!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: George Street II  (Read 75210 times)

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22486
    • Awards
Re: George Street II
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 06:35:45 pm »
DSCF2117
DSCF2117

5 of 6 fiddle yard loops are now laid and testing has been taking place with various items of stock.

Once this is done and I have enough track I shall start to plan the gentle curves of the visible section and plan where to put points for the bay platform. There will be next to no track parallel to the edge of the baseboard!

I can enjoy trains running in one direction and cant wait to see trains running in both directions.

Happy modelling.

shaun

:wave:

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:48 pm »
nice line up of trains in the fiddle yard

what size boards is this new layout on?

what have you done with your old layout?

tim

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 09:59:41 pm »
nice line up of trains in the fiddle yard

what size boards is this new layout on?

what have you done with your old layout?

tim

Tim,

The old layout was stripped of all reusable items, track , trees, resin buildings etc and the rest was scrapped. My frames did not have the sundela stuck on so I bought new boards and screwed them to the old frames and re-used them. The new layout will be 16 x 2 with a simple through station and two stabling sidings which are accessed from the bay platform tracks.

In the next few weeks I hope to have two circuits laid and will start the seriously tedious job of building a million scalecenes retaining arches/walls as one section of the layout will look as if it is in a cutting.

I will keep posting pics as things progress.

Thanks for your interest.

Shaun

Offline bluedepot

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »
ah ok I loved your old layout

looking forward to seeing pictures of the new one developing though

tim

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 12:10:25 am »
This is my kinda layout Shaun. Loving the full length trains, they'll look amazing snaking through your sceneic section when you get it going   :) Really like the era you have it set too.  I'm following this with interest  ;)

All the best,
Mark

Offline Pengi

• Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 07:36:17 am »
Looking forward to this Shaun :thumbsup: - good luck with the Scalescenes arches
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 01:40:15 pm »
DSCF2120
DSCF2120

After getting a supply of flexi track I have started to lay the real line of the track, trying to include some nice flowing curves. In case its hard to work out the length of the train, I think its about 22 wagons.

I might have a loop laid again by the end of the day if I can get the cross over points installed!

Shaun

Online mika

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 07:58:58 pm »
Hi Shaun,

nice one. Those sweeping curves are great. Even better with those long trains... :ngauge:

All the best,
Michael

Offline 60006

• N Gauge Society Number: 21890
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:42 pm »
This looks like it'll be a very nice layout. Can't wait to see more.

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 11:33:10 pm »
Both loops are now laid and running. All was going well until I realised one engine was derailing while coming out of the fiddle yard. In my haste to resolve this I manage to destroy a point. So tomorrow will see an unnecessary expense and we'll be back to running in both directions. Aaaargh!

Today I also started the mammoth task of building loads of retaining arch walls from scalescenes.

More pics to follow another day. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 02:06:52 pm »
Well this is the station area with some long gentle curving platforms to be built here.

DSCF2121
DSCF2121

This is a view towards what will be two stabling sidings ideal for empty coaches, parcel stock, engines awaiting their next duties, DMUs or even departmental stock. The two tracks to the left will be the sidings and will have engine run around points.

DSCF2123
DSCF2123

This final pic taken this morning shows the completed fiddle yard and completed main lines. I'm really pleased with the lack of track parallel to the edge of the boards and the gentle curves are really effective. In fact the only part where the track is straight for any length without wanting it to be is where there are three adjacent points. I'm now really enjoying watching the 9 coaches trains run around past the goods trains. I think I better do some ironing tonight to keep SWMBO happy! To give an indication of length, at the top is a 7 coach HST and a 9 coach passenger train where the station will be.

DSCF2126
DSCF2126
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:09:05 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Offline mereman

• N Gauge Society Number: 24184
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 02:09:31 pm »
Looks really good.
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 12:31:06 am »
So at one end, the track for the bay platform has been laid. Long enough for 9 coaches! but it needed to be this long so my main line express passenger trains could reverse back into the stabling sidings.

Only the inside track will have a platform face with the other having just enough platform for one coach or to let engine drivers out!

DSCF2128
DSCF2128

And at the other end are those stabling sidings. Only one more to put down and all track will be laid for the whole layout.
I'm liking how the sidings also follow the gentle curve of the mainline!

DSCF2129
DSCF2129

As you can see I have also got out a few buildings to see what ideas I can come up with. I may put point rodding in again from the signal box and try to include some huts and a little depot/base for permanent way staff. That should provide a little cameo and lineside interest.

Now I need to think about what what details need to be fixed down before ballasting starts. There is some more soldering to do first too, to bring the sidings to life.

Happy modelling everyone!

Shaun

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:32:45 am by Shaun Harvey »

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 01:44:13 am »
And there I was,not so long back thinking that one of the best,if not the best layout on here was doomed and we wouldn't see a new one come to light for ages!

This is looking fantastic Shaun.From some of the photo's,this looks bigger than the size you say it is.What I mean is that it looks wider than the 2 foot that it is,then on the later ones you can see that it is in actual fact 2 foot.

The full rakes you are using look miniscule as well.Then again,with a hst plus 7 coaches thats approaching 4 and a half foot in length alone.I suspect seeing that screaming along going around the scenic part looks great.

I nicked your idea about having no straights along the board edge and agree it looks a lot better.Just need to get more track laid,but fitting sound into my fleet seemingly is taking my focus away from the layout building at the moment.

Absolutely top work Shaun,can't wait to see this develop further.

What points are you using?Are you using any of the setrack ones or are they streamline medium radius ones?

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline Shaun Harvey

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 01:30:26 pm »
Thanks Pete for the great comments....Very kind!

The end curves are set track and in the fiddle yard there are some set track points so the outside line can get to all the other fiddle yard lines. All other points are medium radius.

I was able to re use most of the points from GS 1 and purchased a few new ones, not to mention the one I wrecked the other night!

It all seems to be going to plan!

I may put the curved back boards on the ends soon as well as the centre back scene board so I can see what scenic area I have to develop.

Cheers

shaun

:thankyousign:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:32:00 pm by Shaun Harvey »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100%