Derwent Graphics

Started by Adam1701D, September 27, 2011, 09:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

Has anyone any experience of the bodyside overlays by Derwent Graphics? I've just found a set for a Derby Lightweight DMU on eBay and fancied a look.

From what I can recall, they produced quite a range of sides, printed onto clear acetate sheet - never seen any close up though.

Love to know how they were done, as I'm always looking at alternative methods for my own stuff.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

EtchedPixels

Quote from: captainelectra on September 27, 2011, 09:25:58 PM
Has anyone any experience of the bodyside overlays by Derwent Graphics? I've just found a set for a Derby Lightweight DMU on eBay and fancied a look.

From what I can recall, they produced quite a range of sides, printed onto clear acetate sheet - never seen any close up though.

Love to know how they were done, as I'm always looking at alternative methods for my own stuff.

Be surprised if it is acetate if they are modern. You usually need toluene based inks to print on acetate and that goes down *so well* with health and safety ! It's why the Ultima printed sides cannot be re-run the way they were originally made.

For flat textureless print as opposed to the raised print effect for screen printing a good digital print outfit can do up to A3 one offs on clear sheet (but not acetate) and can do colour matching to pantones including the hard to do deep greens and sunshine yellows. Costs a bit though and a lot of them don't do one offs.

Another little gag btw is to go to one of those funky window decal places that do silly car window decals and get one made, then stick it onto clear sheet. Nicer than vinyl in some ways and better colour, but not all of them are set up to do proper opaques.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

BernardTPM

I've got one of these somewhere (for a MML Cl.170). The printing was slightly see-through so required mounting on white.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations