!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: No-Ox Track Cleaner  (Read 4369 times)

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
No-Ox Track Cleaner
« on: April 17, 2013, 02:19:00 pm »
Hi All :wave:

The recent "DCC to Analog" thread ( http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=13029.msg133537;topicseen#msg133537 which highlighted "dirt" as being the major problem got me looking around to see if there was anything new out there and I came across this thread in Model Railroad Hobbyist http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/7169 which talked about a product I had not heard of before - namely NO-OX.

I found more about it here  http://www.model-railroad-infoguy.com/no-ox.html

Has anyone any experience of this stuff - I have read the reviews and have found it an eBay, but nowhere else yet.

I currently use a CMX Clean Machine and also have some of the Noch cleaning pads, but this stuff looks to be a longer lasting solution.

I don't mind taking a punt on buying some - but it would be sometime before one would really know if it worked

Offline Chinahand

• N Gauge Society Number: 18337
Re: No-Ox Track Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:03:30 pm »
I too have a CMX Clean Machine which I use with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) and have found it to be brilliant.

Two things struck me when looking through the NO-OX instructions, the first being a suggestion that you should "first clean your track with fine sandpaper". As far as I'm concerned that is a huge NO, NO !

The second thing was the actual label on the tin which says "Iron + O = Rust". Since most track is either nickel silver and/or cupro-nickel there is no iron in it, which rather makes a mockery of their claims. 

I don't think I will bother with it.  :thumbsdown:
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »
I just dismissed the NO-OX as a load of bull :D

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:53:15 am »
I agreed with being sceptical about it's claims, and yes the "clean you track with sandpaper" is a definite NO, NO

I was more intrigued by the fact that if it is so good, why has no-one mentioned it. However, it's a bit like "Bulldog Snot", until someone tells you, it's not something that is regularly advertised in the media.

I try to do some more research and see what I can find.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:56:56 am by trainsdownunder »

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:47:25 am »
I agreed with being sceptical about it's claims, and yes the "clean you track with sandpaper" is a definite NO, NO

I was more intrigued by the fact that if it is so good, why has no-one mentioned it. However, it's a bit like "Bulldog Snot", until someone tells you, it's not something that is regularly advertised in the media.

Sorry, Colin, but that will be Bullfrog Snot.
Not sure I'd like traction tyres made of Bulldog Snot, or any kind of snot come to that :worried:

Offline Only Me

• Reader of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Exhibition Layout - Tormouth
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:16:05 am »
However, it's a bit like "Bulldog Snot", until someone tells you, it's not something that is regularly advertised in the media.

Sorry, Colin, but that will be Bullfrog Snot.
Not sure I'd like traction tyres made of Bulldog Snot, or any kind of snot come to that :worried:

Tried BullFrog Snot and it was next to useless IMO... waste of 20, I have 19/20th of a pot left, yours for a tenner if you want it :D

Offline moogle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 5694
  • Mad as a hatter and proud!
    • PhotoBucket
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
NO-OX is an electrical grease that stops metals from oxidising.
I read somewhere that the U.S navy coated their ships hulls from rusting!
So it must be good stuff.
A good model railway review can be found here:

http://www.nscale.net/forums/content.php?32-Track-cleaning-Linn-Westcott-and-No-Ox

Please note that in step one where he says 'such as fine sandpaper', a track rubber is just as good as its used to get rid of the oxidisation.
The mention of Q-tips in step 10 means 'Cotton Buds' this side of the pond.

I've yet to try this myself but may do at a later date as I hate track cleaning!

p.s Maplins sell a similar product but be warned:
It contains UV protective stuff which turns blue over time so no good for our needs!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:10:53 pm »
Sounds interesting cheers for sharing

Who is gonna try it and report back then?

Owl - wanna go halves on a tin of this stuff and test it out on a section of track???

I take it this stuff can't damage the track or loco wheels in any way????

Tim

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:33:33 pm »
I'm not sure what use it would be on most nickel silver rail because

a) nickel silver doesn't oxidise quite the same way as steel rail does

b) nickel silver oxides generally conduct reasonably well anyway (although some of the gunk formed in a high sulphur atmosphere won't)

I can imagine steel rail (which is popular for many things in some parts of the world) would benefit.

Alan

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 07:32:56 pm »
is this 'no-ox' available anywhere in the uk? 

tim

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 02:13:40 am »
There appears to be a product called No-Ox-Id paste on eBay that is also sold in radio spares places. I don't know if its the same stuff, but it looks to have a similar appearance. I haven't found a UK source as such.

I am sceptical of it's use though, as everywhere I have looked to date indicate it to be a protective grease with electrical conductivity properties. I have read through several reviews from the US MRR sites, and whilst I have no doubt that it probably does protect, I am not sure if it is something I will try. Most of the reviews do state that the users have experienced a certain amount of "slippage" on gradients - backs up the "grease" label.

The instructions for use also indicate that this is best applied after a thorough cleaning of the track with IPA (or similar) and be careful of applying too much. However there are reviews and comments covering a period from July 2010 to March this year on the link that Moggle posted earlier on this thread that should answer most queries for people.

This is a product which I feel would suit users of outdoor tracks, which are obviously exposed to harsher conditions, or possibly layouts that are prone to damp conditions. However, living in SA Oz doesn't quite throw up the same weather conditions and my layout has more problems with the heat  rather than the cold/damp.

Also, as EtchedPixels and Chinahand point out most of us are using nickel-silver there is probably little benefit.

Online ozzie Bill.

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 07:57:35 am »
Hi, the lads in the US swear by it and those who have used it reckon they hardly ever need to clean their track again. suggest that you look at some of the comments on n scale net to verify the thoughts on this stuff. Have just been sent some, which I have not yet used as my layout is still only 1/2 a layout, in the rebuild phase :). Cheers, Bill.

Offline N-Gauge-US

• N Gauge Society Number: 26208
  • British N-gauge N-thusiast from the US
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 05:17:14 pm »
Hi, the lads in the US swear by it and those who have used it reckon they hardly ever need to clean their track again. suggest that you look at some of the comments on n scale net to verify the thoughts on this stuff. Have just been sent some, which I have not yet used as my layout is still only 1/2 a layout, in the rebuild phase :). Cheers, Bill.

How did it turn out for you, Bill? Did you ever wind up using the stuff? I ran across some testimonials today and was intrigued.
Check out Avondale - My heritage railway themed layout :)

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29371.0

Online ozzie Bill.

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 06:51:39 pm »
Hi. Just n the process of pulling my tiny layout up (again) to try again - 3rd time lucky me hopes. So, no, I haven't used it yet so cannot answer from personal experience, sorry. Cheers, Bill.

Offline JayM481

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 10:13:44 pm »
Sounds like a conductive grease as mentioned. It'll leave a residue on the track, though a conductive one. Despite how nickle-silver oxidizes, it still does, so a "barrier cream" will have the same effect. I'm not sure I'd want to coat the track with something that could impede traction.

As for the USN coating their ships in stuff like this, I highly doubt it. They may use something similar for electrical connections in equipment though. as far as I know US sailors chip and paint like any other proper Navy does.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here