Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Problems

Started by Bealman, January 11, 2017, 02:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Anyone out there in forumland got a Galaxy Tab 3? I've had one for a few years and it's been great.

However, as of January 2nd this year, it has mysteriously stopped connecting to my WiFi, (my wife's has too). I have turned off the WiFi on the device, turned it on again, but it only comes up with "Saved, Secured" and doesn't connect.

I've tried hitting "Forget" and typing in the password again, but still no joy.

My daughter told me to turn the router (a Belkin N300) off and then on again, but I'm reluctant to do that as our laptops and phones are fine, and I'm worried that I'd lose connection with all of them.

One thing I have noticed is that the Tab 3 is coming up with "Security: WPA/WPA2 PSK" whereas the paperwork with the Belkin router says the security is WPA/WPA2, without the PSK bit on the end.

Just wondering if that has anything to do with it. Seems strange that both tablets suddenly stopped connecting on the 2nd of January while all the other devices are fine.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks, George.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mickster04

PSK just stands for Pre-Shared Key (if i remember correctly)
That just means everyone connecting to it should know the password before hand which can be entered when connecting

restarting all the devices (router included) isn't a bad way to go. your other devices will reconnect because they store a copy of the password.
and if they don't then your router is kaput, but like you said, other devices are connected so it is unlikely to be that.

Webbo

George

I'm turning our router on and off all the time to fix connection problems by resetting it. Reconnection with all devices happens automatically as mickster04 suggests.

When in trouble, turn the device off and on again would be my recommended start. My guess it won't fix your phone problem, but you never know. Have the phones had their software updated about when the problem started? Second attempt to fix things would be to consult Dr Google.

Good luck with it
Webbo 

Bealman

Thanks, Ian. I'm out and about at moment (actually sitting in a carpark with the engine running and air-con full blast) but I'll try switching the router off and on when I get home.

It's only the tablets having the problems the phone and laptops connect automatically.

Webbo

We have 36 at the moment and I'm reluctant to go outside though the dog is pestering me. She's a kelpie so is not unduly fazed by all of this..

Just another breezy thought - try turning the power off to the tablet and then powering up again will give you a reboot. May as well try out the easy stuff first.

Ian

Waz

Another cause could be the system time on the tablet is wrong, as quite often once connected the router will look at the system tie of the device and if it is not correct it will think it's an unauthorised device or the infomation is being intercepted so will not allow access to the internet

Bealman

Waz

The time the tablet is set to, so make sure it's showing the right time.

Bealman

Oh, I see. Yeah, current time is OK. The weather display shows 2.18pm Jan 2, which I'm guessing is when comm was lost.  :-\

Webbo

Can you hook-up to other Wifi systems around the place? I know that you have a wonderful McDonalds near you that you're always saying nice things about and they will have free Wifi that you can check out.

Graham

you may also be able to set your phone up as a hot spot, then connect to it and use the data from your phone.

I have to do this to download my Model Rail subscription every month. for some reason Bigpond does not like it coming through the broadband at home.

cheers
Graham

Bealman

Ian:

Better than that.... the local bowling club where I enjoy a beer on an afternoon (especially a hot afternoon like this... I'm there now - Canberra must be sweltering!) has free Wi-Fi.

Problem is I don't have a handbag to put it in  :D

However, what you suggest us an excellent troubleshooting idea, and I'll bring it with me tomorrow.  :thumbsup: :beers:

Bealman

Quote from: Graham on January 11, 2017, 06:18:54 AM
you may also be able to set your phone up as a hot spot, then connect to it and use the data from your phone.

I have to do this to download my Model Rail subscription every month. for some reason Bigpond does not like it coming through the broadband at home.

cheers
Graham
Thanks for that, Graham! I guess that means though that I'd have to keep my Vodafone data connection active at home. It's a prepaid account so I go through the Wi-Fi when at home.

I'll try Webbo's idea first before I reset the router, methinks.

Interesting that you have to download the Mag to the phone  :hmmm:

Webbo

George, :beers: from me too. Just finished replacing bodily fluids down at the local watering hole as well. Do you go to the bowling club dressed as a woman?

Bealman

:laughabovepost:

No. I'll slip the Samsung in Mrs Bealman's handbag tomorrow.

;D

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations