Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I thought I was doing quite well, but I've counted over 50 steam locos mentioned in that post, Les :goggleeyes:
Where will the new Dapol Battle of Britain fit in? :-X

paulprice

A man after my own heart you can never have enough loco's  :D

railsquid

Blast from the past found in the basement of one of my favourite Tokyo model shops:

Graham Farish generic corridor coaches? by Rail Squid, on Flickr
I presume they're very early Farish "generic" coaches, in good condition for their age and at about a quid each worth acquiring for possible future projects.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: railsquid on March 17, 2017, 01:55:26 PM
Blast from the past found in the basement of one of my favourite Tokyo model shops:

Graham Farish generic corridor coaches? by Rail Squid, on Flickr
I presume they're very early Farish "generic" coaches, in good condition for their age and at about a quid each worth acquiring for possible future projects.

BARGAIN!

Les1952

Quote from: newportnobby on March 17, 2017, 10:40:02 AM
I thought I was doing quite well, but I've counted over 50 steam locos mentioned in that post, Les :goggleeyes:

It won't. 

I generally take about 70 locos with me to a show - two spares/replacements for each of the 22 trains on the layout.  I don't have a programming track on the layout and if a loco's wheels get too dirty it is easier when busy to swap it and put it back in the box to clean later.  In any case some shows don't give you as much space as others so a maintenance area backstage often isn't possible.

Les

NeMo

Quote from: escafeld on March 15, 2017, 06:42:24 PM
Postie delivered a quintet of peaks today  :D

Nice. So you'll be modelling the Midland mainline I take it?

Oddly enough the place I 'spotted' them most frequently during the early 1980s was Bristol. It's often overlooked how much Class 46s especially were part of the Western Region scene. I don't know if any were ever allocated there, but they frequently ran interregional services.

Did yours come with those odd triangular chocks? Took me ages to figure out they're for filling the steam heat water filling holes on the roof, for modelling locos that were ETH only.

Narrowing the bogies is worth doing if you can be bothered. I think Farish were a bit over-generous in allowing sideways play for tight curves, with the result that their 'Peaks' have bogies that are much too wide. Not noticeable sideways on, but head on, it does look a bit odd.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Les1952 on March 18, 2017, 07:21:59 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on March 17, 2017, 10:40:02 AM

It won't. 

I was actually just joshing, but you're quite right - it won't after Dapol's announcement.

Newportnobby

Quote from: NeMo on March 18, 2017, 07:56:52 AM
Oddly enough the place I 'spotted' them most frequently during the early 1980s was Bristol. It's often overlooked how much Class 46s especially were part of the Western Region scene. I don't know if any were ever allocated there, but they frequently ran interregional services.

For me it was the 1960s. I used to travel from Northampton to Bletchley then connect with a DMU service along the Varsity Line to Bedford. It was wonderful seeing them on the main line superelevated curves :drool:

NeMo

Quote from: escafeld on March 18, 2017, 10:52:21 AM
The boogies are very large width wise. A simple modification to narrow them is to remove the tag on the right hand side of the buffer beam, this is only required for Class45/1 as it is for the electric train heat connection (provided in the accessory bag). The front can then be filled square to the side frames on each side. Just by doing this improves the appearance considerably.

Absolutely! That's what I did with my Class 46, 46041 resting between duties at Quantoxhead Harbour. Although simple in principle, the plastic used for the bogies is bendy and I found it difficult to cut accurately and then glue back into shape after filing away the appropriate amount of plastic. I also added some jumpers and cables onto the front bogie in place of the Rapido coupling.

There's still the unsightly gap between the top of the bogie and the locomotive bodywork, presumably there to allow the model to climb up sharp inclines. Possibly a bit of plastic padding could be added and filed as required?

Quote from: escafeld on March 18, 2017, 10:52:21 AM
Towards the end of the working life (early 1980's) the Class 46's were all allocated to Gateshead depot and from what I can remember were the mainstay of the North East/South West service using MK1 stock. These were withdrawn before the Class 45's and they were steam heat only. Prior to that I believe the class was split between Gateshaed and Laira, They were also regulars on the china clay trains from cornwall.

Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Webbo

NeMo

I agree that the gap above the bogies on the locomotive  is not the greatest, but the rest of the scene looks terrific.

Webbo

Bealman

Those models are quite famous for the gap. However, it's still a great pic.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

Seeing as any chance of getting a Bulleid Battle of Britain pacific Spam Can has been kiboshed, I ordered this from Trackshack Friday afternoon last week and it arrived next day. It runs superbly straight from the box.............

Oh dear. The pics have shown I need to vacuum :-[
One of the perils of having a white and ginger cat ::)

port perran

Looks really nice Mick but as you suggest, I'd get thse cat hairs hovered up before they get absorbed into the loco's motion !
You could always get one of the old Farish spam cans ?
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

daffy

Nice Merchant Navy Mick. :thumbsup:

Is that a prototype Peco model of a late 40's/early 50's tower block I see in the background? ;)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

Quote from: port perran on March 20, 2017, 11:37:42 AM
Looks really nice Mick but as you suggest, I'd get thse cat hairs hovered up before they get absorbed into the loco's motion !
You could always get one of the old Farish spam cans ?

I already have 2 x rebuilt Merchant Navies and have had the replacement bogies from NBrass for about 3 years, too. Needless to say I just haven't got a round tuit yet.
Nice runners but lacking the details of the recent one.

Quote from: daffy on March 20, 2017, 11:39:01 AM

Is that a prototype Peco model of a late 40's/early 50's tower block I see in the background? ;)

My attempt at an art-deco flock of batsblock of flats ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations