models a run. Ideally, it should possibly be transported on the train. Defined limit of size was 16 ft by 1 ft (2,4 m x 0,3 m) so far. I chose to go for 4 sections 1 ft x 2 ft each, three of them with a scenic setting and one of them equipped as a basic cassette fiddle yard. Between the scenic and the non-scenic part, I opted for an interchangeable modular ending (as per FREMO N-RE modular standard) so it would be easier to add more scenic sections one time. This took no extra effort, as the layout would have to be split in sections anyway.

Fictitious prototype

At 1 ft, the low depth of the baseboards ruled out convincing depictions of clichéd Bavarian, Rhine Valley or Black Forest mountainous settings from the start, so I chose what should claim to be a representation of a branch line close to the Dutch border (‘Munsterland’). Raesfeld in reality never had a railway station, but is close to the Dorsten to Borken line where it draws its inspiration from. The story goes that post-war, the line survived on the once thriving sugar-beet root transport, which once justified a sufficient loading ramp. With this transferred to road service, what remains is incoming fertilizer vans re-loaded with agricultural produce, and some incoming coal, hardware, timber and cement as spot traffic. Remaining passenger service would be a sole pupils’ train which is loco hauled, so the rundown 4yg commuter coaches are be stabled in Raesfeld until midday and meanwhile, the hydraulic may serve the goods depots on the line. Converted to one engine in steam operational mode, the mechanical signals are marked out of use, but due to the level crossing, the signal box is still manned – at least until 2 PM. The class 212 (in 1988 oriental red guise) hauled goods train may depict one of the last services on the line, including storm-loss trunks and spare ballast for upcoming point removal. A line in this state would have possibly been closed down in or around 1994, when Deutsche Bahn AG was formed.

Some other modelling information:

-   Can be operated DC, but is in fact DCC due to better loco control.
-   Trackwork all Peco 55, German type buffer stops by Arnold and Weinert. Peco point motor.
-   Ballast by Jeweha of Belgium.
-   Telegraph poles by Weinert, Signals by Conrad (static kit built).
-   Station and signal box: Hornby continental range.
-   Goods shed: Kestrel, modified to continental patterns.
-   Railwaymen’s brick houses: Schneider card kit (Leuchtturm Darsser Ort), Ratio roof.
-   Scenery: grass mats by Modelscene of Czech Republic, tree kits by Faller.
-   Vehicles: Lemke Minis
-   Coal conveyor, cobblestones for loading ramp: Auhagen.
-   Bus and platform shelter, small barn, level crossing barriers, coal staith (and several other items): scratch built.

On to the photo survey:

P1050446 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050451 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050453 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050452 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050454 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050457 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050458 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050459 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050460 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050462 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050463 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050464 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050466 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050467 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050468 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050469 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050473 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050477 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050480 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050484 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050485 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050487 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050489 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050494 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050498 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050499 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050500 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050443 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

P1050502 by Matthias Hacker, auf Flickr

Thanks for looking and, of course, all hints, comments and questions more than welcome.

Best regards
Matthias

Online weave

• Awards
Hi Matthias,

Really nice layout. Lots going on. Thank you for sharing  :thumbsup:.

I've been looking for a while at the last pic regarding storage. Has given me ideas although I think I'll have to improve my woodworking skills immensely.

I think I know what you did there but any tips are always handy.

Great stuff. Thanks again.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
That’s a great job.
I love the little cameo scenes and the simplicity of the whole thing.
Brilliant work.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Glad you've kept it simple and not crowded, Matthias. It looks smashing.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Thumbs up from Australia  :thumbsup: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline trevis

• Awards
Love the portability, very elegant. Not to mention the quality of the modelling

TC

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Super job! 

As someone also interested in modelling German railways, I love it!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline mika

• Awards
Hi Matthias,

wonderful modelling. As others have already said: the simplicity of the layout (I mean that in agood way) and its open-ness are amazing. Really reminds me of the landscape in northern Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony). :thumbsup:

It's so totally different from what you've presented before (in terms of topic, not quality). Does Penzance still exist?
Also, I see you're back at Göttingen? And we never even met when you were at Potsdam  ;)

Thanks for sharing your great layout.
Best,
Michael
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:46:47 am by mika, Reason: grammar »

Offline Claude Dreyfus

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12216
  • 2mm Association Number: 4949
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Kanjiyama -JR Eastern in the Springtime
    • Awards
You have been able to pack a lot of atmosphere into a layout only 1' wide. I also like the less is more approach...too many layouts are spoiled by stuffing too much into a small space.

This is really effective.

Offline haeckmaen

• N Gauge Society Number: quit
    • Ebay
    • PhotoBucket
    • My flickr photo stream - totally railways
    • Awards
Thanks for your lots of friendly comments.  :thankyousign:

I've been looking for a while at the last pic regarding storage. Has given me ideas although I think I'll have to improve my woodworking skills immensely.

I think I know what you did there but any tips are always handy.
Cheers weave 

@weave the storage design is just each two of the four box-like sectorized baseboards sandwiched between endplates. Two of them are  1 ft x 1 ft to fit a scenic/non-scenic fiddle combination, the other two are endplates are 1 ft x 1.5 ft to fit two scenic sections. The holes drilled into the endplates correspond to the end plate profile which is to this pattern:

http://www.alkers.de/di/fremo/nre-norm/modul/endprofil_1_gleisig_flach_4_1.pdf

My version is 300 mm instead of 400 mm in width, so shortened by 50 mm each side, the rest of the profile unchanged. Apart from this slight modification, the concept behind the modular standards developed by the N-RE group seemed well thought to me, so no need to re-invent the wheel here.

In addition, here's a list of all standardized modular endplates so far (German text, but the sketches should speak for themselves): http://www.alkers.de/di/fremo/nre-norm/modul/modul_kasten.htm

Love the portability, very elegant.

@trevis thanks and one special elegant feature are the two grips, these wobbly pieces of plastic are indeed a pair of inner Trabant door handles from my car spare box, since they were replaced with the more luxurious arm rest version.

Does Penzance still exist?
Also, I see your back at Göttingen? And we never even met when you were at Potsdam  ;)

Hi @mika thanks for asking. Of course, Penzance (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=438.msg386121#msg386121) is still up and running and the proud of my railway room which I was able to establish at my second home near my workplace in Hamburg. Even after several years of different and not too low-profile jobs, the state of Brandenburg was not prepared to offer an open-ended contract, so I finally re-located my job. However, my first home including wife and daughter  is in Goettingen, and I somehow felt this home would benefit from a small layout at least as well, so Raesfeld came to life. 

That said, Potsdam is not out of focus since there is an active group of modellers interested in the UK railscene, mostly 00 gaugers though, but thoughts are evolving to have a meeting for UK themed (modular) layouts in Potsdam or near Wittenberge in 2019. Who knows, maybe there's a new N gauge UK branch line layout up our sleeves to be presentable by then ;) I'll be happy to drop you a line if it'll actually take place in Potsdam.

Best regards
Matthias

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything