!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Nelevation and Kato Unitrack  (Read 342 times)

Offline andyt55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27001
    • Awards
Nelevation and Kato Unitrack
« on: April 15, 2018, 05:05:51 pm »
I saw the Nelevation vertical fiddle yard at the Alexander Palace show and was most impressed (but not with the price!).  But it would save me having to store half of my trains in a drawer.

According to the Nelevation web site they use Peco Code 55 for their track and there should be a 2mm gap between my track and the Nelevator track.  My question is, how do I convert from Unitrack Code 80 to Peco Code 55?  My first idea is to buy a couple of 20-045 Snap Track Conversion Track packs and some Peco 55 straight track and cut short straights to use as an interface.  I may have to do some packing and filing of the rails to get the heights right.

Has anyone any experience of joining Unitrack to Peco 55 and even an Nelevation?

Andy

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Nelevation and Kato Unitrack
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 05:16:21 pm »
I might be talking out of my rear end but could you not use Peco code 80 in the Nelevator?
@georgehgv

Offline andyt55

• N Gauge Society Number: 27001
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 05:20:07 pm »
I m[/i]ight be talking out of my rear end but could you not use Peco code 80 in the Nelevator?
@georgehgv

Unfortunately not.  To quote from the FAQ on the web site:

The Nelevator has been designed to take Peco Flexitrack code 55 for the N gauge version. Unfortunately however, this is not easy to change to accept alternative tracks as different custom aluminium extrusions would have to be produced, at further expense. Furthermore, introducing different track dimensions into the equation other than those the Nelevator was designed for may introduce alignment issues into the system.

Andy

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:40:23 pm »
You don't need conversion track to go from Kato to Peco track (the converters are actually from Kato to Tomix track). You can slot Peco track straight onto Kato fishplates (or use peco fishplates).

So all you need to do is have a short section of Code 55 track from your Kato line running to each side of the Nelevator. (Code 55 rail is the same height as Code 80, but recessed into the sleepers more to look lower profile ;) )

Offline Ali Smith

• 2mm Association Number: 4281
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 05:41:23 pm »
I did what Andy suggested and it works just fine. A Nelevator does sound expensive but think how much it would cost to build a 20 track yard double ended yard with points and it doesn't seem so bad. It also takes up a lot less room.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:32:44 pm »
OK so the trackwork in the moving parts of the Nelevator is Peco 55. The question is does the Nelevator come with short lengths of matching code 55 either side to align with the moving parts or are you expected to provide track to butt up to the very edge (which would imply the need for the 2mm gap)? 

I would imagine it's not the rail code difference that's the problem, it's the overall height from base of sleeper moulding to the top of the rail, and the sleeper width, that must match if the run-up tracks have to sit in the same type of aluminium extrusion to ensure accurate alignment. The obvious solution is to use a short length of code 55. As has been mentioned it's not difficult to join different codes and brands of rail.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 06:33:48 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Chetcombe

• N Gauge Society Number: 21564
    • YouTube
    • Chetcombe on YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 09:11:36 pm »
OK so the trackwork in the moving parts of the Nelevator is Peco 55. The question is does the Nelevator come with short lengths of matching code 55 either side to align with the moving parts or are you expected to provide track to butt up to the very edge (which would imply the need for the 2mm gap)? 

I would imagine it's not the rail code difference that's the problem, it's the overall height from base of sleeper moulding to the top of the rail, and the sleeper width, that must match if the run-up tracks have to sit in the same type of aluminium extrusion to ensure accurate alignment. The obvious solution is to use a short length of code 55. As has been mentioned it's not difficult to join different codes and brands of rail.

That's my plan - a small section of code 55 track joined (in my case) to Peco Code 80. Unfortunately the Nelevator isn't being shipped overseas yet, so I have been waiting a while for mine :( Thankfully it will replace an existing fiddle yard, so it is not like I have a big hole in my baseboard waiting to be filled!

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:41:26 pm »
You don't need conversion track to go from Kato to Peco track (the converters are actually from Kato to Tomix track). You can slot Peco track straight onto Kato fishplates (or use peco fishplates).

So all you need to do is have a short section of Code 55 track from your Kato line running to each side of the Nelevator. (Code 55 rail is the same height as Code 80, but recessed into the sleepers more to look lower profile ;) )

or there is a neat Kato conversion track piece 20-045

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25575.msg382079;topicseen#msg382079

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/20045-snap-track-conversion-track-p-282.html

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:55:23 am »

or there is a neat Kato conversion track piece 20-045

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25575.msg382079;topicseen#msg382079

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/20045-snap-track-conversion-track-p-282.html

Yup that’s the one intended for Kato to Tomix track. The problem with trying to use it to go to Peco track is that the rail on the conversion track has a sticky out bump that makes it difficult to put a fishplate on. So it’s easier to just connect to the bare ends of a normal kato track section and support the peco track with cork or similar underneath.

Personally I solder the joins where I’m going peco-kato to make them more secure.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything