Macafee Refund Roblem

Started by REGP, August 10, 2015, 11:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGP

Last year I managed to confuse an offer for a new Macafee security package with the renewal of an existing one. Consequently I ended up paying almost £60= for something I already had!

I only discovered this when the auto renewal went thru at the end of July this year.

On checking their site I find they will refund renewals if you apply in time, great
I thought.

The trouble is I can't find a UK telephone number for their customer services (your suppose to apply by phone) and every time I try and contact them on line the server is to busy!

Anyone have a telephone number for them or no a way of contacting them?

Ray

MikeDunn

http://www.mcafee.com/uk/about-us.aspx

Good luck ... I think they only do a 30 or 60 day refund ...

REGP

Mike

Thanks for the info, found the appropriate number, called it. and have got this years renewal refunded.

Your help most appreciated.

Ray

MikeDunn

No worries; glad you got the money back to spend on more railway stuff  :thumbsup:

REGP

It'll almost pay for that Western I just bought from Kernow.

Ray

Jerry Howlett

I cancelled Macafee a few years back with similar problems. My reason was I objected to the renewal being charged about 2 months before the expiry !!

Now use Malware bytes which is available free but the pay version was not expensive and for a one time fee for life includes moving to a new computer when required.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

davidinyork

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on August 10, 2015, 01:51:00 PM
I cancelled Macafee a few years back with similar problems. My reason was I objected to the renewal being charged about 2 months before the expiry !!

Now use Malware bytes which is available free but the pay version was not expensive and for a one time fee for life includes moving to a new computer when required.

Jerry

I don't think malwarebytes is a full anti-virus program as such, is it? Whenever I've used it it has been alongside something such as Kasperky or McAfee.

davidinyork

Quote from: davidinyork on August 10, 2015, 02:21:21 PM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on August 10, 2015, 01:51:00 PM

Jerry

I don't think malwarebytes is a full anti-virus program as such, is it? Whenever I've used it it has been alongside something such as Kasperky or McAfee.

To answer my own question, the Malwarebytes support site says:
QuoteMalwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".

This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors.

It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

So basically you do also need an antivirus program as well.

Graham Walters

I cannot understand why people still fork out good money for anti-virus software, I certainly wouldn't pay for McAffee, it's far too intrusive.

If you have Windows newer than 7, the package included is as good as anything, and it's free, updates are free for life, they come with your windows updates, if you are still nervous about it, then download Avast, that is also free and is far superior to McAffee.

If you are concerned about getting a virus via e-mail, then open a G Mail account, all incoming mail is scanned.

Use Firefox as your web browser and you will get warnings if you are about to open something risky, you can of course override all of this if you want to.

So you see there is no need to fork out £60 a year for something that come bundled with your new PC, all it does is clog up the hard drive and give you less physical memory.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

davidinyork

Quote from: Graham Walters on August 10, 2015, 08:48:09 PM
I cannot understand why people still fork out good money for anti-virus software, I certainly wouldn't pay for McAffee, it's far too intrusive.

If you have Windows newer than 7, the package included is as good as anything, and it's free, updates are free for life, they come with your windows updates, if you are still nervous about it, then download Avast, that is also free and is far superior to McAffee.

If you are concerned about getting a virus via e-mail, then open a G Mail account, all incoming mail is scanned.

Use Firefox as your web browser and you will get warnings if you are about to open something risky, you can of course override all of this if you want to.

So you see there is no need to fork out £60 a year for something that come bundled with your new PC, all it does is clog up the hard drive and give you less physical memory.

I don't agree - the AV built into Windows isn't great and I would always install a decent AV program - although AVG Free or Avast is generally find for home use.

For business computers something more advanced is needed - I use Kaspersky.

Graham Walters

Quote from: davidinyork on August 10, 2015, 08:52:51 PM
Quote from: Graham Walters on August 10, 2015, 08:48:09 PM

I don't agree - the AV built into Windows isn't great and I would always install a decent AV program - although AVG Free or Avast is generally find for home use.

For business computers something more advanced is needed - I use Kaspersky.

A lot depends on where you are going on the net, as a general rule business's are a more targeted niche for a virus than the home computer user who opens a dodgy e-mail.

I was dubious about joining this forum at first because it is SMF and is free, therefore I assume that not as much care has been taken in the coding as would be in a paid for platform. Forums are where you can quite easily pick up a virus through attachments.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Sprintex

Having been through the the pain of an infected laptop some time ago and the hours of messing around it takes to recover it I consider the £39.99 I've just paid for renewal of my AVG Security Suite money well spent for peace of mind ;)

Paul

austinbob

Quote from: Sprintex on August 10, 2015, 09:27:02 PM
Having been through the the pain of an infected laptop some time ago and the hours of messing around it takes to recover it I consider the £39.99 I've just paid for renewal of my AVG Security Suite money well spent for peace of mind ;)

Paul
Quite right Sprintex. I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes - doesn't cost a lot but you'd be amazed how much dodgy stuff these progs pick up. Well worth the money for peace of mind.
As you say it is so much hassle to sort out an infected computer.,
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

davidinyork

Quote from: austinbob on August 10, 2015, 09:35:43 PM
Quite right Sprintex. I use Bitdefender and Malwarebytes - doesn't cost a lot but you'd be amazed how much dodgy stuff these progs pick up. Well worth the money for peace of mind.
As you say it is so much hassle to sort out an infected computer.,
:beers:

Indeed. I get them occasionally at work - no antivirus can stop someone who seems set on doing something really daft! - and normally I just pull them straight out of use and wipe and reinstall. The time it can take to clean up a bad infection, particularly one which damages registry entries and suchlike, generally means it's easier and quicker to just wipe the hard drive and start again.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations