I wanna sit by the window!

Started by BROADTRAIN1979, April 09, 2011, 07:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROADTRAIN1979

HEEHOOOHEH..hi me gentle friends..? or maybe me friend  .. :wave: when i was a nipper like i is now  ;)i used to hate it if i couldnt sit by the window on the train >:( and if me sister beat me to it well.... but then dad would smack me legs ooow :'( but usually i was lucky, i just had to have the window... i did give it back to BR when i finished looking out of it at the journeys end  :thumbsup: ;)

point blank

As somebody who works on the railway regularly travelling on trains, my observation is that things change as people get older. As a kid or when travelling with somebody else you want to sit by the window. When travelling alone, a lot of people nowadays take the seat next to the aisle leaving the window seat empty. The reason behind this is that the selfish barstewards don't want anyone to sit next to them and know that 9 out of ten people wont ask them to let them in. On a quiet train this is fine but when people are standing this could be seen as taking the doodah.

The seat I prefare varies but I do like to take the drivers seat, thus letting him/her have a rest at the same time :thumbsup:

cloughie

The seat I prefare varies but I do like to take the drivers seat, thus letting him/her have a rest at the same time

go on PB you is cab happy :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:, as for me, me and my bottom would take up two seats at the best of times ::) :'( :-X
cloughie
am I there yet

jonclox

I guess that I was always lucky  :-\ my parents always got me an apartment of my own and let me lock myself in till we got to where we wanted to go.
I :-\t was great, even if the glass was frosted, I mean it ad its own washing facilites and everything.
The only snag would be that often the coach would get 'swapped between trains' during the journey and I would end up miles from where my parents had gonesed to take days, weeks even to find them again  :'(
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

cloughie

Quote from: jonclox on April 10, 2011, 11:24:43 AM
I guess that I was always lucky  :-\ my parents always got me an apartment of my own and let me lock myself in till we got to where we wanted to go.
I :-\t was great, even if the glass was frosted, I mean it ad its own washing facilites and everything.
The only snag would be that often the coach would get 'swapped between trains' during the journey and I would end up miles from where my parents had gonesed to take days'weks even to find them again  :'(

they di`nt wrap yer butties up in a road map of alaska did thy john ???
am I there yet

moogle

I always wanted to sit by the window. Its the bestest seat after all!  ;D
Unfortunately my little brother or sister got there 1st a lot of the time.  :(
I don't have that problem now. When I go on the train or bus if I can sit by the window I will.  :)
This means that people can sit in the half seat thats left if they wish...  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

tadpole

Window, sure, but preferably just behind the driver in a dmu, so you could see the line ahead, the signals, oncoming trains, etc..

If pushed, I could probably safely drive a BR standard dmmu from birmingham new street to langley green after all the hours I've spent in the front seat on this stretch. I'm on first name terms with all the signals, points, speed limits, gradients, and would know exactly where to start braking for the perfect halt at the 6-car stop marks at smethwick west and langley green.
Two rails good. Three better.

point blank

Quote from: cloughie on April 10, 2011, 10:38:52 AM

go on PB you is cab happy :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:, as for me, me and my bottom would take up two seats at the best of times ::) :'( :-X
cloughie
To be honest you do get fed up of travelling in the cabs. Although I have a cab pass to enable me access to the driving cabs I tend to sit in the saloon more often than not.

Quacker1964

My mate used to always insist on sitting at the very front.  He was quite adamant about it - to the point if he could not, then he would not get on the train and get the next one.

Damn temperamental these drivers ;D

Geoff

Nostalga allways sat at the back of the train so when it went round the bend you could allways see the engine and the trailing steam, oh happy days.
Geoff

Quacker1964

These days I'm happy just to get a seat! - preferably a nice comfy one!  Don't get excited about train travel as I once did when spotting and on rover tickets.  Looking forward to a Manchester Airport trip 30th April - will report back :beers:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations