Union Mills Convert

Started by Old Crow, April 28, 2018, 10:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

Having heard how good these locos were I bought one, used, a few months back and had many troubles with it. Turned out it was 12 years old and badly needed a service. A major annoyance was derailing on points that turned out to be an issue with over gauge wheels on the motor-tender, causing it to climb frogs. Once sorted it performs superbly and has the most excellent slow-speed performance. So I've bought another which performs equally well. I really do love the weight and tractive effort of these locos and they are quite well enough detailed for me.
Now I want to know what a new one is like!

broadsword

I have three, all bought new from the maker, last one was a Dean Goods,
7-8 monthe ago, runs really well, good pulling power and smooth slow
speed running, doesn't have trouble with frogs. Were yours a bargain ?
Often prices of s/h ones are almost as high as buying new, I think I would
only buy a used one if it was less than half the new cost, or if it was a
class no longer available.

ajc

I bought a secondhand Union Mills ex Midland Railway Class 2P 4-4-0 locomotive LMS Black livery for around half price from the club shop at Orpington & District Model Railway Club Exhibition in the Village Hall Pratts Bottom in January. It was shown running before I purchased it and it is an excellent performer. They also had a Crimson one but I wasn't sure about the colour.

Tonye

:hellosign: I have eleven UMs , and all bought from Colin Heard. They run really well straight from the box. The only issue I have encountered was down to lack of use. I just love the performance which is needed when exhibiting my layout.
Tony .H

Train Waiting

Quote from: Old Crow on April 28, 2018, 10:41:38 PM
Having heard how good these locos were I bought one, used, a few months back and had many troubles with it. Turned out it was 12 years old and badly needed a service. A major annoyance was derailing on points that turned out to be an issue with over gauge wheels on the motor-tender, causing it to climb frogs. Once sorted it performs superbly and has the most excellent slow-speed performance. So I've bought another which performs equally well. I really do love the weight and tractive effort of these locos and they are quite well enough detailed for me.
Now I want to know what a new one is like!

I'm delighted that it has all worked out so well for you and that you have joined the very happy band of Union Mills enthusiasts.  It'll be difficult to resist another one!

Quote from: ajc on April 29, 2018, 07:08:22 AM
I bought a secondhand Union Mills ex Midland Railway Class 2P 4-4-0 locomotive LMS Black livery for around half price from the club shop at Orpington & District Model Railway Club Exhibition in the Village Hall Pratts Bottom in January. It was shown running before I purchased it and it is an excellent performer. They also had a Crimson one but I wasn't sure about the colour.

The LMS '2P' class were lined black pre-War but the crimson lake livery is gorgeous.  My willpower was less than yours and I have one.  It's a bit of a favourite, to be honest...

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Shiney Sheff

I too have several UM loco's and all except one are brilliant runners, the rouge one was a second hand "bargain" the motor was the problem, so I phoned Colin and I had a new one ready to install within a couple of days, fantastic service.

I would love to know, how do you get in the "know" about what and when his new models are released.

Bob

danmk1

Modeling the Southern region in the late 30's I have a number of his locos and find they are lovely runner's, even after my ham fisted efforts at converting them to DCC, and enjoy adding extra detailing bits.

Have to agree about Colin's customer service. I too had a problem with a motor and a replacement was very quickly sent.

Quote from: Shiney Sheff on April 29, 2018, 09:33:26 AM
I too have several UM loco's and all except one are brilliant runners, the rouge one was a second hand "bargain" the motor was the problem, so I phoned Colin and I had a new one ready to install within a couple of days, fantastic service.

I would love to know, how do you get in the "know" about what and when his new models are released.

Bob

I've found the best place for any announcements regarding his new models and stock list's can be found in this forum section:  http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=75.0

Do wonder at times if he ever look's to see how much the second hand loco's sell for on ebay, but guess its good that he might not as he may then increase the price.
My layout build: Bordon Light Railway http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39031.0

Bealman

I'd think that he is getting satisfaction out of producing great models, and reading the great reviews.

Satisfied customers and word of mouth is the best advertising!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

I just have the one UM, a  B12 which I fancied as I loved my Triang B12 back in the 70s. It was less than half price on ebay as a non-runner.  It just needed the wire from the tender re-attaching to the loco chassis (ie. tighten a screw!) and away it went. Bargain!

Hmm... I should have dusted it down before taking this photo

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Bealman

Love it!  :thumbsup:

That Triang B12 was my favourite too.

And that was the sixties!  :beers:

Your model looks great to me.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daveg

My sole UM T9, beautifully enhanced by the talented @ozymandias

Lovely!

Dave G

Dorsetmike

I have 5, 0395, 2x 700, LMS 2p and a T9 which I hacked to tha narrow cab version with a Fleschman 8 wheel tender drive under a Langley S15 tender (see my sig below) I've also used 4 of the tender drives, to power Drummond K10, Adams A12 and 2 BHE N15 tenders (with an extra pair of wheels)
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Newportnobby

As a few G2 0-8-0 tender locos were based at Bletchley in the 50s/early 60s I could potentially use one across the Varsity line to Oxford with a freight train. Does anyone know if Colin does a black late crest version or, if not, could he number and rebadge to order?

Les1952

I have quite a few UM locos, all upgraded by adding a few detail items to the tenders, or in the case of NER types swapping the tender for a smaller one then adding detail.

Most are converted to DCC, and some of these have run very high mileage.

However I am starting to discover you can wear them out.  I now have three with dead motors- I must contact Colin about replacement motors as they are all DCC fitted.  Of these 65860 did six shows in LNER analogue guise on the late Trevor Webster's "Parnhams" and had done 12 shows on Hawthorn Dene in DCC BR guise after Parnhams was sold.  As each loco on either of these layouts ran a little under a mile in the course of a show day that means it probably ran the best part of of 10 miles analogue and 15 to 20 more after DCC fitting.  Total at least 25 miles and maybe as many as 30-35. The other two were also well into double figures of miles before failure.

I'll have to see if Colin will supply the motors as spares, rather than buying new tenders just for the motor. The old tender tops have been milled to make room for a chip so I'll have to reuse these.

Les

Train Waiting

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 29, 2018, 05:02:35 PM
As a few G2 0-8-0 tender locos were based at Bletchley in the 50s/early 60s I could potentially use one across the Varsity line to Oxford with a freight train. Does anyone know if Colin does a black late crest version or, if not, could he number and rebadge to order?

Mick, as far as I'm aware, Union Mills BR liveries are the early emblem.  Colin says he doesn't do 'specials', but he might sell you an undecorated one when he next does a batch of them if you request it.  I have one, in LMS livery, as is my preference, and it's a good 'un.

All the very best.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations