Christmas presents to self!!

Started by GroupC, December 17, 2014, 05:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I beg your indulgence, but my xmas present to myself is not [shock horror] in 1:144

it is a Revell 1:72 A400M 'Atlas' transport kit, which although listed on Amazon at over £100, I found on fleabay at £39.99 with free p&p.

so my wargames forces have beaten my railway, mea culpa, but WHAT A DEAL ! :-)
SWMBO even agreed it was a good buy ------- and that doesn't happen very often !

Skyline2uk

Quote from: class37025 on November 28, 2017, 08:42:09 PM
I beg your indulgence, but my xmas present to myself is not [shock horror] in 1:144

it is a Revell 1:72 A400M 'Atlas' transport kit, which although listed on Amazon at over £100, I found on fleabay at £39.99 with free p&p.

so my wargames forces have beaten my railway, mea culpa, but WHAT A DEAL ! :-)
SWMBO even agreed it was a good buy ------- and that doesn't happen very often !

Oooohhhh I think we can let you off just this once  ;)

Skyline2uk

tutenkhamunsleeping

David Asquith

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping on November 28, 2017, 10:23:14 PM
Quote from: Lindi on November 28, 2017, 09:25:06 PM
Maybe I've overdone the DMU's slightly.  :)

You can't overdo DMUs :no:

I love DMU's.  It looks as if I won't be buying myself a Class 142 for Christmas.

Dave

Webbo

Quote from: Snowwolflair on November 24, 2017, 10:01:21 AM
I have invested in a pair of Dentist/medical loupes with x6 magnification. :goggleeyes:  Eyesight is not what it used to be but still good and i want to keep it that way. 8)

They are a good price now, about the cost of a loco, if you buy them direct from China and they make working on small items so much easier. :beers:

As an aside you can get an amazing range of medical instruments from China on Ebay at good prices. :thumbsup:

I've been thinking that obtaining some of these would be a great thing. Might I ask Snowwolflair@ where he is buying these loupes from?

Thanks
Webbo

Snowwolflair

They are available though Ebay or direct through the Bangood and other websites and they are all direct from China.

A short note on use.

I use x3.5 (available at Boots etc) x4, x6 and x7 reading type glasses to model.  They are very good but the disadvantage is they are single lens and you have to hold the model closer and closer to your face to get them in focus.  If you have a big nose x6 is about the limit :D

The dental loupes are telescopes (only buy this type) with multiple lenses so the working distance is normal, about 15 inches from your face and this is adjustable.  Working under magnification takes a bit of time to get used to but if you want to paint eyebrows on an N scale figure, or the equivalent, invaluable. 8)

The Loupes can either come mounted on a spectacle frame, good if you have normal eyesight, or on a headband mounting that allows you to wear your normal glasses at the same time, good if you have an astigmatism or similar.

Also find someone who has a pair before you buy and try them out, as they are not cheap and are a significant investment.

MinZaPint

Well for me it just had to be

I'm sure I was standing upright when I took the picture! Oh well hey ho  :pint:

[gmod]*Fixed it for you Paul.[/gmod]
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

joe cassidy

Quote from: joe cassidy on November 28, 2017, 08:22:29 PM
My Christmas present to me this year will be either :
Dapol Schools loco "Malvern" in Bulleid green livery or Dapol A4 loco with valances "Empire of India" in garter blue livery.
I will choose whichever is LEAST likely to be discounted by the major retailers after Christmas.
My feeling is that the A4s are selling better than the Bulleid liveried Schools so I think there is more likelihood that the Schools will be discounted before the A4s.
To reply to my own question, Hattons have 2 or 3 of each of the A4s in stock, whereas they have more than 10 of each of the schools.

Hattons still have at least 30 Schools in Malachite green livery in stock.

Can we expect a sale soon ?

Best regards,

Joe

joe cassidy

It's my birthday next month and I want to make sure that I get at least one decent present so I have given up on waiting for the Dapol Schools class loco to be discounted and bought "Malvern" in Southern malachite livery (sorry Mr.Boyden).

I would like to buy some matching coaches so can someone tell me whether it would be OK to backdate the BR malachite green coaches from Dapol (Maunsells) or Farish (Bulleids) to Southern Railway livery ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe

Fardap

Quote from: joe cassidy on October 11, 2018, 01:58:50 PM
It's my birthday next month and I want to make sure that I get at least one decent present so I have given up on waiting for the Dapol Schools class loco to be discounted and bought "Malvern" in Southern malachite livery (sorry Mr.Boyden).

Join the club and they are/were discounted Wellington and Malvern at £75.00 ea

BobB

Sale of business and house successful. Present to self and wife will be two one way aeroplane tickets !

Cutter

I just splurged on a bespoke footbridge kit from York Modelrail. I noticed their new OO Great Northern footbridge and asked if they might consider a 1:148 version so I could bash two to configure the bridge I need for Welwyn North and they offered a bespoke version incorporating the gas lamp stanchions! For the price of a couple of locos a major headache had been solved. (The fancy banisters on the staircases are a distinctive feature of these bridges and a pig to scratch build)

Railwaygun

the people demand a picture!

(please)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on December 18, 2014, 11:34:18 PM
I've taken a fancy to this Japanese pre-war EMU which is on sale at quite a reasonable price.

Oooh, how time flies.

I struck that one off the list as too "Rule 1" even for me, but subsequently discovered that it would, with some modifications, be perfectly justifiable for my purposes, by which time it had long sold out, now they say procrastination doesn't pay but wait long enough and one will pop up on the second hand market in as-new condition at about 75% of the retail price:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations