Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisWV10 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Agrafarfan on August 21, 2013, 07:58:54 PM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 21, 2013, 05:52:09 PM
From the picture it looks like it could be N scale but continental loading gauge. Hard to tell without playing "guess the prototype".

What is the actual distance between the wheel flanges ?

Hi,

Just measured it and it's about 10mm between the wheels. I think it's something like a DB br641, Arnold do one like it for about £140 it's something like a diesel rail car.

I was thinking unscrewing the bottom and put some n gauge wheels in. It was a fun buy. :)

10mm would be about 1:144 or thereabouts - would make sense for diecast.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Luke Piewalker

CarriageShed

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 18, 2013, 01:54:13 PM
Th Flatiron and other ABS kits are hard to find because Mr ABS has retired and as far as I know never passed the tools on to anyone else. Great shame really as included some rather nice steam loco kits.

The Flatiron is definitely one I'd like to get my hands on, so it's a real shame it's no longer in production.

Here's the 4-6-2T Prince of Wales from Rails of Sheffield. It's a lovely looking loco, and it works well on a short piece of test track, but I think it needs a proper run in as it was a bit sticky over the Setrack points.

And here's a long-desired LMS 2-8-0 8F that I recently got my hands on, although not the right model to convert into an S&DJR 2-8-0. Never mind. It will certainly do.

Trev

Nice!
Your photos of the Prince of Wales certainly do it more justice than the photo that Sheffield put on Ebay.  Looks a cracker.
Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

CarriageShed

Quote from: Trev on August 23, 2013, 04:24:01 AM
Nice!
Your photos of the Prince of Wales certainly do it more justice than the photo that Sheffield put on Ebay.  Looks a cracker.

Thanks Trev. My camera has a handy macro setting that handles some fantastic close-ups.

The PoW came complete with original box and full assembly instructions, which were great to have. You never know, thanks to this I might even be tempted into kit building my own loco in a couple of years. I love the uniqueness of having a good-looking kit loco (this is my third), although I think this one could do with a few minor cosmetic improvements, like a sprinkling of 'real' coal over the top of the bunker and perhaps a red buffer beam (I need to check on this).

Peter

Trev

What other kits have you got Pete?
I'm the same as you about having unique locos. At the moment I've nearly fiinished an old ex L&Y saddle tank kit that I've had for years plus I've got a Flatiron to build. Again, I've had the for years sat in the tool box.

I've got the same 8F as well but although I've not checked, to me, the wheels look too small.

Whenever I write a letter to someone, I add a footnote briefly explaining Ohm's law. It's my P.S. de resistance.

CarriageShed

These are the other two, an SR Class Z 0-8-0T and an SR 0-4-0 Side Tank. The latter seems to suffer from wheelspinning and is very lightweight in what it can pull, but I've only been able to give it limited testing on a small oval of track. The Class Z seems to be quite powerful, if a little slow and heavy (not surprising given the 0-8-0 chassis!)

I haven't made any kits at all - I've only just returned to the hobby and won't be able to build a layout until next year. For now I'm hunting for bargain locos and rolling stock, mostly on Fleabay, and sometimes spending too much for a 'bargain'!

I hope to make a start on loco work by upgrading some of their detailing, adding 'real' coal loads, new N Brass bogies for the Merchant Navys, etc, and maybe some renumbering, but again it'll have to wait a while.

If you're building your own loco kits, then there's now a dedicated thread to it. Perhaps you could post some photos of your work there?  ;)

EtchedPixels

The bottom one is the Peco B4 on the old 0-4-0 chassis. Quite hard to find and the chassis in working order are very hard to find. Wheelspin seems a bit odd - oil perhaps, or if one wheel is stuck could be split gears ?

Nice little loco if a little dimensionally challenged.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

CarriageShed

Quote from: EtchedPixels on August 23, 2013, 06:20:42 PM
The bottom one is the Peco B4 on the old 0-4-0 chassis. Quite hard to find and the chassis in working order are very hard to find. Wheelspin seems a bit odd - oil perhaps, or if one wheel is stuck could be split gears ?

Nice little loco if a little dimensionally challenged.

I must have been quite lucky with that one. I certainly haven't seen any more of them crop up since I got this in April.

I only managed to give it a quick twenty minutes of test-running on an oval of track in mid-June, and I didn't think of (or know to) look out for sticky wheels. I'll bear it in mind when I can get a more permanent test track assembled in October, and if it still wheelspins, you can be sure I'll come back here for help and advice  ;)

steam-driven boy

Hi,
I mentioned in a previous post the Kirow crane David of bmthtrains 'fame' was about to make available, well:
[smg id=6479]
inevitably, I just couldn't help myself.
Printed by Shapeways, David has his web shop http://modernimagemodels.co.uk/ with links so they can be ordered directly.
David/MIM will be at TINGS with samples of his wares to tempt  ;)
Downloads from his site offer artwork for printing your own windows and transfers, in his case the Balfour Beatty livery, although being an awkward customer I will try a stab at the Colas livery when I'm able:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8433915662_10e7ac04dc_o.jpg
I'm awaiting the set of runner wagons, which Shapeways robots will, no doubt, get sorted promptly  8)

Regards, Gerry.
...being a bear of very little brain...

Ollie3440

New arrival on Sheaf! I picked up my new (Third) Dapol Pannier today. This will be re-numbered to 9600 as preserved at Tyseley :D

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Andy T

No then ollie , That would not be the panniers that i looked at today would it ?
Unfortunately i have to wait for my loco purchase 2 weeks to T.I.N.G.S :)

Ollie3440

Quote from: Andy T on August 24, 2013, 09:01:33 PM
No then ollie , That would not be the panniers that i looked at today would it ?
Unfortunately i have to wait for my loco purchase 2 weeks to T.I.N.G.S :)

It certainly is the one you looked at today. Well my London Transport one was looking a bit lonely on my Vintage Trains stock :P

Ollie

:NGaugersRule:
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Andy T

Ha Ha Ha , I like it but my father wants the BR Black one , Might sneak one on his layout  :D

gc4946

On Saturday I visited the Skipton show and bought from their club stand a used Poole-made Farish DMU and BR 20T brake van.
The Poole DMU has the rare white plastic gears, supposedly more durable than their black versions more commonly used on their diesels.

[smg id=6514]
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations