How to run a roundy roundy layout

Started by Chris Morris, October 13, 2016, 08:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PostModN66

A different train each time I would say.....

Having a "return" working is a secondary effect as most people don't watch for long enough to see the return working.

As to suspending the rules whilst "chatting", this is all very well as long as there are no other spectators.  I have sometimes experienced the situation where I am trying to watch a layout whilst someone is in conversation with one of the operators - resulting in all sorts of irregularities; lapping trains, hands in the field of view gesturing to or touching scenery, trains stopped for inspection or even stock lifted off, or just general sloppy operation.   It might be good for them but spoils my enjoyment! 

I don't get grumpy though, I just come back later when I hope things have improved!   ;)

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Chris Morris

Most visitors seem to love it when I leave trains just running round and round although some hate it. I run dc and have only two controllers. Conversation with visitors is not a good idea when I do this. Its best done when there are youngsters watching and only for a short period of time.
Apologies for running the Western with full yellow front ends as it doesn't fit in with the other stock. There will be a Collett full brake added to the milk train as soon as it arrives from NGS.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

acko22

Chris,

Again you have possibly opened Pandora's box on this one, I think you just have to play to the audience and what ever exhibition it is you will never make everyone happy but as long as you find a balance then you can do a bit of everything!

Its just knowing where and when you can pick one of your above selections.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

guest373

A difficult question, on Umbridge we have 4 track main line with passing loops in the main station.  Each line has a 4 track fiddle yard. Plus a branch line.  How we run depends on the audience / operator combination.  With a young audience who like counting the wagons/coaches one operator may run the same train round- after removing/adding stock  :laugh:  If someone watching shows a particular interest in a train then that train may run around and stop where it can be seen.  If an operator is on a break and we do not have cover, then a train can be set to run continuously whilst be watched by remaining operators.  The train will run round 9 times then derail on the 10th if not watched :help: 
We try to keep something moving as we believe we are there to entertain a paying audience.
We also run to a period - at the moment blue/grey.  But not strictly enforced, an underground train may make an appearance ( trialing battery or nuclear if anyone asks where the other 2 rails are).  :bounce:

Tony

Newportnobby

Quote from: gawain on October 17, 2016, 11:51:39 AM
The train will run round 9 times then derail on the 10th if not watched :help: 

That's very clever. Or do the local resistance fighters blow up the track out of ennui? :uneasy:

Ian Bowden

Watching some of the spectators at Warrington last weekend. I noticed people walked away from very detailed layouts, rather than look at the scenic work, as soon as trains stopped running for more than 30 seconds. I did find it boring if I had to wait too long but there was time then to appreciate the excellent scenic work.

Bob Tidbury

My theory then is if you only run the train round 8 times then run a diferent train that way you won't get a derailment,
Bob

daffy

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on October 17, 2016, 02:29:42 PM
My theory then is if you only run the train round 8 times then run a diferent train that way you won't get a derailment,
Bob
Until you run that train again and it derails on the second (net tenth) lap. ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bob Tidbury

Now that would be very  spooky  in  fact down right weird.
But That does happen on my layout too and not even the same train or in one place just very randomly.
If we have a running session ,one night the layout runs perfectly with all trains behaving themselves another night every thing that could go wrong does ,aren't model railways Tempermental or is it me mental.
And I don't want any body replying to that Thankyou.
Bob.

Steve.T

Quote from: newportnobby on October 13, 2016, 10:50:06 AM
However, sometimes it's just nice to relax with a glass of my favorite tipple (Southern Comfort or a decent single malt) and let the train run round several times.

One thing you can't do with the prototype, but sounds a cracking idea to me.

:beers:

Steve
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Steve

Dorsetmike

I think the size of layout can make a difference, 2 or 3 circuits of a small oval for a train then change. A small single line oval doesn't give an operator much time to get the next train ready. Using cassettes, it's easy enough to reverse the complete train and send it back in the opposite direction; helps if the train is made up with a brake at each end then it's less obvious that the whole train has been reversed, not just the loco turned and run round as would usually be the prototype  operation. Better still if you can swap the loco though.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

alibuchan

We have 4 x 5 track fiddle yards and they can hold 5 trains on the up fast, 6 on the down fast, 9 on the down slow and 10 on the up slow. Then there are 7 trains on the end to end branch, with 5 tracks one end and 3 at the other.

The mainlines have a set pattern to how they run, and we try never to have the same train run twice unless it has just come off so we can try to work out where and why. The branch doesn't have a set pattern and it is free for the branch man to play as he feels like it.

During the quiet periods of the show I have become quite skilled at running the 1 DMU and 2 EMUs in the down slow yard perfectly, so that the 3 go one after the other with me only having to use 1 isolating sections and the start switch. But these are different classes and liveries (LM 350, 170, silverlink 350) so can be done without it being noticed.

Alistair

lil chris

You have hit on a good point there I would have imagined in real life, ie in the steam era, only the loco would have been turned round not the whole train. On my layout which is just for my amusment I have two tracks, up and down, in the fiddle yard which are connected with a crossover. The idea being I can use my station has a terminus for a DMU send it to the fiddle yard and later send it back on the other track, there is of course a crossover in the station. My station is loosley based on Bury Bolton st station where the 3rd rail EMU's from Manchester terminated. Now the line is running trams but not from Bolton st the is now the home of the ELR presevation railway..
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Chris Morris

Quote from: ScottyStitch on October 13, 2016, 01:06:23 PM

Even more ideally, if a train enters from the left and exits stage right, eventually I'd like to see (and it makes sense for) that train to return from the right and exit stage left (obviously much later in the sequence). This is preferable to Tornado and train moving left to right and then a short while later in the sequence, Tornado and train moving left to right.........How did it get back without passing me?!

I appreciate not all fiddle yards are set up for that type of operation, etc. But you did ask :worried:

I do something similar to this on my garden railway. The timber train runs up the line empty and returns full. It is of course much easier to have removable loads in a larger scale.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

longbow

I've put together steam-era WTTs for two busy routes using prototypical engine and carriage workings, and it's surprising how few trains came and went without being re-engined and remarshalled.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations