!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Spares and repair discoveries  (Read 143837 times)

Offline Ozymandias

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25305
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Spares and repair discoveries
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:26:03 am »
I'm a bit of a sucker for buying "spares and repair" locos off fleabay and fixing them up. Call me sad, but the sight of a broken, forlorn loco (or guitar/piece of furniture/aeroplane etc) just makes me want to grab it, take it home, give it love and TLC and restore it to former functional glory. I just find it hugely rewarding and therapeutic.

Most of the time I keep them because I get attached to them, and sometimes (if they don't fit with the era of my layout or SWMBO discovers them) I sell them on.

I was stripping down two such - a 7F and what will be a Riddles 07 Austerity in desert sand livery - thinking they were standard metal kits.

When I stripped the 7F I found that it had been scratch-built, with a fantastic level of skill and imagination, out of a bit of wood, some sort of rubber cork, some plasticard, lovingly carved filler and bits of wire.

The Riddles was made out of balsa, plasticard, sellotape and random bits of other loco.

Pics here:

Not much to look at now, but just you wait - they will look fabulous very soon.

What struck me - and the reason I have fallen rather in love with these locos - is the beautifully Heath Robinson way in which they were designed and constructed. It feels rather a privilege to uncover and appreciate how they were made, and to repair and restore such lovely hand-built things.

Now - this is a metal kit body (which I spent hours cutting, sanding and re-fitting those brass edges for! They still look ropey because I haven't sanded of the adhesive yet)) - my question is, is it a Hall class?

"Look on my works, Ye Mighty, and despair!"

Online Hailstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
Re: Spares and repair discoveries
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:10:05 pm »
Yes, it is a Graham Farish Hall - they can be improved by fitting extras such as nbrass locos etched cab sides & lamp irons for the loco body and brake and scoop standards and fire irons for the tender even a Hawksworth tender body (requires an LMS tender frame) can be substituted for the existing one as the Graham Farish Hall is a modified hall and most if not all were built with these - the picture below shows my 2 which had just been upgraded with nbrass locos bogies (I am not part of nbrass locos, but a very satisfied customer)

regards

Alex

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:22:39 pm »
Thanks Alex! :-)

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:18:16 am »
I think you are both geniouses? Genii? Anyway... how about wizards.

Top stuff!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:30:34 am »
Update on the 7F and a recently acquired Grafar pannier (WARNING: the following images show locomotives stripped of their paint and Fully Naked, and may be unsuitable for viewers of a nervous disposition).

I've made the cab for the 7F (plasticard and lots of swearing) - needs the rough edges sanding down, but it's getting there. That poor old Lima tender has had some vicious internal  Dremelling to get it to vaguely fit!

And now the nudity... :-[  I bought a spares/repair Grafar Pannier whose paintwork was so chipped and battered I decided to strip it right back and repaint. Unfortunately the good people of Grafar obviously used arc-welding as their preferred method of paint application and it's taken me about six coats of stripper to get down to this:

It was originally black, so I think I'm going to keep it that way - unless I come across any "interesting" pannier liveries on Google! :)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:37:24 pm »
Unfortunately the good people of Grafar obviously used arc-welding as their preferred method of paint application and it's taken me about six coats of stripper to get down to this:

Does anyone know what Farish originally used? Bachfarish clearly don't use the same now as paint comes off easy (sometimes too easy) - it would be good to know what Farish originally used as primer and or paint and how they applied it such that the finishes are so durable. Would use it on my repaints!!!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:24:26 pm »
Does anyone know what Farish originally used? Bachfarish clearly don't use the same now as paint comes off easy (sometimes too easy) - it would be good to know what Farish originally used as primer and or paint and how they applied it such that the finishes are so durable. Would use it on my repaints!!!

Cheers,
Alan

Get on to one of the guys who used to work in Poole. I believe Matt Richter worked there.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:38:12 pm by DesertHound »
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Online Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 03:28:26 pm »
Probably 2-PAC :D

Offline DesertHound

• N Gauge Society Number: 25245
    • www.thefarishshed.com
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »
I'm a bit of a sucker for buying "spares and repair" locos off fleabay and fixing them up. Call me sad ...

Not at all Ozymandias ... it's the same reason I love Poole built stock. You can acquire spares for them, repair them, bring them back to their former glory and then some. Great work!

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:42 pm »
Probably 2-PAC :D

You joke but I used to find the best thing for stripping Farish Poole paint was cellulose thinners! You might not be far off the mark there!

Love those scratch built locos, they are definitely in need of restoring back to their former glory. Good work with the Hall body too!  8)

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 04:44:04 pm »
I used Nitromors on mine! (metal bodies only)

Regards,

Alex

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 04:50:47 pm »
As one who has made the mistake of using Nitromors and cellulose thinners on plastic bodies... :doh:

I've used Homebase own brand paint stripper on plastic and it doesn't seem to do it much harm (except clear plastic, which it will "frost").

I don't know if it's just not as strong as Nitromors or if it's a different chemical, but it seems to work without leaving a soggy molten glob of plastic where a loco used to be...!

If you try it, try it on an inconspicuous area first though - just in case.... ;)

Offline greenlaneman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25444
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »
I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner to strip paint off plastic bodies.
Used it on a Farish span can that somebody had overpainted (badly) in black and it took off the black and some of the original Farish paint  - never done that before!!
Homeopathic warfare - the smallest army wins!
Terry Pratchett

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 12:20:55 pm »
Quick progress report on some of the re-painting I've been doing...

The naked GWR Pannier and Hall Class are now clothed again! The Hall is going to be "Olton Hall", the loco used in the Harry Potter films - anything to get SWMBO interested... ;)

A bit of touching up, some decals and a final coat of satin varnish and they should look rather lovely.

The other bodies you can see are an old GM 161 101 that had been (very liberally!) painted in BR blue, but is now back to its Hungarian orange, and an old Atlas which had had about 6 coats of green and looked rather blobby!

Oh, and there's a Hawker Hurricane I made from one of the 1/144 Revell kits, which will sit on my airfield once the layout's done.

I also stripped and fixed a badly scratched class 50 and a cracked Minitrix Warship - I was hoping to get away with not having to re-paint the 50's cab, but the colour difference is just too much. Ho hum. The Warship is awaiting her yellow nose...

Offline Ozymandias

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 10:21:46 am »
Bit more painting done - the Warship has her yellow nose (I did this freehand as I couldn't see another way to do it - not sure if I'm entirely happy with the result) :( Needs another coat, anyway.

Olton Hall now has her footplate black and the diesels have their roof panels done - need a second coat of grey on the GM!

I'm going to have to fabricate a battery box for the class 50 and the class 47 - has anyone ever done this and if so what did you use?!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here