!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH  (Read 10098 times)

Offline paulprice

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: TALES OF DOOM FROM MY WORKBENCH
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Well just like the A team I have been accused of a crime I did not commit.

The Domestic Overlord rather unfairly claimed that I had been naughty but as everyone knows I an positively Angelic.  :angel:

Anyway like a good soldier of fortune, I decided to fight this terrible injustice and did some modelling, so I thought  I would spend a little time on the latest Jubilee and Royal Scot.

My aim with the Jubilee 5710 - was unusually for me to produce a rather clean example, as you will know most of my Jubilees are a little grotty. The has had headlamps and a crew added, and just needs her nameplates adding, and a little real coal in the tender.

I think maybe she is still a little clean, but when I get a chance to do some testing (playing trains) I might see how she looks at the head of a suitable rake, and then maybe the weathering brushes might com out again.

As for the spares and repair Evil bay Scott, after repairing the few mechanical faults she had, it was time to restore a little dignity to the poor Girl by getting here out of that horrible BR livery she was forced to wear.

Originally I thought I may turn her out in unlined Black, which the LMS used during the war years, to which I would have applied a lot of weathering to make her look like a typical hard working war time example. The problem was that in one of those research moments, (sitting in a chair dreaming, or virtual modelling as I like to call it) I came across a picture of a Scott lined in red, so one thing led to another.
So once I had corrected the numbering  :) up (6312 applied to one cab side rather than 6132), I fitted her crew headlamps applied for parcels duty, and a little weathering to just show a well looked after machine and there you have it.

The cab has since received its glazing, and again I'm just waiting for her plates and a little real code to be added to her tender.

So what to you think, and just remember, if you have a modelling problem, and nobody else can help, maybe one day you can contact, the A team :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:29:14 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2017, 10:32:22 am »
Well I'm back from a week in Cornwall, which to be honest was not long enough.

Anyway, I thought I would spend a little time and put the Jubes and Scots back into the storage trays, that's when I noticed I have not fitted lamps to my parallel Scot or crews to it or the Pat, so another little job to do.

The problem is I've noticed that I have a little work to do on my 4F's especially after a holiday purchase....... I need more lanps

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »
Those look fantastic! I have a lot of experience weathering 00 gauge, but not done any N yet, then the other day I was repairing a LLB 47 and thought, lets have a go and I am very pleased with the result. I have an older Farish Duchess and you have inspired me!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2017, 03:15:24 pm »
Those look fantastic! I have a lot of experience weathering 00 gauge, but not done any N yet, then the other day I was repairing a LLB 47 and thought, lets have a go and I am very pleased with the result. I have an older Farish Duchess and you have inspired me!
You will have to post a few pictures, I have a soft spot for the older Farish Duchess I have a couple I have converted into Semi's just waiting for name plates

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2017, 06:08:54 pm »
You will have to post a few pictures, I have a soft spot for the older Farish Duchess I have a couple I have converted into Semi's just waiting for name plates

My Duchess is not weathered--- yet. I'll put pics up when it's been done. I have a pizza cutter layout, but I do have to say it is a pretty impressive loco, runs very well and sits right on the track.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »

Just watch the eccentric rod crank on this one before it gives trouble!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2017, 08:01:44 pm »

Just watch the eccentric rod crank on this one before it gives trouble!

Cheers,
Alan

Dr Al

thanks for the heads up I will have a look next time I get an operating session

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:54 pm »
Well a fantastic weeks holiday in Cornwall with the Domestic Overlord, was topped off with the purchase of a Landship pack at a bargain price of 90

So this has meant I now have in the fleet 2 of the new Farish 4Fs with the brilliant Deeley tenders. So I thought all I have to do now is either give the loco a a quick repaint and weathering, or just a lot off weathering to disguise its Midland origins and make it look like a loco yet to receive the glorious LMS branding (its worked on the other one).

That's when as usual, I turned a simple task into a less simple one, all I intended to do was fit a crew and lamps to my previous "Landship" 4F, that's when I decided to check my existing loco's to make sure they were crewed up.
That's when I hit a problem, not only have I run out of pre-painted crew (I need to paint a few more) but I have also ran out of oil lamps. I tried to source some in Cornwall but failed :(
I also think some of the fleet may be a little clean so I may get the weathering tools out when I next have some modelling time

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:15:36 pm by paulprice »

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2017, 06:37:39 am »
Crimson 4F's ???

Offline PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2017, 07:43:36 am »
Crimson 4F's ???
NO NO NO NO NO... ... ... ...  :thumbsdown:
Lima did some (well they were dark pink...  :o ) but it was entirely fictional and looked very wrong... Almost as bad as painting it Brunswick Green...

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2017, 07:49:23 am »
Crimson 4F's ???
NO NO NO NO NO... ... ... ...  :thumbsdown:
Lima did some (well they were dark pink...  :o ) but it was entirely fictional and looked very wrong... Almost as bad as painting it Brunswick Green...

Don't worry, it wont be in any other colour than BLACK, I blame the heat.....it was the heat that mage me do it.

I've even been thinking GWR....................................................................

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2017, 10:11:58 am »
I've even been thinking GWR....................................................................

Wash your mouth out boy! (or your keyboard)
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2017, 10:48:20 am »

Wash your mouth out boy! (or your keyboard)

Well I had this idea, which means I could use some of my GWR stock for, I mean if you have them you need to use them?

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2017, 12:16:47 pm »
No No No! You sell them and get something you really need, alternatively hack them into something that you need, if all else fails give 'em away! There are limits to rule 1.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:17:49 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:15 pm »
No No No! You sell them and get something you really need, alternatively hack them into something that you need, if all else fails give 'em away! There are limits to rule 1.

But I kind of like them...........Oh no there is no hope for me

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £90.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
164% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything