!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: what are people doing on their layout right now  (Read 251465 times)

Offline texhorse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: what are people doing on their layout right now
« Reply #2640 on: December 31, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »
I experimented with a jar of kids playpit sand and a McDonalds' wooden coffee stirrer.  But it's just not the same.

Wibble.

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Online Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #2641 on: December 31, 2017, 02:49:11 pm »
For the rebuild of Ivebridge I want to use Arduino controlled micro servers for the points. Originally I was going to mount them under the baseboard but it was getting fiddly and would involve servos mounted all over the place, which could be awkward as I'm still experimenting with how to use them.

So what I've done is run drinking straws across the board with 0.8mm piano wire from the points to the edge of the board (or convenient flat areas that I can mount servos in buildings).

Part of my messing about for servo mounts has come up with the idea of building the mounts out of 'not lego' (actually cheap packs of lego compatible blocks from Poundland). I've also discovered "Lego Tape" cheap online that sticks to anything and you can clip bricks to. So I'm testing the idea of clipping the servo mounts to the edge of the baseboard. (I'll probably use the Kraggle on the bricks to make it more secure once it's all working).

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #2642 on: December 31, 2017, 03:48:01 pm »
Im putting endless slates onto N gauge roofs :)

Offline Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #2643 on: December 31, 2017, 05:32:33 pm »
I'm reading the posts here and dipping a spoon into a bowl of sugar. I think I'll see a shrink tomorrow. :laugh3:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2644 on: December 31, 2017, 05:55:02 pm »
@newportnobby did miss out one vital piece of info.  :  what to tell swmbo when she finds me with a far-away look and vacant expression, stirring the sugar bowl instead of my mug !
Do I plead absent minded / age related or will insanity be the only believable plea ?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2645 on: December 31, 2017, 07:35:43 pm »
Spending Crimbo Limbo converting a Roco 6 wheel coach into a Wachwagen inspired by one which used to be found lurking on a loop near the army base at Dülmen (Germany), but seems to have been moved now.  Presume it used to be used in tank trains etc.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here