DJM Announcement - Crowdfunding King Class

Started by guest2, March 13, 2017, 03:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karhedron

Quote from: Carmont on June 07, 2017, 09:12:59 AM
Interesting (and dismaying) that this sentiment comes up again. "I hope it gets made, but it's too risky for me to back" is effectively what people are saying, but what they really mean is"I hope others bear the risk for me to benefit."

Some people do not like risk. This is sad but completely understandable. Having said that, Dave has brought several products to market already (00 gauge under his own DJM brand and plenty of N Gauge stuff at Dapol) so he definitely a known quantity and not much of a risk IMHO.

The real shame from my point of view is that if everyone takes the same approach, the project will not go ahead. This is why the Crowdfunded models are being offered more cheaply than any subsequent production runs.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Carmont

Quote from: Karhedron on June 07, 2017, 10:06:30 AM
Interesting (and dismaying) that this sentiment comes up again. "I hope it gets made, but it's too risky for me to back" is effectively what people are saying, but what they really mean is"I hope others bear the risk for me to benefit."

Some people do not like risk. This is sad but completely understandable. Having said that, Dave has brought several products to market already (00 gauge under his own DJM brand and plenty of N Gauge stuff at Dapol) so he definitely a known quantity and not much of a risk IMHO.

The real shame from my point of view is that if everyone takes the same approach, the project will not go ahead. This is why the Crowdfunded models are being offered more cheaply than any subsequent production runs.

Karhedron, I fully appreciate that many are risk averse, and that's fine. But to be risk averse and in the same breath, 'hope' that others take that risk on their behalf so that they might benefit................

NinOz

Quote from: Chris Morris on June 07, 2017, 06:29:48 AM
DJM have got other potential N gauge locos they would like to develop such as the  GWR mogul ...
A mogul.  I would sign up for one of those also.
Do you think he would stretch to a Garratt? :)

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Karhedron

Quote from: NinOz on June 07, 2017, 10:14:07 AM
Quote from: Chris Morris on June 07, 2017, 06:29:48 AM
DJM have got other potential N gauge locos they would like to develop such as the  GWR mogul ...
A mogul.  I would sign up for one of those also.
As I understand it, the Mogul is part of Dave's own development line and not a crowd funder. This means it will be developed using the profits from Dave's initial models such as the J94 and Clayton.

As such, I don't think that the King failing would necessarily prevent the Mogul from appearing. Having said that, if the King goes ahead, it will be a definite vote of confidence in the GWR. :)
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

NinOz

Quote from: Carmont on June 07, 2017, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: Karhedron on June 07, 2017, 10:06:30 AM

Karhedron, I fully appreciate that many are risk averse, and that's fine. But to be risk averse and in the same breath, 'hope' that others take that risk on their behalf so that they might benefit................
I may have the funding model wrong but I assumed that unless someone orders some models for resell wouldn't those who didn't commit not be able to buy one otherwise?

| Carpe Jugulum |

longbow

Those joining the initial crowdfunding are promised unique liveries and a lower price but not total exclusivity. DJM have opened up the Class 92 project to major retailers, which helps get it over the line but does carry the risk of undercutting the crowdfunding process.

Karhedron

Quote from: NinOz on June 07, 2017, 10:19:57 AM
I may have the funding model wrong but I assumed that unless someone orders some models for resell wouldn't those who didn't commit not be able to buy one otherwise?
No you are correct about the initial run. Some people are assuming/hoping that if the crowd-funding goes ahead, there will be a second run in a few years time which will be available to buy normally.

Whilst I am sure that Dave would like to do a second run, I do not think this is a certainty. 1500 models (the size of the initial run) is likely to satisfy appetites for quite a while. Also a second run (if it does happen) is likely to be at a higher price given inflation etc.

And now I am thinking about getting a 3rd King to flog on eBay just to help get the project across the line.  ;D

NinOz

Quote from: Karhedron on June 07, 2017, 10:44:18 AM
And now I am thinking about getting a 3rd King to flog on eBay just to help get the project across the line.  ;D
That seems like a good idea for assisting. :thumbsup:
Will order an extra or two myself.  Only problem is, will I actually part with the extras. :worried:

CFJ

Saw the Mogul announcement on RM site, don't know how I missed it.  Intention announced mid 2014 so I hope it will not be too far away.  Want the two GWR insignia versions.

| Carpe Jugulum |

trkilliman

No you are correct about the initial run. Some people are assuming/hoping that if the crowd-funding goes ahead, there will be a second run in a few years time which will be available to buy normally.

Whilst I am sure that Dave would like to do a second run, I do not think this is a certainty. 1500 models (the size of the initial run) is likely to satisfy appetites for quite a while. Also a second run (if it does happen) is likely to be at a higher price given inflation etc.

This has gotten me thinking about a possible 3rd King Matt. I wonder what the doubting Thomas's could end up paying for one via ebay?

Snowwolflair

Quote from: trkilliman on June 07, 2017, 11:25:33 AM

This has gotten me thinking about a possible 3rd King Matt. I wonder what the doubting Thomas's could end up paying for one via ebay?

At a big markup for their lack of faith. :D

johnlambert

I'm now thinking the same thing.  Trouble is, I'd like three of my own.  Maybe I need to increase my order to four?

Karhedron

Quote from: Snowwolflair on June 07, 2017, 11:27:31 AM
At a big markup for their lack of faith. :D

via Imgflip Meme Generator

longbow

Only two days to the project deadline on Sunday. The B-Tanks project built up a real buzz which I'm sure helped it over the finish line, but here it's all quiet. Not even a reminder from DJM.

woodbury22uk

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Les1952

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

I do NOT need a King

..... but I have put my name on the list for one. 

Les

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations