Modelling Irish GNR(i) in N-Gauge

Started by IrishRail, April 12, 2017, 02:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishRail

I have previously built in 00 gauge but was never happy with the problems that I encountered due to lack of space. I am in the process of planning a new layout I'm I am really concerned about scale.

I am 57yrs old and depend on glasses.

I am determined to continue modelling but as my planned layout will be quite large in 00 I have joined the forum to see if there are any other similar aged men/women modelling who can guide me on size etc. Remembering that I will be modelling Irish, I will also have to scratch build everything. Not having handled N-gauge stock, will it prove impossible.

I'd appreciate some expert help and guidance.

Newportnobby

Hello IrishRail, and welcome to the forum :wave:

There are several of us on the forum who are, shall we say, optically challenged, but with the use of lamps with magnifiers and 'helping hand' tools we manage to get through.
Of course, N gauge will be more difficult then 00 gauge, especially when things ping off into the maw of the carpet monster, but I suggest the best thing to do is to purchase a cheap but fairly complex kit and see how you get on with things.

red_death

Sorry NPN but can we put this myth to bed - the size of the smallest parts is the same in all scales (as it is dictated by production), it just means that in larger scales you can add more detail!

Cheers, Mike

austinbob

Quote from: red_death on April 12, 2017, 02:52:25 PM
Sorry NPN but can we put this myth to bed - the size of the smallest parts is the same in all scales (as it is dictated by production), it just means that in larger scales you can add more detail!

Cheers, Mike
That's right - I remember having to use an illuminated magnifier and quite delicate tools to put the smallest details on an O gauge Midland compound.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Quote from: austinbob on April 12, 2017, 03:02:11 PM
Quote from: red_death on April 12, 2017, 02:52:25 PM

Cheers, Mike
That's right - I remember having to use an illuminated magnifier and quite delicate tools to put the smallest details on an O gauge Midland compound.

Then imagine what size it would be in N.
Sorry, but I'm not sure Mike's reasoning stacks up as the smallest part in 00 would be half that size in N. Maybe I just can't see it :laugh:

austinbob

I'm not explaining myself too well. My wife, who is a language teacher, is always saying I have that problem!!
When I was modelling O and EM gauge kits there would be very small parts to attach. In N gauge these are often not separate parts but represented by moulding or casting details.
The bigger the gauge of the kit, the more individual detail parts you can have but the actual physical size of the smallest part you can have is about the same in ay gauge.
Does that make any sense NN?
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Davy Taylor

Sorry to pick you out but I'm trying to find out how to ask a question on N gauge forum & it seems I can't do it unless I know someone's name or moniker--I am slowly but surely going round the twist. Help me please!!!!! I only joined 2 days ago. How do I break the spell?

I want some info on N gauge Lima motors as I bought one the other day on Ebay & it is so much smaller than what I was expecting I'm at a total loss!
Cheers
Davy Taylor

austinbob

Quote from: Davy Taylor on April 12, 2017, 07:43:59 PM
Sorry to pick you out but I'm trying to find out how to ask a question on N gauge forum & it seems I can't do it unless I know someone's name or moniker--I am slowly but surely going round the twist. Help me please!!!!! I only joined 2 days ago. How do I break the spell?

I want some info on N gauge Lima motors as I bought one the other day on Ebay & it is so much smaller than what I was expecting I'm at a total loss!
Cheers
Davy Taylor
I'm sure someone will help you. In general if you want to ask a question then just ask away. Best to check the list of sub forums to post in the best one.

Bob Austin

Davy Taylor

Thanks for the prompt reply Bob--if I can just bend your ear a little further by saying this--It seems to be impossible, in fact is impossible to send an original general question to anyone out there who might be willing to answer it.  First of all I find that I cannot title the question by using the letter N since the system does not recognise single letters but I see that since you use N-gauge then that must be the way to go.  Also it is not possible to send a question unless you have a users name to which to send.  I don't know any user names so that's why I'm kind of stuffed. It's all a bit Catch-22! I'm Irish, I know we joke about it but this really is 'Irish'.
Thanks
David

austinbob

Quote from: Davy Taylor on April 13, 2017, 10:05:45 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Bob--if I can just bend your ear a little further by saying this--It seems to be impossible, in fact is impossible to send an original general question to anyone out there who might be willing to answer it.  First of all I find that I cannot title the question by using the letter N since the system does not recognise single letters but I see that since you use N-gauge then that must be the way to go.  Also it is not possible to send a question unless you have a users name to which to send.  I don't know any user names so that's why I'm kind of stuffed. It's all a bit Catch-22! I'm Irish, I know we joke about it but this really is 'Irish'.
Thanks
David
OK Davy try this in exchange for a couple of pints of Guiness!!

Click on FORUM at the top of the Menu selections (next to HOME)
Choose the board or sub-board, from the list that's available, which most closely matches your question
Click on NEW TOPIC from the menu selection at the top of the page
Type in your subject heading - you can type single letters like 'N' if you want.
Type in your message in the message box
You can preview your message by clicking on the PREVIEW button under your message box.
When you're happy all is ok click on POST under the message box and VOILA... the whole of the forum will be able to see your message.
Happy posting
:) :beers:

Bob Austin

Davy Taylor

Thanks Bob, I'll give that a go.
Davy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations