Video downloads

Started by Dorsetmike, March 11, 2017, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Having lost a load of videos when I had the PC crash before Christmas I finally got round to downloading most of them from my Dropbox, only to find that most ofthe MP4 files lost their sound, which as the vids were of folk dancing left them a bit pointless, .MTS files downloaded and work fine, I had a few files on MS onedrive , MP4s download and play fine from there, any ideas?

The ones that don't work on Media player do work on VLC though
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Dorsetmike

Panic over, extensive googling discovered a download of codecs that sems to have worked; strange really, the original files uploaded to Dropbox all worked fine after I converted them to MP4s; some quirk of Dropbox seemingly as the MP4s uploaded to onedrive downloaded and played OK
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

ntpntpntp

Cloud storage such as Dropbox and Onedrive don't change the file content, nobody would use or trust them if they did. 

Sounds like you converted them using a codec which you then lost and had to re-install when you had to recover the crashed PC.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

mickster04

I personally recommend the use of VLC to play videos, it is usually quite reliable in playing a massive variety of file formats.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

austinbob

Quote from: mickster04 on March 12, 2017, 03:08:46 AM
I personally recommend the use of VLC to play videos, it is usually quite reliable in playing a massive variety of file formats.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
I second that - I started to use VLC as soon as the Windows 10 video player crashed in the first few weeks of its introduction. Great program.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Dorsetmike

Quote from: ntpntpntp on March 11, 2017, 07:00:00 PM
Cloud storage such as Dropbox and Onedrive don't change the file content, nobody would use or trust them if they did. 

Sounds like you converted them using a codec which you then lost and had to re-install when you had to recover the crashed PC.

So could you explain how the same file uploaded to both Dropbox and Onedrive on the same day, both play fine on line but when I downloaded them the one from Onedrive had sound, the one from Dropbox had no sound. The same result on 2 PCs and a laptop, all using the same copy of Win7 pro 64  which was used on the PC which crashed.

No problems playing in VLC and now no problems in Win media player since downloading and installing K-lite Codec pack
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

ntpntpntp

Probably using different applications to play them?   When you played them online I presume it used whatever plugin was installed in your browser, but when you downloaded you then played them with a locally installed application - VLC or Media Player -  and clearly the latter was missing a codec which you had to download.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Malc

Without wishing to hijack the thread, sometimes VLC takes an age to load. I.e. Upto 30 seconds before it opens. Any ideas?
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Can't say I've noticed a problem Malc. Does it take time for the program itself to load or does it take time to load a video once the program is open?
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations