Do you still use ... ... ...

Started by Dorsetmike, June 02, 2017, 02:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

.....also no more comments like "Look, there's somewhere to park my bike!"  :moony:
'Keep it country!'

'Head in the clouds, feet in the mud!'

RailGooner

Quote from: Jimbo on June 04, 2017, 06:18:50 PM
.....also no more comments like "Look, there's somewhere to park my bike!"  :moony:

:laughabovepost:

Komata

Cufflinks!! Admirable items, but as local shirt manufacturers no longer put in the little 'oles through which they are inserted (as a cost saving measure perhaps?), sadly, they no longer part of a well-dressed gentleman's atire. As a result I now have several sets gathering dust in a drawer; were that it were not so.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

joe cassidy

Do British people still eat kippers for breakfast ?

Or bloaters ?

What is/was a bloater ?

austinbob

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 04, 2017, 07:53:44 PM

Or bloaters ?

What is/was a bloater ?
Occasionally have kippers for breakfast - more common in hotels I think. Real kippers, ie those not filleted and packed in plastic bags for microwaving, are quite rare these days. The real kippers definitely taste the best but you have to be an enthusiast to avoid choking on the bones.
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Cufflinks are still extremely popular for suit shirts. I mainly wear Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (or did when I still worked somewhere I wore a suit to work!) and virtually all my shirts are double cuff. I miss wearing a suit now I wear jeans and t-shirt to work!

daveg

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 04, 2017, 07:53:44 PM

Or bloaters ?

What is/was a bloater ?

Kippers - not for me.

Bloater - a herring cured by salting and light smoking. Apparently

HTH

Dave G

Claude Dreyfus

Quote from: njee20 on June 04, 2017, 08:01:13 PM
Cufflinks are still extremely popular for suit shirts. I mainly wear Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (or did when I still worked somewhere I wore a suit to work!) and virtually all my shirts are double cuff. I miss wearing a suit now I wear jeans and t-shirt to work!

Indeed. I still wear them on a daily basis for work - double-cuff shirts, with no shirt pocket...

njee20

Damn right! No short sleeves either unless it's 30 degrees, and even then no tie must be in sight, unless you drive a bus.

dannyboy

Quote from: Jimbo on June 04, 2017, 06:18:50 PM

That cracked me up that did  ;D. As Tom U remarked - shirts with collars that were attached with studs were a right pain, (in more ways than one!). Back in 1971 when I joined the Police, we were, (if I remember correctly), issued with  2 shirts and 4 collars. Not sure what the material was, but it weren't comfy - and we had to starch our own collars.  :goggleeyes:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Ian Bowden

Quote from: joe cassidy on June 04, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Does anyone still use a pressure cooker ?
yes I use up to 3 at a time depending on what I am making.

grumbeast

Still use quite a lot of things.. this topic is about to make me rant I fear!

Teapot several times daily (in fact its time for a new one, our big brown one is getting a bit too chipped).  I've never understood the bag in mug, you only get to have one cup of tea????

Same with Coffee, always drink filter and always make a full pot, then again we are Canadian so Coffee is a staple.  Cant stand those stupid pod things or  instant.

Books and Magazines have to be paper, its a tactile thing as much as anything else.  With the move back I am having to get rid of all my paperbacks :( :( :( to save on shipping costs and I might get a kindle to replace them but I'm not at all convinced

Just because something is new doesn't automatically make it better.  Our microwave died a few months ago and we didn't want to buy a new one given the move so we haven't had one since December and we've decided not to bother getting one ever again as we haven't missed it, we've just found new (old) ways of doing thing.

Oh.. and we make our own Marmalade which has just run out so I'm feeling crabby :)

I dont wear cufflinks but do like them, ties however ,or neck rags as I like to call them are the most idiotic item of clothing ever invented.  My boss makes us all wear them (despite never seeing a customer), I've just stopped, he can go to hell, I can work and breath, or wear a tie and be miserable, his choice (this is the same guy that kept plugging in an air freshener in the office despite the fact that it caused me to have a quite extreme reaction to it.. )

Bealman

:laughabovepost:

Weird as it may seem, I like ties. Probably due to my NE upbringing. Makes me feel posh  :D

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ian Bowden

When I was working I managed to subvert the whole office from wearing ties unless meeting clients.. I do have a good selection of totally inappropriate ties to wear when ordered to - example Bugs Bunny. I also stopped wearing suits unless necessary the cost of a new one every 6 months was too high.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations