Bernard Cornwell - The Saxon Tales/The Last Kingdom

Started by scottmitchell74, September 19, 2017, 08:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

Going through my Bernard Cornwell binge again.

Currently reading: Sword Song

This is the fourth in his The Saxon Tales books, which follows a fictitious fellow named Uhtred who is sort of a 9th/10th Century sword wielding Forrest Gump who happens to be involved in all of the real-life doings of late 9th/early 10th Century England, most notably the reign of Alfred the Great.

It's incredibly well done. It's basically REAL Games of Thrones. It's amazing what people lived through in those times. Constant war, death, disease, fear, etc...

If anyone is watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix, this series of books serve as the source material for that series, which is also really well done and does a pretty good job of following the books.

On a side-note: Reading these books and watching this series makes me want to return to the UK so, so bad. My wife and I visited in '09 and loved it, but of course we had 12 days to see as much as possible, and it's hard to dig in deep when it comes to a land so rich in history. I think my 50th Birthday/Retirement trip may very well be a Month Long trip to the UK so I can hit all of the deeper, more interesting (to me) places. And of course, maybe look up some NGauge forum buds.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

bridgiesimon

I totally agree, The Last Kingdom is superb!

Best wishes
Simon

simong

Yes very well written books which provide a good historical understanding of how to England came into being at the same time as being great novels.

mattycoops43

Yes, I am a huge Cornwell fan. One of my favourite series of books.

Sadly I gave up on the tv series, it just truncated the books too much and missed out too much, but then that is normally the case with adaptions.

Oh yes, and he is Blond too! Not a brunette!

scottmitchell74

My favorite character is Father Beocca, both in the books and the show.

I like how he's a pious man of God, but isn't afraid to get in Uhtred's face, and his growth as a man/priest/warrior is fun.

The actor also does a fantastic job with Beocca.

The actor who portrays Alfred is also just amazing. Nails it.

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

stevewalker

Yes, I have enjoyed re-reading them recently. I've liked all his other books too (Sharpe, Grail Quest and the nautically themed thrillers), except for the Starbuck series - for some reason I just can't seem to get into them.

Newportnobby

I have really enjoyed the TV series and wish, as with Game of Thrones, I had read the books before seeing the adaptation. I much prefer the written word and tend to find someone's interpretation of what I have pictured in my mind is radically different so the film/TV series is less enjoyable. In the case of The Last Kingdom this is not the case, however.
I am still waiting for a spoof version with the immortal line "I am Putrid - son of Putrid" ;D

scottmitchell74

Quote from: newportnobby on September 19, 2017, 10:56:08 PM
I have really enjoyed the TV series and wish, as with Game of Thrones, I had read the books before seeing the adaptation. I much prefer the written word and tend to find someone's interpretation of what I have pictured in my mind is radically different so the film/TV series is less enjoyable. In the case of The Last Kingdom this is not the case, however.
I am still waiting for a spoof version with the immortal line "I am Putrid - son of Putrid" ;D

Well, there is a spoof of sorts on Netflix called "Norsemen" ( I think). I looked serious in its write-up, and is beautifully shot, but it's a comedy. Right now I'm in a more realistic mood, so I couldn't get into it.

martyn

I did enjoy the television series, and I received the first five books for father's day (made a change from more rolling stock!), and have enjoyed them so much I've read them all and have now got the second five to read as following on.
Excellent reading.

I have even given them priority over another book I ordered last week, Bill Harvey's 'Sixty years in  steam', the autobiography of, amongst other things, the shedmaster at Norwich in charge of their 'Britannias', and who was responsible for ensuring B12 61572 avoided withdrawal and was saved for preservation.

Martyn

mattycoops43

Some things don't work that way round, but if you enjoyed the tv series and want to go a bit more in depth to it, then I think you would enjoy the books. Main plot points are similar but there is so much more background and detail to the plots, the characters are much better developed and there are some interesting side stories that come in.

Matt

RMurphy195

Recently re-read books 1 - 5 before reading Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord and The Empty Throne.

Had to re-read 1 - 5 first to remind myself of the characters (and some objects) that were different in, or simply missing from, the TV series (Steapa, Osferth, Hilds Gift, the swords and their maker, and lots of other rich detail). Although the actor playing Alfred is excellent and the guys playing the Danes look as if they really are enjoying themselves!.

The later volumes just got better and better, can't wait to find Warriors of the Storm and Flame Bearer in the s/h book shops!.

BTW the Warlord Chronicles (Athurian legend retold) are an absolute hoot!

martyn

I (or rather my wife) bought the second five from Amazon, for various prices, but I think the most expensive was £2.

Martyn

twinklekev

I've have all 10 in hardback. Absolutely brilliant books. Once I get started I just can't seem to put them down. So much better than Game of Thrones (which are pretty good mind) but the locations are real and you can relate to them.

railsquid

I dutifully plodded through the first volume of Game of Thrones to see what all the fuss was about, and gave it away with no particular desire to read more. Felt like the fantasy equivalent of a mildly tasty but stodgy meal at an immemorable restaurant which passes the time and fills you up but you wouldn't make a detour to visit again.

This sounds like it might be worth a try though.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations