!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: George Street II  (Read 75212 times)

Offline dodger112958

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: George Street II
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 09:11:01 pm »
 :greatpicturessign:

Looks absolutely great with the track down. My plan was to have the track parallel with the edge of the baseboard at the front ??? After seeing, this I might have a little rethink.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 10:26:55 pm »
I'm pleased to announce that all track for GS II is laid....I even fixed some buffer stops down in the stabling sidings tonight from the box of bits pulled off the last layout....hey, was that modelling I just did then.

Oh and I started to build tunnel mouths today thinking I ought to establish where these will be. I hope to hide most of the curves at the ends under the scenery....a good excuse to use my big bag of trees!

More pics to follow when there's something good to show?

Regards

Shaun

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 12:24:50 am »
Well I'm a bit bemused tonight. All was going well on my track laying which uses electro frog points. The loops were working and I have the sidings working but I have a short running from the loops to the bay platform tracks. I have pulled contacts out, replaced them, tried various things with no joy so tomorrow I shall go right back to the loop point and lay them one by one so I know they work without shorting, I thought I had done this but obviously not!

Never mind, hey ho, tomorrow's another day!

Shaun

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 06:15:19 am »
Could it be an almost invisible strand of wire or solder?

I've had the same sort of thing and it's so annoying when you want to get on. Hope you find the culprit quickly.

Dave G

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 11:44:23 am »
Could it be an almost invisible strand of wire or solder?

...., or crossed the bus wire on one piece of track. That was frustrating when that happened to me, took and age to realise. Fortunately I found it before I started to check to see if a SEEP motor (20+) wasn't wrongly wired to the bus.

Good hunting Shaun.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »
Well I conceded defeat. Not least because my efforts broke the point. I managed to get both loops working tonight to I could have a little play but will put in an insulfrog point in the hope this solves some of the mysteries do DCC and electro frog points. I'll get there, but only once it's right!

Shaun

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 03:21:26 pm »
Hurrah, all short circuits solved. But on a downer as a cl 24 suddenly decided to stop working. The lights still respond through the dynamis controller but it won't work. Deleted the settings and reprogrammed it but still the same, lights and no movement. Any ideas? Maybe need to send it away! :(

Shaun

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 03:24:06 pm »

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:51 pm »
Shaun,take the body off the chassis and check the prongs that run from under the pcb to the motor contacts.They're only a touch fit so one of these may have worked its way apart from the motor contact.Also,try another decoder on it from one of your other loco's.These two quick checks will determine whether its either the decoder or pcb thats at fault.

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 10:08:29 pm »
DSCF2159
DSCF2159

Building the tunnel mouths and arched wall section is continuing. I just thought I'd have a little pose to see how close to the track they will go and how many arches will be needed....(LOTS!)

They will go both sides of the track at the front of the layout, making it look like the railway was put in a cutting. Well that's the plan.

Had fun playing operating the trains tonight!

shaun

:wave:

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2013, 08:25:34 pm »

Well the shot at the bottom is showing the first of three back boards fitted in place. On this layout I will be curving the back scene from front to back avoiding corners in the scenic area. The tunnels are now glued in place and the station will go in this area.

I've made a little vid (using my camera - so sorry about the quality) to prove that trains are running around. Hope you like it.
DSCF2243

Progress will probably slow down once I return to work, but I'm making the most of the available time. I'm currently building lots of arch wall sections with the first section having been glued down. I've still got loads more to make!!!

Have fun everyone. I need to get saving, Warley is on its way!!!

DSCF2237
DSCF2237

Shaun
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:32:24 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 09:36:18 pm »
Great stuff Shaun. You're really getting on with this one now. Did you manage to sort the 24?

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 10:11:32 am »
Great stuff Shaun. You're really getting on with this one now. Did you manage to sort the 24?

Thanks Chris, I really hope you are Ok at the moment. Maybe you'd like to pop over the big road for a play as it would be good to see you!

I haven't done anything with the 24 yet, I need to see if it works without the chip from a DC controller. The lights are responding to the DCC controller so am a bit mystified and its def the right way around before anyone asks!!

Would be good to see you.

Shaun

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 06:10:03 pm »
DSCF2277
DSCF2277

I've stuck the main parts of two more lengths of Scalescenes arched wall to the layout. As this wall curves and follows the curve of the track, I decided I wouldn't fix all the extra pieces of these wall sections until the arch bases was firmly glued in situ. Now I will add the other pieces and add them and bend them as I go along. The desired 'cutting' effect is slowly appearing and will be really great once the same walls are added to the other side of the track. As you may see, there are some faint pencil lines on the sundela. One is a possible placing of the wall - a second line a bit further out is another options for positioning of the wall which allows for maintenance workers to move beside the line in the cutting. I'll probably opt for this as it will provide opportunity for further detailing and cameos etc.

regards to all NGF members

Shaun

:wave:

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20957
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
    • My layout photos on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 10:07:29 pm »
I haven't done anything with the 24 yet, I need to see if it works without the chip from a DC controller. The lights are responding to the DCC controller so am a bit mystified and its def the right way around before anyone asks!!

Yes we'll have to arrange something and I'll bring my HM2000 over so we can test it on DC.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here