Riots.

Started by guest2, August 08, 2011, 10:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moogle

I was saying to one of the guys at club last night that I wouldn't be surprised to see riots in places like Liverpool like there was in the 80s.

Lo and behold I read exactly that today! Here in Chester we've been fine, but Liverpool is not that far away...

Riots, high unemployment, tory's in control.
Yep. Must be the 80's. Didn't think time travel was possible...
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Mustermark

I'm seeing this on the news and on the web over here in the US.  It's very disturbing.

I read this on a news website...

"Politicians and police are blaming the violence on criminals and hooligans but some commentators and local residents say its roots lie in anger over economic hardship in a city where the prospects for many youths are dim.

Many of the rioters favor BlackBerry Messenger over Twitter and other social media because its messages are encrypted and private, but the service is widely used and messages can easily be sent to groups."

But if they can afford a Blackberry, things can't be that tight.

Yahoo said this...

"Cameron was expected to toughen the police response to rioters. Britain's Home Secretary Theresa May refused to outline what that might entail, but seemed to rule out more drastic measures.

"The way we police in Britain is not through use of water cannon," she told Sky News. "The way we police in Britain is through consent of communities."

What is she on???  I'm not sure consent of the communities is likely to be as effective as a water canon.  I do agree shooting them isn't what we want in a civilized country, but the armoured vehicles and water canons would be a significant force that stands a good chance of stopping them in their tracks. 

This was the most disturbing aspect for me...

"Rioters were left virtually unchallenged in several neighborhoods and able to plunder from stores at will or attempt to invade homes. "

The idea that the rioters go unchallenged is appalling - how must the local residents feel in that situation?

It's very sad to see Britain showing this ugly face to the world.  I hope it all ends soon.  All the best to all of you affected.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Mustermark

Quote from: moogle on August 09, 2011, 04:06:15 PM
Must be the 80's. Didn't think time travel was possible...

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

lesmond

Quote from: Mustermark on August 09, 2011, 05:54:52 PM
Quote from: moogle on August 09, 2011, 04:06:15 PM
Must be the 80's. Didn't think time travel was possible...

:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Nah.. it's Belfast in 1973  :smiley-laughing:

(and I know it isn't, and our "troubles" are now over and we are all smiles - aye right!!)
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

cudders

No fear of police or society. Thats the root, all the left wing bull thats been peddled for years. Some woman on the radio this morning.. " you can't criminalise them, they have issues and poor up bringings" blar blar.. So what, I was brought up on a council estate, had hand me down shiny trousers for school etc etc.. they are just dim whitted thicko's who cant add up to ten, would rather get smacked up on drugs and steal.. they need water cannons, plastic bullets and a proper kicking..

Looters should be shot..

Rant over..

Cudders
Hoping to make a start on the layout before Xmas!!

lesmond

Quote from: cudders on August 09, 2011, 07:37:46 PM
No fear of police or society. Thats the root, all the left wing bull thats been peddled for years. Some woman on the radio this morning.. " you can't criminalise them, they have issues and poor up bringings" blar blar.. So what, I was brought up on a council estate, had hand me down shiny trousers for school etc etc.. they are just dim whitted thicko's who cant add up to ten, would rather get smacked up on drugs and steal.. they need water cannons, plastic bullets and a proper kicking..

Looters should be shot..

Rant over..

Cudders

Yep, agreed 100%. Well said, Cudders  :thumbsup:

We've a couple of water cannon over here we don't need until next July if you want to borrow them.

cudders

Quote from: lesmond on August 09, 2011, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: cudders on August 09, 2011, 07:37:46 PM

Looters should be shot..

Rant over..

Cudders

We've a couple of water cannon over here we don't need until next July if you want to borrow them.

Yes please and I'll drive one!

findus

Hope everybody is ok, we are at the moment on lock down in newbury, have been told a coach load of muppets on there way from reading  :thumbsdown:

longbridge

Thank goodness my parents moved over here to Oz, I would like to remember my home town of West Heath near Birmingham the way it used to be.

The army should be called in and along with the police these rioters should get the crap kicked out of them, in other words do what their parents refused to do.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

OwL

Im not going to get into the whys and hows of these horrific events (its been said here already)

These riots just prove how rotten to the core England is. Im ashamed to call myself an Englishman now as a result. I feel for those people whom have lost their homes and livlihoods as a result.

You may as well forget all the proud achievements this country had, they now lay in tatters, trampled by the feet of hoodies more intersted in looted electronics and this I hate to say is this countries future........................ :'(

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Pete Mc

I'd like to add my tuppence worth to this subject.It has everything to do with a total lack of respect and common decency from todays yoof.I.saw on Sky News tonight that a coloured lad with a jamfaken accent,yes you read that correctly,bleat on about there being nowhere to go,nothing to do all day and night and it was only a matter of time before this was gonna happen.
Now correct me if I'm wrong,but if you go round smashing places up,then what ultimately happens is the facilities that already exist will dwindle.What are they gonna do when they need items such as clothes and food and other everyday things,only to find the shop shut due to the previous nights looting and violence.
More anarchy because they are being deprived of lifes basic necessaties is my guess.
Honestly,if the youth of today put as much effort into their studies as they do into trying to con,steal and generally get money for nothing,then this country of ours would be a better place for all of us.
Now don't get me wrong on this,I'm 41 years old,but as a bus driver and part time plumber,I see the dark side of what our next generation gets up to.Only 4 sundays ago while operating on one of our local bus routes,in broad daylight,in front of passengers on the bus which included 2 small kids,a gang of hooded youths bombarded the bus with stones and coins breaking 2 windows and scaring the brown stuff out of the kids on board.This cannot be blamed on the current government,they did not foresee this,this came about or is used as an excuse but the rot set in years ago.We saw in the 80's that the riots in places such as Toxteth were over local issues,people are saying it was to do with the shooting of a so called gangster/drug dealer by police.
What excuse do all the others in brum,manchester and liverpool and other towns and cities cite fir this behaviour?
I blame the last Labour government for its liberal,politically correct,lily livered,hand wringing,human rights motivated/obsessed rabble that are now telling everyone that its all the nasty tories' fault.Many of the people orchestrating this unrest only know what living under a Labour government is like,therefore this falls firmly at their feet and furthermore,as I have worked all my adult life,cannot understand their work ethic or total lack of it.You only have to watch Jeremy Kyle in a morning to see this.
Its only a year before the Olympic games and although I think that we could use the money for other more important things than another 2 week sportfest,other nations must be looking on in horror.
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

lesmond

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes please and I'll drive one!

[/quote]

Apparently we are sending you a "number" of our armoured police Land Rovers, a bit like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lancashire/3747220674/

which are so common here they don't even raise an eyebrow, but can take a fair bit of abuse. Mind you, up to recently our patrol bobbies had machine guns..

I do agree with Pete Mc though, most of this can be put down to the nanny state, human-rights-at-all-costs, here, have some DLA, left wing, liberal politicans we recently had as "leaders". I could go off on one, but Lawrence et al would only moderate me (joking - he's a lovely bloke, really  :thumbsup:), so I'll shut up now  :smiley-laughing:

Sithlord75

This was what one of the commentators in the national newspaper, The Australian, was saying about it down here:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/less-political-rebellion-more-mollycoddled-mob/story-e6frg6zo-1226111939883

May be of interest to some.

Cheers
Kevin
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

EtchedPixels

Only much of it isn't just kids, some of them its turning out are employed or reasonably well off (designer clothes, fancy phones). UK press is beginning to report some of the ages in the court cases - some middle aged, a school assistant and so on...

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

cudders

Agree pal.. The "terrorist/Criminal rights Law" as it should be called has crippled this country and panders to every thief/criminal and freak out there at the expense of normal people. The politicians have no back bone to get rid of it..

I wish I was Prime Minister.. I would sort this country out for sure..

Cudders

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations