Dapol Easi Shunt couplers

Started by Jack, March 22, 2014, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

With regard to this dapol system, what sort of minimum speed is needed to ensure they don't uncouple whilst on the move?

Vonzack

Hi ScottyStitch,

As long as the couplings are under tension they shouldn't uncouple at all at any speed.

Cheers, Mark.

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Vonzack on March 25, 2014, 11:17:23 AM
Hi ScottyStitch,

As long as the couplings are under tension they shouldn't uncouple at all at any speed.

Cheers, Mark.

Ok mate, thanks for that

Caz

Thought I'd have another go using the Dapol Easy Shunt couplers and am pleased with the results.  One thing that has annoyed me is the magnet so I had a go at disguising it using some plastic strip as dummy sleepers.

The strips were stuck on using super glue at normal sleeper spacing and then painted to match the original sleepers.  My impatience got the better of me and I installed the test piece before the paint had dried and messed it up a little but will have another go at re-painting tomorrow.

Finally a clip showing the coupler in action.  The manoeuvre was completely controlled by Railroad & Co's Train Controller software with the various options to stop, uncouple etc programmed into the software schedule.

Plastic strip super glued to the magnet.

[smg id=11907]

Sleepers painted to match track

[smg id=11908]

The result in sito at Claywell, I've used a couple of dress making pins to show the location of the magnet as a visible check everything is lining up correctly.  The round shiny item to the left of the Dapol magnet is the electromagnet for use with the now probably redundant B&B couplings

[smg id=11909]

Video of the coupler in action:-

http://youtu.be/pztza9VDiKQ
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

DCCDave

Caz,

That video is excellent!

You've achieved a lot of what I aspire to for my own layout, realistic slow running without resorting to finger prodding and automatic uncoupling. Even your sound fitted Pannier sounds realistic, most steam sound in N gauge is in my opinion rather rubbish. Your video has me reconsidering sound as an option.

Very nicely done sir!

Cheers
Dave

tim-pelican

Really nice work Caz!

How are you getting the positioning that precise?  I'm assuming some kind of 'spot' detector rather than very small sections...

Chatty

Good work Caz.

Kind regards

Geoff
Have you hugged your locomotive today.

Newportnobby

Nice job, Caz :thumbsup:
Have you tried pushing uncoupled wagons to see if they recouple yet?

Caz

Quote from: newportnobby on April 24, 2014, 01:18:17 AM
Nice job, Caz :thumbsup:
Have you tried pushing uncoupled wagons to see if they recouple yet?

Normal recoupling is not a problem but the remote uncoupling is a bit temperamental, with careful adjustment of the pin as Matt suggested does improve it.  It is a fine line between moving the trip pin a little more to the centre and taking it too far so that both couplers then move in the same direction.  I can get it to work on straight track but go anywhere near curves or points and they tend to recouple.

I'll try a do a video tomorrow (busy all day today) of the remote uncoupling.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Caz

For the reply to Tim's query I've moved all the Railroad & Co chat to a new thread in DCC, see http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=21185.0
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

crepello

RM Web is offline today so I'm hoping to get some help on here--must say it took a time to find where to post this!
I've installed (Araldite) a couple of rare earth magnets between the sleepers as per Karhedron's RM Web thread and achieved fairly reliable uncoupling using the (free with locos) long Easi-Shunts on locos and wagons. However, wanting to improve rolling stock appearance, I've found the short version fitted to both doesn't work at all! (same magnets). I saw the photos on here with 6 magnets and wonder if this will do the trick. Any advice would be appreciated.
John.

Cooper

It could be that the uncoupling relys on some side play movement of the coupling. This is reduced in the short shank version. Have you tried the medium length? Or is it that the tail pin on the replacement couplings isn't set up as well as the previous set?  :hmmm:

geoffc

Jack
If you look up coupling reviews/re magnetic coupling/de coupling from Feb 2014 on this forum there is a lot of info there. I fitted my 3mm rare earth magnets in a Z shape, there is a photo of that, I find that the rare earth magnets can be too strong and pull the coupling down and jam it in the sleepers.

Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations