Farish Cross Country 170 Re-Release Date

Started by Smit, November 15, 2017, 01:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smit

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had a firm date as to when Graham Farish were planning on re-releasing their Class 170 in Cross Country livery. Most stores seem to carry this as model number 371-431A for pre-orders.

I have been following this for about six months now and I cannot seem to find a firm release date.

Thanks,

Smit

RailGooner

Status shows as 'on order' on Bachmann's site (http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=farish&prod=1). That suggests to me it won't be here before Q3 2018. But who knows? MBH and I were discussing the unreliable nature of model releases last night. In particular, why can't Farish and Dapol get their train-packs/book-sets in stores now, so that she can buy me one for Xmas(?)! :thumbsdown:

Chris Morris

Quote from: RailGooner on November 15, 2017, 08:25:29 AM
In particular, why can't Farish and Dapol can't get their train-packs/book-sets in stores now, so that she can buy me one for Xmas(?)! :thumbsdown:

Because they are at the mercy of the Chinese factory production scheduling. They probably are relatively small orders so they ain't going to get a high priority even if the production is for a company within the same group.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

RailGooner

Quote from: Chris Morris on November 15, 2017, 09:09:18 AM
Quote from: RailGooner on November 15, 2017, 08:25:29 AM
In particular, why can't Farish and Dapol can't get their train-packs/book-sets in stores now, so that she can buy me one for Xmas(?)! :thumbsdown:

Because they are at the mercy of the Chinese factory production scheduling. They probably are relatively small orders so they ain't going to get a high priority even if the production is for a company within the same group.

And knowing the unpredictability of the production facilities, very senior management types ought to be able to factor that in so that products ideal for Xmas gifts arrive in time for Xmas. IMHO that's one of the reasons senior management types receive senior salaries. I don't think it's rocket science, but if it turns out it is rocket science they should employ rocket scientists.

:sorrysign: Sorry Smit, this is straying beyond your OP.

koyli55002

To be honest, it looks to me as though it's simply a repaint job on the old chassis - no mention of DCC capability etc. on the Farish website, so definitely not on my wish list right now.....

njee20

Don't think anyone's said anything to the contrary, it's a re-release, not a new release.

I've got a London Midland one, it was easy to convert to DCC and runs beautifully. I wouldn't avoid it just because it's a bit dated.

koyli55002

Point taken - got rather excited when I saw the original post....but I'd rather they revamped the 158 first anyway !

mr magnolia

170s in Cross Country livery?
Who knew that was a thing!
Whereabouts do they operate in real life?

Donald

Shropshire Lad

Quote from: mr magnolia on November 16, 2017, 06:54:33 AM

Donald
Local services Birmingham to Nottingham and Birmingham to Leicester. They also run Nottingham to Cardiff and Birmingham to Stansted airport services

woodbury22uk

Quote from: Shropshire Lad on November 16, 2017, 08:46:45 AM

Donald
Local services Birmingham to Nottingham and Birmingham to Leicester. They also run Nottingham to Cardiff and Birmingham to Stansted airport services

My wife's only participation in train spotting is when we are standing at Five Ways station and hear a diesel approaching through the tunnel from New Street. What colour will the unit be? Green Class 170 on a London Midland service towards Hereford, or maroon Cross Country on virtually anything else, 170, HST or Voyager. I win most often because I know the timetable better but with Cross Country's punctuality her lack of knowledge sometimes helps!
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Carmont

Donald

Here is a two car example at Stafford, in October 14:

I'm not sure why, but they look sharper on my computer.....

mr magnolia

Interesting stuff, thanks all.

I only ever see 3 car or 6 car units in ScotRail livery. It's funny that I should think that's what a 170 'should' look like!
The only Cross Country service here is the big intercity thing.

Donald

robert shrives

Hi To make a 3 car Adam at Electra does a middle car - which is a close colour match - spare middle cars and chassis bits from BR Lines. The uber costly way is to cut up another XC two car - but at least this gives a chassis for an emu/ dmu kit.
I wonder in new release will have a new running number?

I have fitted tomix working couplers  as on the Dapol 153/156 so now run a 4 car 170. The inner pair fitted have had the side faring removed at the moment pending gluing back on.

cheers
Robert     

Invicta Alec

Talking of 170s ....... I bought a used one that had been converted to DCC. Looks nice, shame it has no lights. I can't figure out how to take the bogies off or release the body for that matter either!

Can anyone help?

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

robert shrives

Hi Body clips in with small lugs, if you have it a few inches above the bench just spread the body using fingernails or 30thou plasticard as finger nails by the doors and catch chassis as it falls out.

If you unscrew the base plate with the engine details and do not loose the tiny screws then, unscrew the little capacitor if fitted - even tinier screws. Laid on its side with screws uppermost undo these and the top half of chassis can be lifted off.  At this point you should see some- 3 spacers left in chassis -these keep the two sides apart. You can see pickups touch on these  and motor brush housings touch as well- for DCC these motor contact spots will be gone and wires to chip soldered to motor, the two screws holding motor block together make useful anchor points for track feeds to chip.

Reassembly needs a clear head ! and two stirrers - use these to lift chassis block off  bench when you try to fit bogies and spacer bits it keeps it all level and makes life a lot easier.  When chassis screwed back together check bogies are free to tip up and down and rotate easily- if not then check pickups are not bent, drive shafts correctly engaged and bogie pivot in correct place.
some times if sides screwed up to tight motor struggles - I think flywheels bind as little clearance backing off half a turn makes all the difference.
Hope that helps
Robert     

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations