Microsloth again

Started by Dorsetmike, March 22, 2017, 04:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamie+

Awww microsoft and those passwords Mike are Haven aren't they. Seriously Mike most providers now ask for an alternate email or other form of ID it can get frustrating when it won't accept what you are typing, especially if you have loads of login's to different websites for which almost all of us have. How do you stop scammers, it's one of those questions that is hard to answer!. They are getting more and more sophisticated in their attempts, i am now running apple and it seems ok to me, although i am sure they can get hacked too.

The email you had, like other members have stated is more then likely a scam, i agree with others that they wouldn't put that at the end of their email (Have a blessed day!) Microsoft are a bit more professional i think.

Happy Modelling Mike and i hope you get your problem solved and with the help from all the members on here i am sure you will.          :thumbsup:

PaulCheffus

Hi

At the weekend I had an issue trying to login to my laptop with a password I knew was correct. Turns out that one of the recent Microsoft updates had installed the US language pack and had changed my keyboard layout. As my password contains one of the characters that moves between a UK and US keyboard I was not typing what I thought I was.

What a stupid thing to do by Microsoft.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

emjaybee

Quote from: PaulCheffus on March 29, 2017, 09:40:44 AM
Hi

At the weekend I had an issue trying to login to my laptop with a password I knew was correct. Turns out that one of the recent Microsoft updates had installed the US language pack and had changed my keyboard layout. As my password contains one of the characters that moves between a UK and US keyboard I was not typing what I thought I was.

What a stupid thing to do by Microsoft.

Cheers

Paul

For anyone using Win 10, you can disable system updates, regardless of what most people say.

I bought a new Win10 laptop last year, I spent a lot of money to get a really quick machine (45 seconds switch on to useable including loading e-mails), the first "system" update doubled the start up time and spread the disease known as Cortana throughout the system. I backed the update out, spent two hours undoing all the changes and disabled system updates.

You can't turn off system updates through Control Panel. If you Google "disable Win10 system updates " there is a simple (tick-box easy) way to disable "system" updates. It's easy to reverse if required and causes no problems. You cant disable security updates but that's not such a bad thing with MicroShaft.

12 months later, the laptop still boots in 45 seconds and works perfectly. Oh yes, and I never use MS web browser, Firefox is more stable.

:thumbsup:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

What's with "MicroSloth"/"MicroShaft" etc? They bear little resemblance to the company name and they're not particularly witty. The actual company name is shorter!

Bealman

Each to their own, eh.

I find those names funny.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on March 29, 2017, 10:53:27 AM
What's with "MicroSloth"/"MicroShaft" etc? They bear little resemblance to the company name and they're not particularly witty. The actual company name is shorter!

Hi

How about Micro :censored: then as its the same length and conveys the same feeling.

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

Dorsetmike

Took the words out of my mouth so to speak Paul, just ways of expressing our displeasure with the company.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Sprintex

Quote from: Bealman on March 29, 2017, 11:13:33 AM
Each to their own, eh.

I find those names funny.

Precisely :thumbsup:

Paul

njee20

And yet everyone buys their products and help keep Bill Gates as the world's richest man!

There's always Linux and iOS for the haters!

emjaybee

Quote from: njee20 on March 29, 2017, 11:39:05 AM
And yet everyone buys their products and help keep Bill Gates as the world's richest man!

For the vast majority of the population, they have to buy Micro**** as there is no viable alternative. Linux and iOS is fine for the more technically minded, but a lot of add on proprietary software won't be suitable for Linux and may not be available for IOS. Hence people HAVE to turn to Micro****.

Bill Gates and his company have got rich by producing a second rate product. Which then is superseded by a "new" version that "doesn't have those problems any more, this version is perfect". So people buy it believing that it will make their computer problems go awy. Only it doesn't. It just produces different problems. But, "dont worry, we've got a new platform in development that'll solve those problems ".

...and so the gravy train of Micro**** rolls on...

...and on...

...and on!

There is very little in any Micro**** operating system for the general populous that wasn't in XP.

But if they don't keep rolling out "better" (mainly unnecessary) software they go out of business.

It gets purchased as there is no real alternative.

:computerangry:

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

daffy

I moved to Apple a few years back for various reasons and they too have their problems. Sad thing is, 'Apple' is a short word and using 'App :censored:' is meaningless, so Microcrap users have a much better choice of derogatory nomenclature.
:jealous:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on March 29, 2017, 11:39:05 AM

Hi

I don't have a choice as the company I work for uses Windows all my development has to be on the Windows platform.

Cheers

Paul

Workbench thread

themadhippy

QuoteLinux and iOS is fine for the more technically minded,
Not at all,put in dvd and boot from it,answer a couple of questions,make a coffee and come back to fully functional operating system that will do what most home users want a computer to do
Quotebut a lot of add on proprietary software won't be suitable for Linux
Apart from games ,i bought an xbox for that as it was cheaper than upgrading the old computer ,theres often a linux alternative,and  most  other  software plays nicely in virtual box or under wine.
About the only decent thing micro$oft has made over the years was the   original intellimouse track ball 
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

austinbob

Many of the common programs that are used, such as Office (particularly Word and Excel and Outlook); Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop; The better known finance packages; anyrail and many others do not run on Linux. Unless you run them under Wine which is just another bit of hassle for users and defeats the object of running Linux.
Ok there are other similar products that will run in Linux but they are not Microsoft compatible products and are therefore not the programs of choice for most people.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

My laptop runs Vista  (yes, Vista! Never had an issue with it ), but Firefox informs me that of September this year, it will no longer support Vista.

Ah well, like so many other things in life, I'll worry about it when it happens.   :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations