What percentage of the market is N?

Started by silly moo, April 17, 2017, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silly moo

I've just seen the figure of 10% mentioned but I always thought N gauge was about 20% of the model railway market.

Has anyone got figures from the manufacturers that differ?

:NGaugersRule:

Snowwolflair

Bob G

Who is going to own up to that sort of market intel?

Personally I would say, on the basis of commitment to the market from the major players, 10% is closer to truth than 20%, at least for British N scale. Will be different for European/US/Japanese markets.

Bob

Roy L S

My understanding was that British N was about 1/5 the size of 00 market but that was a while back. Bachmann announced as many new locos in N as 00 this year, and there are products coming from others too (e.g. DJM Clayton plus RevolutioN's products and NGS commissions) so there is clearly growth in N, in fact if I recall correctly Bachmann recently said as much, but I doubt it will at all easy to establish the true ratio with any accuracy.

Roy

Webbo

Last year MRH magazine did a survey that included a question about scale preferences. HO came out at 72% and N at 17% so HO is 4-5 times more popular than N. This is a US based magazine so this result would mostly reflect the American situation. The third most popular scale was O with about 7% of the total.

Webbo

Snowwolflair

My guess is that there are more rolling stock sales in N as there is more scope for bigger trains.

that is why I was asking if it was by sales or unit numbers.

JasonBz

Quote from: Snowwolflair on April 18, 2017, 01:11:02 AM
My guess is that there are more rolling stock sales in N as there is more scope for bigger trains.

that is why I was asking if it was by sales or unit numbers.

I would tend to agree with this.
The "N Gauge Market" is about 20% of the whole market, but the number of "NGaugers" is slightly lower, maybe 15% or a touch less.

It would be natural to buy more units of stuff in the smaller scale.......

njee20

Exactly what I was going to say. I imagine the average n gauge layout has significantly more items of rolling stock than your average OO gauge layout, double wouldn't surprise me, given the tendency towards small shunting layouts in OO versus more 'tail chaser' layouts in N.

Portpatrick

Quote from: njee20 on April 18, 2017, 07:17:15 AM
Exactly what I was going to say. I imagine the average n gauge layout has significantly more items of rolling stock than your average OO gauge layout, double wouldn't surprise me, given the tendency towards small shunting layouts in OO versus more 'tail chaser' layouts in N.

When I look at my stock register I sense these sentiments are true!!  Far far more stock than needed at any one time either on steam/green diesel Portpatrick Town or the emerging post privatisation Allanbrae (which is nearly ready for a launch on the show circuit).

njee20

Shouldn't have started working that out. Scary numbers.  :o

Newportnobby

I'm having daymares now about the cost of a house which could accommodate a layout in 00 which could take trains the length I run in N :worried:

Bealman

Better not look at Pete Waterman's O gauge Leamington Spa, then!  ;D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Big bad John

Bealman

Yeah.... always been a bit disappointed with Rod going USA, but he's spent a long time there.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

broadsword

Unless the traders give detailed figures of sales by gauge it
will be difficult to give an answer. Would it not be easier
to look at  layouts at shows and see the proportions
of O, OO and N, of course excluding those which only
have a particular gauge.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77