!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Barkby Thorpe on a (small) Door  (Read 155 times)

Offline suNNyG

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Barkby Thorpe on a (small) Door
« on: June 19, 2017, 02:27:10 pm »
Time to display my efforts in front of a wider audience? Perhaps I should have posted my plan for comment but too late now!   
Iíve read a lot of posts and replies by other members and, hopefully, learned a lot from them. 
The layout will be a double track oval, BR Midland Region steam, on an1800 x 800 board. The board is 8mm ply construction. A simple station on a curve, a lay-by on the outer circuit and a basic goods yard on the inner. A total of six hidden storage loops, three to each circuit. The outer circuit is complete and hopefully Iíll attach a couple of photos to show this.  I ďchickened outĒ of laying a gentle continuous curve in the scenic section as Iím trying to limit the minimum curve to ďsecond radiusĒ in the hidden area and Iím not too confident about my track laying ability.  Iíve used Setrack curved points for the storage loops and will do the same on the inner circuit.  Visible points are Electrofrog medium radius and Iíve soldered a wire to the frogs in case I need it!  All track is code 80 flex as I obtained far more than I need at a good price from someone moving to 00. I read the arguments for and against cork underlay and decided to lay direct onto the board using Copydex.  Test running, forward and reverse, with a GF (Poole) pacific and fifteen wagons and so far all is well.
Graham J

Offline Greenbridge.

• Awards
Re: Barkby Thorpe on a (small) Door
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 03:09:39 pm »
Nice start. What are you going to do with the baked beans can ?  :confused2:

And now, it's up to you. Please don't be too cruel...

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:23:06 pm »
Good to see progress proceeding and that things are working as they should.
Gone one better myself. Haven't tried them yet, though...................... ;)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:24:43 pm »
Nice start. What are you going to do with the baked beans can ?  :confused2:

As the track is being glued down with Copydex I assume the beans are just to add weight in the drying process.

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »
Better solution - empty the can, fill it with water to weigh the track down and have the beans on toast while waiting for the glue to dry...
 :ngauge: :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline suNNyG

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 03:52:34 pm »
Doesn't take long for the glue to dry here Bob. I've tried the beans and spicy Spanish chorizo but not out of the same can.
Next job is to install some SEEPs but no hurry so that will be manana or maybe the day after

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »
Sounds like you're making good progress, good luck with the SEEPS. Not a job I'm looking forward to on my layout.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £87.00
Above Goal: £32.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything