Virtual N Gauge Show

Started by Rabbitaway, September 21, 2018, 10:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabbitaway

What about the forum running a virtual exhibition show on a regular basis?

The idea is that we select a week every year where forum members showcase their layouts running their favourite stock and post either lots of photos or links to videos.

I would suggest that there are lots of effectively completed layouts not being regularly shown on the forum.

Not sure if this idea has been suggested before

Any supporters for a virtual show?

Dorsetmike

Alternatively maybe have a "layout of the week/month"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

koyli55002

I think the virtual show would be the better option - many members (myself included) may be reluctant to submit their efforts for "layout of the month" - being of the belief that their efforts do not compare well with others.

railsquid

Quote from: koyli55002 on September 22, 2018, 06:17:35 AM
I think the virtual show would be the better option - many members (myself included) may be reluctant to submit their efforts for "layout of the month" - being of the belief that their efforts do not compare well with others.

Yup, I think that would be a better option to see a wide variety of stuff, otherwise we'll end up seeing the same (very good) layouts we've all seen before.

Personally, though my layout is far from complete, I could e.g. easily put together a showcase of Japanese trains.

Chris Morris

Surely this forum is already a virtual model railway exhibition. All members have to do is create a new topic and post a few photos of their layout. They could also make a video , post it on youtube, and put a link on here. I don't like the idea of a specific week because some people will be away and miss the chance to post while viewers will find there is too much all at once. At the moment there is a steady flow of photos of layouts which is great.

I post about my layouts under layout construction even though both are finished layouts. Maybe all it needs is a new section called virtual exhibition?
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

port perran

I quite like the idea.
The forum is already a virtual exhibition but the photos and videos of layouts are scattered throughout it.
Anyone looking for inspiration would find it hard to browse layouts.
I know that the gallery goes some way towards this but a dedicated thread would, in my opinion, work better.

My idea would be for an Inspirations Section where members can post a few photos of their layouts so that members can scroll through.
I'd suggest limiting it to 4 photos and one video (maybe no longer than 60 seconds) per layout. That way visitors don't get bogged down with loads of photos of individual models.
I think this could act as a real showcase for the forum.

Realising that some members are more into locomotives and stock rather than layouts, we could have a similar thread for those.
Or even for buildings and infrastructure items (especially if scratch built).
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

This is an interesting suggestion. I quite like the idea, and we'll have a look at it.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

willike1958

As my layout is too big to be humped around to different venues by a single exhibitor, I was thinking about have running sessions that could be live streamed on the internet. I've not looked into the technicalities of this and would be interested to learn of anyone's experience of doing it. I suppose such a project would fall into the framework of a virtual show.
Kevin

Mito

A good idea that needs to be well thought out.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Rabbitaway

Seem to have a positive response to the idea

We don't appear to have a "go to" place on the forum to showcase complete or substantially complete layouts with regular running operations. Also like the idea of a section showing stock in operation so members with a specific interest in stock and less in the scenic aspests can also showcase.

We need to ensure this is inclusive so members no matter how advanced their modelling skills feel they can show their work, therefore this should not be some sort if competition

Thanks

emjaybee

I like this idea. I'm constantly looking around for ideas, inspiration and examples.

For my two-penneth worth I'd like to add that anyone posting pics/videos add in their layout thread/website links so people can ask questions there, and that people are discouraged from commenting/asking questions on the 'picture/video' thread to prevent it becoming bogged down.

Thanks can be granted in the usual manner via the 'Thank You' button leaving the thread uncluttered (in the nicest possible way).

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Mustermark

I like the idea too.
The forum, quite rightly, seems to be an excellent place to post progress and get tips and advice. And to find out about forthcoming releases!
But it would be relly good to have a bit more of the finished article being shown off to inspire us, and give us the impetus to keep going with our own creations.
There's nothing like an exhibition with a layout or two that makes you want to emulate that at home... I'm sure that could happen more here too.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

rogerdB

Quote from: emjaybee on September 23, 2018, 03:48:49 PM
For my two-penneth worth I'd like to add that anyone posting pics/videos add in their layout thread/website links so people can ask questions there, and that people are discouraged from commenting/asking questions on the 'picture/video' thread to prevent it becoming bogged down.

Thanks can be granted in the usual manner via the 'Thank You' button leaving the thread uncluttered (in the nicest possible way).

I think the point about keeping the thread uncluttered is important. My own preference would be for a whole new 'Showcase' category with each contributor able to create their own thread. Is there a way of locking a thread so that only the originator can edit it? That would ensure that no comments can bloat it. Having individual threads would mean that visitors can pick and chose what they want to view and don't have to scroll through stuff that doesn't interest them. Having working Thank You buttons and including a link to a related construction thread are also good ideas.

Bealman

We are currently looking at this. I have already suggested to the team that it would have to be locked in some way so it remained an uncluttered showcase.

We're looking at it!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mustermark

Showcase - I like it. Cheers to the team for working on it.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations