!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Fleischmann Piccolo N gauge track  (Read 12929 times)

Offline D9020 Nimbus

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Fleischmann Piccolo N gauge track
« on: May 31, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »
I've been trying this track with a view to using it for a layout; I find using flexible track in this scale to be very fiddly and, as well as being pre-ballasted, the points are more gentle than Peco Setrack and there are live frog points which don't require special wiring. They will also accept more different types of wheels than Kato track. But I do have a few Dapol models which derail on the points (although others of the same types don't)--may be a back-to-back issue.

The most unusual case I've encountered is a Bach/Farish (new type) class 47 which runs fine on Kato track but which is completely dead on Fleischmann--most bizzarre.

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Fleischmann Piccolo N gauge track
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 11:53:26 am »
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the different track systems that appear to be within the Fleischman N gauge range. 

There are two distinct types with catalogue numbering as 91** and 22***.  As far as i can see the difference seems to be that the 91** are ready ballasted (Piccolo track) the 22*** series being unballasted, the prices are obviously quite different.  Also there seems to be a difference in the point motors with the 22*** series, they appear similar to the Roco motors I noted some years ago in Germany. 

Since Fleischmann were effectively taken over by Roco in 2008, I wonder if the 22*** series is in fact the "old" Roco track suitable updated?  Is there any indication that the Piccolo track will be discontinued in favour of the seemingly "new" 22*** system?  Also is there a compatability question?

Offline NClight

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Little Trains (ex Yugoslavia regional) portal and forum
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:35:07 am »
22*** is actually Roco track, with all Roco accessories.
After merger (Fleischmann and Roco are equal partners under Modelleisenbahn GmbH) Fleischmann took over whole N gauge range from Roco, including tracks.
Compatibility problems in system geometry and rail height are obvious. Ex-Roco, now Fle 22*** track is 99% compatible with MiniTrix (Trix) track, with less switches/points but more fixed radii ("setrack") choices.

HTH
Nicholas
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Can a man ever have enough trains, after all one wife is the maximum we can cope with, we need to collect something!
John Woodall, WorldRailFans

Offline Crackerbill

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:37:34 am »
Hi  Nicholas

Thanks for your info.

I had contacted Gaugemaster (The Signal box) in reference to these two track systems and they were very uncommunicative saying that the only difference was that the 22*** series was unballasted.

As one can easily see from the illustrations, this is just not true so I believe the answer was just a put off standard reply.

My first thoughts that the 22*** series was in fact the old Roco system agrees with your post.

I did have some of the Roco "stuff" when I was in Germany some years ago.  It was definitely inferior in quality to the Fleischman track, but was more compatible with other systems such as Minitrix and Peco.  Connecting Peco to Fleischmann is a pain as the Peco rail joiners are incompatible.  I would still use Fleischmann in preference to Roco but change any fishplates to Fleischmann type.

Cheers
Bill

Offline NClight

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 08:31:17 pm »
Hi Bill,
You may find track geometry diagrams useful:
For Fleischmann piccollo mit Shotterbettung (with ballast): http://www.fleischmann.de/fileadmin/downloads/PDFs/Technikinfo-N-Gleis_m._Schott.pdf
For Roco / Fleischmann ohne bettung / without ballast: http://www.fleischmann.de/fileadmin/downloads/PDFs/Technikinfo-N-Gleis_o._Schott..pdf

Main difference between Roco and Fleischmann is different geometry and basic length of the track segments, and there is also a rail height.
Roco and Minitrix can be mixed and matched without problems (although older MiniTrix stuff can be pain)

Older Arnold locos (pre 2000) are known as troublemakers when run on some switches / points, re-railer track and crossovers from Roco and Minitrix, so the best would be to avoid older rolling stock if possible. Actually, try to avoid pizza-cutter wheels or change them for those with correct NEM profile or even RP-25.

Some Fleischmann (ballasted) points are also known for problematic frog, so check all your rolling stock before final decision on track system.

Excellent overview of different rail systems, rail profiles and their heights can be found here: http://www.spur-n.com/nschienen.html

Hope this helps a bit,
happy N-gauging ;)

Nicholas
Can a man ever have enough trains, after all one wife is the maximum we can cope with, we need to collect something!

Offline Crackerbill

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:57:23 am »
I have been using fleischmann track for some years and therefore am quite conversant with the system.  I was however surprised to note that since Roco bought out Fleischmann that there were two very different tracks under the Fleischmann label.  I wondered if it was in fact a cheaper version of the original Fleischmann, or if it was as I suspected just the old rather poor Roco stuff "rebadged".  Gaugemaster (The Signal Box) were not very helpful on my query.

I think the comments given tend to confirm my impressions that the 22*** series is in fact the old Roco stock.  My real concern is that Roco will discontinue the decent Flaischmann trackage for a rather 2nd class Roco system.  This is not to say that the Fleischmann is without any concerns, as dead frogs are really dead!!

Is there a good complete N gauge track syatem?  All have their hangups and problem ares - Everyone in our hobby has to make compremises and N gauge track is a definite area of concern.

Cheers
Bill

Offline NClight

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:56 am »
Hi Bill,
As I said before, both Fleischmann and Roco were bought by Modelleisenbahn group (Roco was first) and they are equal patners sharing production lines.
Both N gauge track systems will coexist in the next few years (as per official announcement from Modelleisenbahn GmbH) within Fleischmann range. Don't worry, they will produce both systems, as far as there is interest.

For those interested in topic:
Roco N gauge track have one specific not found in any of continental ranges - 10° points, often marketed as "fine scale" or "Modellgleis".
Fleischmann specific is rack/cog-railway system in the both N and H0 gauge with supporting motive power.

If you are looking for a more complete track system (with more elements), have a look at Tomix and Kato, and of course Peco C55 which is IMHO the best value for money and best track system overall (with Shinohara second and Tomix third)

Other option would be hand-laying the track to get exactly what you want.

Cheers!
Nicholas.

Offline Crackerbill

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 03:20:54 pm »
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated - far more information than Gaugemaster/The Signal Box were prepared to give.

Cheers
Bill

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »
One reason why I never adopted Fleischmann ready ballasted track is that the ready ballasted bit does not extend far enough beyond the sleeper end so it makes blending in quite difficult. That's why I've now gone over to KATO unitrack. Although the ballast shoulder is too high on unitrack (except perhaps for really modern rebuilt/high speed lines) I deem it easier to build up around Kato if necessary.
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline NClight

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:06:01 pm »
Gordon,
yes, that is a known issue with Fleischmann ballasted track, but there is also a remedy in a form of separate ballast that is matched to that ready-made one. Fleischmann sell it as product cat.no. 9479: Schotter-Streumaterial. It is actually from the other well known company just repacked and rebranded.

Offline gentfam

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 02:03:58 pm »
Hi. Just read all this with interest. I have generally used Peco flexible track and points, code 80. Though less realistic of course, I started my layout building in 1978, when there was less choice and some of my old locos, especially a Minitrix 221 class bounce along the sleeper chairs on code 55. I used Fleischmann points in covered sections as their radii are smaller (with Fl fishplates as explained earlier). All this was fine until I recently bought 2 new items of Dutch stock from Piko. They have low "skirts" and get caught on the point motors of the curved small radius points. This is a pain! Now I want to make an extension to the layout, modelling the Dutch part and want to ensure that the Dutch stock run well there. Of course the best option is to use wider radius points, but in fiddle yards there isn't always room. Any thoughts?
Greetings
Brian

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »
I've been ordering Fleischmann track from the well known supplier in Arundel, and to say they are not up to speed on it is putting it lightly, it took me three goes to get the right track, then on ordering the flexi straights I was told there was a 4-5 week delay due to production, on contacting Fleischmann they told me there was over 1000mtrs of it in stock !, but as GM have the UK distributorship I couldn't have a trade account !

So much for free trade and being in the EU.
Test Valley Models
info@testvalleymodels.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 03:08:40 pm »
I've been ordering Fleischmann track from the well known supplier in Arundel... flexi straights I was told there was a 4-5 week delay due to production

Really?

GM's web site shows 9106 in stock, mind you they want £11.50  each. 

In contrast, Hobby Shop in Faversham's web site shows £7.50  (down to £6.75 for 20+), though there's no actual "in stock" indicator so I'd ring first.   Good shop, I've been a customer since the 90s.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.com
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:24:48 pm »
I've been ordering Fleischmann track from the well known supplier in Arundel... flexi straights I was told there was a 4-5 week delay due to production

Really?

GM's web site shows 9106 in stock, mind you they want £11.50  each. 

In contrast, Hobby Shop in Faversham's web site shows £7.50  (down to £6.75 for 20+), though there's no actual "in stock" indicator so I'd ring first.   Good shop, I've been a customer since the 90s.

Yes it showed me that figure when I ordered them !
Test Valley Models
info@testvalleymodels.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything