!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: George Street II  (Read 75211 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: George Street II
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2013, 04:22:47 am »
I see you've opted for the continuous run, this time, too. Looking good!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2013, 10:05:05 am »

I've sprayed the whole track area humbrol dark brown before ballasting. This really helps to give the track a realistic look. I'm not a fan of bright orange rusty rails!

The platform sides are coming along well and the station building is being built albeit slowly.

Offline Chinahand

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18337
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2013, 10:44:09 am »
That weathering really makes the trackwork look at lot finer now that just the rail tops are shiny. Nice job.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2013, 11:40:48 pm »
Is that still code 80 track, Shaun, or have you swapped to code 55?

George

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2013, 05:34:04 am »
Great work Shaun  :thumbsup:
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline BigT

• N Gauge Society Number: 17931
  • 2mm Association Number: 4261
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:34 am »
Trackwork looks great. I like the sweeping curves

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 03:48:08 pm »
Is that still code 80 track, Shaun, or have you swapped to code 55?

George

This is still code 80 as I re-used a lot of points and track from GS 1. I do like it to look as realistic as possible though and find painting rails bright rust just draws attention to the high rails. In reality the dirt would tone down the track which is why I spray my track with a couple of coats of Humbrol dark earth.

If I was starting from scratch I would prob use code 50 but I do have quite a few older GF wagons and coaches with old pizza cutter wheels too and not sure these would run through the finer track.

Shaun
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:15:28 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 11:29:45 pm »
As a bloke who is stuck with code 80 himself, I feel better about it when I see your excellent results.

Cheers!  :thumbsup:

Offline BernardTPM

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3490
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2013, 11:51:47 pm »
This is still code 80 as I re-used a lot of points and track from GS 1.

If I was starting from scratch I would prob use code 50 but I do have quite a few older GF wagons and coaches with old pizza cutter wheels too and not sure these would run through the finer track.
Shaun
Shaun, the Peco 'Code 55' is not like 'normal' track in that there are no raised moulded plastic fittings on the inside edge of the rail, so there's at least as much clearance as with Code 80 which does have plastic fittings to hold the rail. The Peco 'Code 55' has a double foot, the lower foot holding the whole rail in place very firmly. If you look at the point blades they are slightly recessed in and the same depth as those fitted to the Code 80 points too.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 01:01:47 am »
This is still code 80 as I re-used a lot of points and track from GS 1.

Shaun
Shaun, the Peco 'Code 55' is not like 'normal' track in that there are no raised moulded plastic fittings on the inside edge of the rail, so there's at least as much clearance as with Code 80 which does have plastic fittings to hold the rail. The Peco 'Code 55' has a double foot, the lower foot holding the whole rail in place very firmly. If you look at the point blades they are slightly recessed in and the same depth as those fitted to the Code 80 points too.

Thanks Bernard....you are such a fount of knowledge. Maybe one day another layout may have code 55 or even the newer track just out from one entrepreneur

Are you trading yet again so I can get some bits like another lighting tower. Maybe PM me on this issue. Cheers Shaun .

Offline beestie

• a 20 year old modeller and a BMW 3 series lover
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 08:20:05 am »
great layout Shaun , but yes i can confirm that , my farish poole 25 runs just aswell
as my 108 dmu on code 55 track . so it is do able but yeah its hard to tell that that is code 80 though  :greatpicturessign:
James Beeston(aka mrjamestrain)

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 10:39:12 pm »
Two Dapol signals wired up tonight to DCC controller and push to make switches to test them.......what fun! They will be DCC controlled eventually. Also more platform edging stuck down and some parts for point rodding bases cut tonight from evergreen strip! I must be mad!

Shaun

:wave:

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »
OK so what are these?

DSCF2356
DSCF2356

Need another clue?

DSCF2354
DSCF2354

Well I'm sure you guessed - it's that effort to put point rodding in again and I wanted to try and improve on my previous efforts and do it before ballasting as some rods need to look like they go under the track.

DSCF2363
DSCF2363

I was quite pleased until I realised it was a long way to the signal box and I may need to make another 45 point rodding holders for this part alone! Hey Ho,  I guess, I'll not be bored when SWMBO is at work three nights a week!!!!

So that one piece of rodding will need to travel all this distance roughly to the middle of the layout.

DSCF2363
DSCF2363

I want to not rush things this time and put things down in the right order, so I'm working hard to resist the temptation to ballast!

Can anyone tell me if relay cabinets were used in semaphore days as I found a load tonight and could place them on my layout too of they were appropriate.

Keep up the good work everyone. I shall be back in the garage tomorrow night too!

Shaun
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:31:37 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:39 pm »
This may be a bit shaky but I thought I'd give a little video tour of GS II so far. Excuse the mess and tools everywhere!

Tour of GS II

Shaun
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:58:35 am by Sprintex, Reason: Modified link to make video more accessible »

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2013, 10:51:23 pm »
Crikey Shaun,the amount if work you have done is incredible.The train runs really well as well and with such a long train to pull it looks so much more realistic.

Is the funny whining noise thats heard a couple if times the Dapol semaphore signal or are you using slow action point motors?

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything