Kit built on e bay

Started by BramptonBranch, March 23, 2015, 12:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BramptonBranch

Hi All

There seem to be a large amount of kit built locos from the same seller on eBay, however they seem to be re-listed frequently any thoughts if Im tempted to buy?

Cheers
Andy
You can never have to many Warships!

talisman56

In a word... don't. Some of these have doubtful provenance, especially from a trader called antiquetoys. They're probably Poole Farish, not kits built by CJM, and certainly not worth the prices being asked for them.

When you have a few more posts to your name, you will be able to access the extended portion of the site, which includes a topic headed 'eBay madness', in which all these offers are highlighted and debated at length...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

davidinyork

Quote from: talisman56 on March 23, 2015, 01:20:38 PM
In a word... don't. Some of these have doubtful provenance, especially from a trader called antiquetoys. They're probably Poole Farish, not kits built by CJM, and certainly not worth the prices being asked for them.

When you have a few more posts to your name, you will be able to access the extended portion of the site, which includes a topic headed 'eBay madness', in which all these offers are highlighted and debated at length...

You have to wonder why antiquetoys (and gostude, although he sells OO gauge) continue to list things at these sorts of prices - they clearly don't sell as they remain month on month!

silly moo

Although some of them are kit built there are others that have just been renumbered or repainted still at the same ridiculous prices. Talisman is right, a lot of them are older models and will not be good runners, they won't be DCC ready either.

It is were me I would rather put my money into new DCC ready locos with guarantees.

:NGaugersRule:

BramptonBranch

Thanks guys pretty much what I thought.
Will give it miss!
You can never have to many Warships!

scruff

Even CJM have a warning on their website about these.

Cheers
Mark

Southerngooner

Interestingly I found Antique Toys has acquired an old Shredded Jinty that I made in the 90's following Andy Calvert's article in the NGS Journal. I sold it for £50 back in 2006 when I sold off all my old stuff, as even the interim Farish Jinty looked much better. While i put a lot of work into it, and it ran well, it is not worth the £124.50 they have it up for on ebay. They also didn't reply when I told him via ebay how I had made it, and that it was not "professionally made", "probably by N Gauge Lines" . Ho hum, he'll be stuck with that for a long time methinks.....
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

davidinyork

Quote from: Southerngooner on April 17, 2017, 03:35:15 PM
Ho hum, he'll be stuck with that for a long time methinks.....

That doesn't seem to bother him, given how long some of his overpriced offerings have been listed on ebay month after month!

railsquid

Aha, this would be the infamous Ebay seller whose keyboard has the strange habit of substituting 'k' for 'sh' when the following letters are 'it'.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Southerngooner on April 17, 2017, 03:35:15 PM
Interestingly I found Antique Toys has acquired an old Shredded Jinty that I made in the 90's following Andy Calvert's article in the NGS Journal. I sold it for £50 back in 2006 when I sold off all my old stuff, as even the interim Farish Jinty looked much better. While i put a lot of work into it, and it ran well, it is not worth the £124.50 they have it up for on ebay. They also didn't reply when I told him via ebay how I had made it, and that it was not "professionally made", "probably by N Gauge Lines" . Ho hum, he'll be stuck with that for a long time methinks.....

Oh how glorious, I had hoped something like this would happen. The seller in question being informed EXACTLY what the model is and where it came from!

Nice.

Is the question you asked public?

Skyline2uk

dannyboy

How about contacting ebay and letting them know that the seller has been informed as to the provenance of the model and, if he does not change the description, he is deliberately wrongfully describing the item  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Railwaygun

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Southerngooner

Yep, that's the one. I dd post a message telling him exactly what he had when it was listed a year or two back but if it gets relisted then I suppose that message disappears. I can't be a**ed to do it every time it is listed! I have photos of the loco taken before I sold it so I am absolutely sure it is mine!
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Portpatrick

I have long noticed and occasionally look at this seller.  Almost tempted once by a kit built N2 which was almost reasonably priced.  It did sell eventually.  The other one at double the price hung on, and I would not be surprised if it was still there!!  If the crowd funded one gets off the ground I will have that.

But there is typically a right mix of kit built (Langley, Marsh D&M/BHE and others), and also some superdetailed RTR.  And I too have noticed there can be a lack of appreciation of what they actually have.  As others have noted most will be running on older Poole based chassis.  In itself I would not rule those out - I still have a few and they run well enough, not too badly short of the modern versions.  But you may need to be ready to do some work on them.  Which at the prices charged I would not be happy about.  At their prices I would expect a loco to be fully serviced and tested, with worn brushes etc renewed.

So I keep off them.  Good luck to those who buy.

koyli55002

It always amuses (and amazes) me how many shops, as well as websites, think that the word "antique" in their trading name automatically qualifies them to "hyper-inflate" their asking prices !

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations