What British outline models did Minitrix produce?

Started by railwaysymphony, February 07, 2012, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

The Minitrix models are highly nostalgic for me; the Dock Tank set was my entry into N Gauge.  It was a birthday present; I can remember seeing it in Bailey's toyshop in Macclesfield, spending a long time just staring at it in the shop, and being delighted to receive it at the age of, I guess, around 11 or 12.   It ran brilliantly, round and round my juvenile layout; I wish I had a photo of it doing so.

I have more recently bought one of these sets in pretty good condition, just for pure nostalgia.

For Christmas I got the Ivatt tender engine.  It didn't run properly, and I had a go at fixing it myself, which made it much worse, so it hasn't run in more than 40 years.  I keep thinking I might get it fixed one day! 

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

BernardTPM

The Minitrix Warship first came out in the Summer of 1970 and was reviewed in the Sept. issue of Railway Modeller. The sample shown was BR Blue D823 Hermes. Elsewhere in that issue W&H Models were advertising ref: 2904 D816 Eclipse in Green and ref: 2905 D815 Druid in Blue. I think a Maroon version was issued later, so I'll check a few newer (but pre-Hornby Minitrix) RMs.
The chassis with the bufferbeams attached to the bogie were replaced in late Hornby Minitrix years with a new chassis where just the bogie moved, I assume because the V200 received a new chassis at the same time. This looks rather better than the earlier model, though it has the same small round buffers as before rather than the correct for a Warship oval ones.

The Maroon version (with full yellow ends) seems to have arrived about a year later. I haven't yet found which name/number were depicted on the model. Interestingly either the original numbers quoted in the older ad were wrong or Minitrix changed their numbers as they were later given as 2034 Green, 2035 Blue and 2036 Maroon. (The smaller Type 2 was 2901 & 2902 while the Britannia, new in 1971, was 2037).

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations