Alert!

Started by RichardBattersby, June 18, 2012, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardBattersby

I know we've had the alert triangle for a while now but I don't think it works properly for me. I sometimes get a red 1 or 2, whatever, next to it to say someone has replied to a post I follow (I assume that's what it's telling me?) but when I click on the triangle the red and number dissappears and all I'm left with is a little title bar - 'Alerts, see more alerts alerts settings'. Is it supposed to show the thread that has been replied to underneath that? I'm using IE9.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Illori

it does not work with IE, use a better browser.

H

Quote from: Illori on June 18, 2012, 10:57:37 PM

Subjective!

It ought to work with all popular web browsers.

H.

longbridge

Make the switch out of IE9 and download Firefox, safer and will do all you ask.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Illori

IE is known to have many issues and does not work with newer standards for making websites. if you want things to work use a better browser.

Sprintex

Quote from: H on June 18, 2012, 11:28:23 PM

Subjective!

Not quite, since my misses got a new laptop running IE9 we've come across all sorts of websites that will not work properly on it, yet they work fine on mine running IE8. There are well-known issues with IE9  ;)

Paul

Illori

even IE8 is not much better/worse, it will not work with the alert mod either and many websites will not work with it correctly.

Chinahand

Actually IE8 does work. Just click on 'See More Alerts' and you are taken to a list of the threads where replies to your comments have been posted.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Illori

then it does not work, as it should show the alerts right on the page you are on without going to another page.

longbridge

Having been a Windows user for about 17 years I have had a fair bit of experience with the various IE releases, before I gave Windows the flick 3 years ago and switched to a Linux based OS, since then I have used "Opera", "Chrome", "Firefox" and various other Browsers intended for Linux and can honestly say everything I used did a faster and better and most importantly safer job than IE.

So many people have made the switch to Firefox or Chrome and been entirely happy, I have zero trouble with anything on this or any other forums by using Firefox, I guess its what you get used to.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Adam1701D

I'm currently supporting a company-wide migration from Windows XP to 7 in my day job. It's safe to say that we are seeing lots of website compatibility problems with the change from IE7 to IE9.

Switch to Firefox or Chrome.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

RichardBattersby

So it currently doesn't work with IE9, that's the info I was looking for. The browser war seems to infiltrate everything these days. You cannot say, though, that X browser is the best and right for everyone. I like IE. It's fast, safe and reliable. People often use the safety issue as the key steak with which to slay the IE argument but, on release, it was found to be the safest of the lot, by independent companies. I don't know how it stands currently. There are many pros, and negatives, to every browser but to outright say Firefox or Chrome is better, or indeed that IE is the worst, is rubbish.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Pengi

I use Firefox and Safari and I can see the Alerts in both. Sometimes I do get an 'unresponsive script' error in Firefox when on the Forum though
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Lawrence

Message to all - please do not turn this into a my browser is better than your browser war of words, stick to the facts and that way we can address any issues there may be more effectively.  Thank you

longbridge

Quote from: RichardBattersby on June 19, 2012, 07:46:40 AM

There are many pros, and negatives, to every browser but to outright say Firefox or Chrome is better, or indeed that IE is the worst, is rubbish.

I guess it depends on which way you look at things Richard, there is no doubt that people that write virus's and other net nasties have made a sport out of making Windows users lives a misery, to my knowledge no browser has ever had as many security patches written for it like all versions of IE, many of these patches being available only a few days after a new version has been released.

Lawrence just stating the facts here, what browser people use is entirely their choice, as previously stated by me I used IE for 16 years or more.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations