!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Pantyffynnon- grot central  (Read 626 times)

Offline Entwistlecymru

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27365
    • Awards
Pantyffynnon- grot central
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:43:11 am »
I thought I'd start my own thread after weeks of lurking and admiring other people's work! I've just started to build a layout of my local station, Pantyffynnon. It was once a busy junction taking coal from the Amman valley off to various places in South Wales, and passengers from Swansea up North via Mid Wales and Shrewsbury.

A lot of pictures online show a picturesque Victorian station with two platforms, two signal boxes, ornate footbridge  and lots going on. As a kid in the 80s I remember a grotty, boarded up building with half dismantled goods yards, knackered looking locos and bashed up wagons squealing around. That's what I want to capture!

The first phase has just been finished - a shed to put it in. 4.5m by 3m, timber clad with a curved felt (soon to be corrugated tin) roof - it bears a passing resemblance to a cut down box van  :)

The Second phase has been the baseboards. They're all built from 4x2 and topped with 9mm ply. The main Pantyffynnon site is built on an 8x4 sheet which is connected to an 8x2 board to show some of the Amman valley.

Pantyffynnon station consists of a single track main line with 5 lane yard to the east, signal box to the south and another small yard with washery, coaling stage and spoil tips to the West. The smaller board will show a double track line from Pantyffynnon to Ammanford station then a single track line up to Gwaun cae  Gurwen yard via the GCG viaduct.

The Heart of Wales  section travels North from Pantyffynnon, turns 180 degrees and wraps around two walls of the shed and climbs at a steady, shallow gradient , ending at Llanwrtyd Wells with a small station, shed and passing loop.

Rolling stock wise I have of course got the obligatory class 37s in a mixture or BR blue and RF liveries, Class 08s in blue, RF grey and Powell Duffryn blue/white, class 108 DMU, a class 03 in blue and an NGS Hunslet in NCB olive. All locos will run DCC, most with sound. I've ordered the first batch of rolling stock, eventually being a mixture of HAA, HEA and 16t mineral wagons. Sounds boring but they'll all be in different shades of rust and I may even try my hand at airbrushed graffiti  ;)

Track is all Peco code 55 controlled by a Bachman Dynamis Ultima - eventually laptop controlled. All pointwork and signalling will be servo controlled via DCC - I'm open to suggestions on exactly what to go for!

I'll get some pics of progress so far this week but in summary, in this thread you can expect to find plenty of battered rolling stock, lots of rust, grot, dust and detritus. Updates soon..........

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Pantyffynnon- grot central
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:50:49 am »
Sounds great!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 06:32:53 am »
Although in a totally different setting, the project sounds a bit like my Train Shed project, starting with the shed, installing the baseboards and laying the track, etc.  I look forward to some pictures.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:40 am »
Looking forward to seeing progress.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 07:49:38 am »
Sounds grottily lovely!

Like the others looking forward to the build and pics.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Rowlie

• N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:58:07 am »
Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing this one develop

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+55)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:54:47 am »
Disgusting! Filthy!
Sounds wonderful. Here's a pic of some Peco mineral wagons a fellow member weathered for me and I imagine you would be doing something similar.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:26:29 pm »
Sounds an interesting project, looking forward to seeing the pictures.  Do you have a plan of the layout we could see as well?
John

Offline Entwistlecymru

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies gents. I have plans and pics galore if only my PC hadn't died just after I backed up everything to it!

Nobby, that's exactly how I want them  :D

I'm still playing with a definite plan for the main sidings as the size of the layout ballooned from my initial plans but I've laid the cork, sorted the initial gradients with woodland scenics inclines and started gluing the track south of Pantyffynnon  :thumbsup:

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 10:00:52 pm »
nice plan and looking forward to seeing this!

tim

Offline Entwistlecymru

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 12:37:51 am »
So here's the finalised (for the 7th time!) plan

I wanted to include some loops to try and keep my 3 boys (aged 2,4 and 6) interested while I muck about in the yards, shunting rusty trucks around  :D

The green section is the Heart of Wales line built on a 100mm wide shelf and passing over the Cynghordy viaduct and through the Sugar Loaf tunnel before terminating at Llanwrtyd Wells. The section will let me play with automation, with my DMU shuttling between Llanwrtyd and Panyffynnon.

Pantyffynnon at about the right time showing small logo, large logo and Railfreight liveries:
http://www.philt.org.uk/BR/BR-class-37/i-CvppfWj

The yellow section is Penybanc colliery and Wernos washery which will include a coaling stage, a couple of steel bridges over the river Loughor, coal tips in the centre and a small engine shed. The section will be home to an NCB olive NGS shunter and CL03, clanking around between washery and coaling stage at 5mph  :) I included a double slip instead of the double crossing on the real thing, mainly due to space restraints. Here's the real thing:

http://www.philt.org.uk/Industrial/Ind-DE/i-7W5cFS2/A

The Blue section is the GCG branch which climbs from the yard in Pantyffynnon over GCG viaduct, past the signal box and road crossing and into GCG yard where the Powell Duffryn CL08 will be stabled. It passes back around, descending to another bridge crossing the HOW line, through a tunnel and back around to Pantyffynnon. The GCG branch will be home to 3 CL37s hauling coal with the odd trip for a BR blue or cut-cab RF grey CL08. Here's a beautiful summers day in GCG:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/95430950@N07/36421316856/in/photolist-XuqLAU-XmkX5x-XuqMrb-XuqMfj-XiBQnm-XuqM3W-XuqNow-XiBP99-XiBPLS-XiBQMQ-XmkXxr-XuqMRj

Offline belstone

• Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:17 am »
Lovely idea for a layout, I had a look at a few photos of the area and it has pretty much everything. The loco in that last photo you linked to is 08113, the subject of the old Poole Farish model which sold in huge numbers, and just about every N gauge modeller must have one lurking in a drawer somewhere. According to BR Database it was withdrawn 1984 from Cardiff but not cut up until 2007 so presumably it had a long second life as an industrial loco.

Richard

Offline Entwistlecymru

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 04:44:32 pm »
I've seen pics of 08113 in that livery up at GCG until the early nineties so it was with Powell Duffryn until then. They had/have all sorts of industrial links so it was almost certainly in use after that.

To be fair this layout will probably take years to finish as, like you say, there's an awful lot going on in the area which I'd really like to show.

Tonight I'll be modifying 30 or so points so I can start laying them and hopefully get the Penybanc loop finished this week. At least I can get my first order of Cobalt Digis done and start running the smaller locos around. My Mrs is very nonplussed by the lack of progress - she wants a go too!  :heart2:

Offline Entwistlecymru

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 12:29:07 am »
I canít believe itís been nearly 3 months since I posted last. Shockingly slow progress has been made, mainly due to the poor weather stopping me getting the train shed finished. Itís still not 100% but I have at least laid some track and stockpiled LOTS of goodies so I can plough on when circumstances allow.

Hopefully the corrugated roof cladding will arrive before Christmas and finally the shed will be properly insulated and ready to work in.

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
anything