Late BR crest

Started by Shiney Sheff, April 11, 2017, 09:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiney Sheff

I am trying to back date a few of my BR steam loco's and wondering if anyone knows what year the early crest's were introduced and what year they were superseded by the BR late crest's

Thanks in advance Bob

PLD

The early crest was first applied from mid 1948 and while larger passenger locos were soon repainted in BR liveries, it was well into the 50s before all locos carried it. The late crest was introduced in 1956, but  some locos never carried it and went to the scrap yard in the early-mid 60s still with the earlier crest in place.

violets49

The 'early 'crest' was a 'totem' the late crest was part of the BTC coat of arms (A true abomination if ever there was one) and therefore a Heraldic device. BR had arranged the original totem for the lion to face forward irrespective of which side the totem appeared. When they did the same with the late crest they were pulled up by the college of Heralds (The administrators of English and Welsh heraldry) as you cannot reverse a heraldic device. So thereafter the lion had to face left on both sides.
The lion over wheel totem was approved with the new liveries Specifications issued in 1949. The Demi lion rampant device was introduced in 1956. Early repaints had 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' in full on tanks and tenders. The emblem as applied to coaches was approved at the same time.

austinbob

Quote from: violets49 on April 11, 2017, 11:16:08 PMBR had arranged the original totem for the lion to face forward irrespective of which side the totem appeared. When they did the same with the late crest they were pulled up by the college of Heralds (The administrators of English and Welsh heraldry) as you cannot reverse a heraldic device. So thereafter the lion had to face left on both sides.
Well I never knew that?? I'm gonna have to check all my crested locos now to see if the lion faces the right way!
:thankyousign: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Shiney Sheff

Thanks PLD and Violets49, very much appreciated   :thankyousign:

violets49

Some early repaints DID have the second 'crest facing forward on both sides and some transfer manufactureres provide right facing lions but to be 100%  accurate you would need to check photos.

On a different but related subject, the BR Corporate 'TWIN ARROWS' generally had the top arrow facing right. BUT for use on Sealink ships, the Corporate Image manual specfied that the uppermost arrow should always face forward. Also, for used on road vehicles, the upper arrow faced forward for a while. I believe only on Black totems. On the later red totems the top arrow faced right.
In Scotland, the ships of the Caledonian steam Packet company retained the buff funnels but with a red lion on the funnel that always faced left as it too is a herladic device, derived from the CSPC house flag. While the conventions of heraldry was observed, the odd thing is that the use of the device by the CSPC andn the Caledonian Railway was technically illegal anyway as its derived from the coat of arms of the Kings of Scots.  :o

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations