engineers' sidings

Started by bluedepot, September 05, 2018, 07:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

has anyone modelled some engineers sidings?

what would be the main features?

I am thinking of having just 3 or 4 x 1 meter sidings off the main line, plus a 1m headshunt. so not very large. the era is 1980 to 1995. I'm not sure if in reality most small sites (apart from in very isolated locations) would have closed by then and centralised into big yards?

apart from a pile of new ballast, a loader, a portacabin, spoil dump, removed track components, piles of sleepers, some parked br or staff vehicles, road access track.... what else would be there?

I have looked around online at some pictures for ideas already but not found that much of use...

also, keeping in mind limited space / cost, is there a more realistic track plan for a small engineers sidings complex anyone could suggest?

thanks in advance for any help!

Tim

crewearpley40

point rodding

point levers

groundframe levers

signals

shunting signals

platelayers hut

weeds

disused oil drum / wiring

some working lights

buffer stops

albeit a few things spring to my mind

scottishlocos

Tim

Try Slateford depot and Rutherglen yard as examples of small engineers sidings/yards.

Some of the had a small shed for repairing track machines and or wagons

Dave

voltan

Penrith station on the WCML has a small yard,I think it's more for works access rather than anything major. it's only 3 sidings and if you look at it on google earth it sort of shows you the layout of the things that're there.

voltan

Strangely there's a good view across the railway of the yard from the back of the Aldi store using streetview.

bluedepot

thanks for suggestions dave. i looked at some pics of those locations. some on scot-rail site. what struck me most of all was the amount of stuff everywhere! I can see that I will need a lot of construction materials and track components to place all over the ground in kind of grouped together piles.

crewear - cheers for the list. I just noticed platelayers hut and lighting on pics online too. all the things you list i can definitely add ... apart from point rodding as I'm not going down that road!!

if anyone can suggest other locations or online pictures that are good that would be a great help.

Voltan - thanks.. off to look at penrith now!

Cheers

Tim

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations