VARI-GIRDER PLATE GIRDER PANELS

Started by Mr Sprue, September 01, 2018, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Sprue

Just a little market research! From what I can see no one seems to produce this type of bridge section for N like Track Shack sells for 00

So if you were building a layout would a bridge like this be something that would appeal to you if a kit was available ?

martyn

RailGooner

What are you thinking, brass etch, wood laser, resin, 3D print?

Phoenix

:hellosign:

That is exactly what I was looking for to use on "Windmill Hill", so if a kit was available I would certainly have used one . After fruitless searching, I had to make one using the Peco sides, and brick embossed plasticard.

To give the impression it goes somewhere, I put a mirror at the back. (The telephone box is only half of one). ;)

This is how I made it .....

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39207.msg473164#msg473164

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

PS Anyone entering my comp will find that photo useful  ;)

PeteW

Quote from: Mr Sprue on September 01, 2018, 09:48:56 PM
Just a little market research! From what I can see no one seems to produce this type of bridge section for N like Track Shack sells for 00

So if you were building a layout would a bridge like this be something that would appeal to you if a kit was available ?

I believe Gaugemaster sell a number of similar bridges by Atlas in N Gauge, and Kato also have a couple. There's also a download and print card kit from modelrailwayscenery here:
http://www.modelrailwayscenery.com/2014/07/double-track-girder-bridge-oo4mm176/
It is OO but since it's a PDF, you could easily scale it to N.

But regardless of all that, yes, I'd like to see a new kit. More options are always welcome.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: RailGooner on September 01, 2018, 10:06:38 PM
What are you thinking, brass etch, wood laser, resin, 3D print?

Non of the above, the parts would be moulded in Polystyrene.

Southerngooner

I could do with loads, particularly if they could be adjusted for overall length. Modelling South London means lots of viaducts and bridges, so anything to cut down the amount of scratch building would be very welcome!
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Southerngooner on September 02, 2018, 07:25:20 PM
I could do with loads, particularly if they could be adjusted for overall length. Modelling South London means lots of viaducts and bridges, so anything to cut down the amount of scratch building would be very welcome!

Which do you think would be the most popular girder design to make?

Southerngooner

If you look at the picture you posted you have the main structural girders supporting the railway coupled with steel side panels which would act as protection from falls for anyone walking on the bridge. If you made the two as separate items you would have a lot of flexibility. It depends whether you want to model an older girder, fixed together with rivets (very numerous as most bridges were built in the earlier years of railways) or later welded examples, which tend to follow the same form but are more "clean". I would say a girder of the same sort of height as the Peco one would be a good compromise in terms of depth (the girders would get deeper as the span got larger generally) and with similar strengthener centres. However, if you made it a constant height (the Peco one tapers down at each end which limits its capacity for extension) and had separate end pieces (unlike the Peco one where they are built in) you could extend or reduce the girder as necessary to suit the span required. If you made the top and bottom flanges one size and then provided additional strips to increase the thickness as required it would be very adaptable.

If you don't understand some of the technical terms let me know and I'll try to find a drawing to show what I mean. As a Civil Engineer these terms just come naturally to me!

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations