The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

Jerry Howlett

On this strange topic and living in foreign parts, I noticed that the car I hired in the UK still gives me a reading of how many MPG I was doing when I was trying to exceed the 25 MPH of the other traffic on the M 25. 

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

daveg

25MPH + on the M25?

Surprised you weren't nicked for speeding, Jerry!

My record on that dreaded highway is 65 miles in 4 hours and that after a 10 hour working day.

Hurrah for early retirement!

Dave G

scottmitchell74

Brand new Class 40 with sound:

Directional light doesn't work!!

(All other lights work, but not the one taillight)

$22.50 to ship back to UK!!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Newportnobby

Oh dear. You're really not having fun with that loco :(

scottmitchell74

:no:

Yeah. It's my stupid fault. I keep trying to do this British outline thing (I just love how everything looks. I love everything about it) but dealing with companies over-seas is wearing me out.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Dr Al

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on January 09, 2018, 09:25:48 PM
Brand new Class 40 with sound:

Directional light doesn't work!!

(All other lights work, but not the one taillight)

I know you've had the body off from other thread  ;)  ;) - check the conductor wiper contacts at that end haven't got bent and aren't making good contact....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

scottmitchell74

That doesn't seem to be the problem. The lights on the other end work and the contacts all look the same to my naked eye.

Grr!! I hate trying to do things to a brand new item.

Thanks again for your help.

Dr Al

The white lights on the other end are a different independent circuit, so not relevant to this problem.

I'd bend all those wipers at the suspect end out a little, and clean their surfaces (and the PCB contact regions) with a fibreglass pencil.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

scottmitchell74

Hmm...both the white and red lights on one end don't work, and both the white and red lights on the other do.

I'm really unskilled at these things, and I REALLY appreciate your help. Thanks!

Dr Al

Sounds like the common return from the two coloured sets of LEDs isn't making contact then - I'm afraid I don't know which wiper that corresponds to, but it's worth giving them a once over.

Beyond that, have a look at the wired connections between the main PCB and the wipers, and check that in removing the body you didn't knock one of them and detach it. If you did you'll need to re-solder it carefully.

Also worth unplugging and replugging the DCC blank in case one of the pins that relates to these lights isn't making good contact or there's a whisp of dirt in there.

Cheers,
Alan

Dr Al

Very good shout from Lindi to check too - I'd forgotten that feature!

Cheers,
Alan

scottmitchell74

Found the switches. Both on on both ends. Switched it off then on, just to see. Nothing. No white or red lights.

I don't have a soldering iron, and the parts are so tiny I wouldn't know what to do anyhow. I'm going to wait to hear from Hatton's tomorrow.

Thanks guys, so much!!

scottmitchell74

Hatton's!!!!

Still being given the run-around by Hatton's.

Also, the Class 40 with Sound is now discontinued? Already? They're saying that if I send it back, I can't get a replacement. The Class 40 with Sound is gone forever.

Wow.

Newportnobby

Scott - I suggest you contact Farish direct, explain the problem to them and ask what they intend to do for you. To my mind they should fix it for you and pay shipping costs both ways.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations