barrow hill

Started by bluedepot, August 08, 2011, 07:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi,

has anyone been to barrow hill?

what's it like to visit when there is no special event on? (i notice you can visit at weekends)

is there anything else of interest in the area or any good train spotting locations?

cheers

tim

longbridge

Hi Tim, I have never been and living in Oz I guess I will never go, I downloaded nearly one hour of Barrow Hill video clips from youtube, might give you some idea of what to expect.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Pete Mc

Hey up,I went to Barrow Hill last year for the Model Rail Live exhibition.Its not a bad place to walk round,but as the purpose of my visit was for Model Rail Live I wouldn't know what its like to visit any other time.It also accomodates the Deltic Preservation Society,which was the building in which the layouts were exhibited.Last year they had Royal Scots Grey doing train rides for a while.This year,Tornado is going.
I'm going on the sunday as I'm working on the saturday of the show.
Pete
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

bluedepot

hi,

thanks for the replies

cheers i'll take a look on youtube

i was thinking i might go before then, it's only an hour and a half away on the train for me, and then i can probably get a bus to barrow hill, or get there somehow.... i thought i'd just go at a normal weekend to see all the preserved locos stored there (of which there are 20+ so i read, steam, diesel and electric), as well as some mainline locos undergoing repairs, hnrc locos stored etc. etc. but not sure how much i'll get to see of these.

yes i thought about going to model rail live but then i thought it might just be too crowded that day!

if i do get to barrow hill i'll post some pictures on the photos board. this summer i also want to visit peak rail heritage line in derbyshire and the nene valley railway diesel gala (in cambridgeshire).

so far this year i've been to the gcr loughborough, gcr nottingham, ecclesbourne valley, northampton & lamport, battlefield line and the midland railway centre butterley, plus fond de gras in luxembourg and a lot of mainline trains there too, so getting around quite a lot lately...

tim

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £15.67
Below Goal: £84.33
Site Currency: GBP
16% 
May Donations