!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Renumbering  (Read 199 times)

Offline kirky

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 18171
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Renumbering
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:34:03 pm »
Hi Folks
I've done a search and there isnt a massive amount on renumbering locos on the forum. I think that is surprising because it shouldn't be that difficult to renumber a loco.
I have a number of questions people may wish to ignore or dip into at your leisure;

1) Do you bother to renumber N gauge locos or are the numbers too small to be bothered with?

2) Do you have a preferred method for removal of numbers? What is it?

3) Do you repaint before application of new number?

4) Do you find one manufacturer more of a problem than another? Do you have a particular preference of manufacturer that you find easier to renumber?

5) Which transfers do you prefer to use?

6) Do you fix the transfers? What method?

7) Do you usually weathered a renumbered loco?

8 Do you bother to renumber wagons/passenegr stock? Please feel free to supply details.

:photospleasesign: Please show us your renumbered locos and/or stock.

Thanks
Kirky
Northallerton is making its next appearance is at RailEx NE North Shields, 28th/29th July 2018.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Offline LeftToMyOwnDevices

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25806
  • …and left to my own devices... I probably would...
    • Awards
Re: Renumbering
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:41:23 pm »
I wonder if someone might care to write something up on this in the Tutorial section…?

I have also wondered the same things as I have a ‘shed-load’ (quite literally! ;D) of Dapol 86s, Farish 87s and 90s to renumber and/or repaint into a different livery.

When I read something about using T-Cut on Dapol locos (or was it Farish and not Dapol? :worried:), I went up to my local Halfords – only to get totally bamboozled by all the myriad versions of T-Cut… :(

…so I walked out empty-handed and much confused. ???

What would be useful is:

“When removing numbers – use ……… on Dapol but ……… on Farish.”

In my ‘yoof’ I did repaint a few Farish diesels and a Lima electric (guess which one!) into Triple Grey Railfreight – but this was simply by over-painting, with a brush… :o

I got hold of some waterslide transfers and achieved a reasonable result – but I now realise I should have stripped off the paint, then used an airbrush (which is something I now have, bought a year ago…).

Look forward to hearing the from the ‘Masters’, perhaps when they’ve finished packing all those Pendolinos…! ;)

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:32 pm »
1) Do you bother to renumber N gauge locos or are the numbers too small to be bothered with?
I do renumber locomotives, and have done so to about half my stock.

IPA and a toothpick or Q-tip, gently wiping until the numbers come off.

Yes; gloss varnish where the transfer is going to go. Helps to create a nice smooth surface, so there's less 'silvering' behind the transfer. I use Micro Set to help get the transfers nice and flat.

4) Do you find one manufacturer more of a problem than another? Do you have a particular preference of manufacturer that you find easier to renumber?
I like Precision Decals waterslide transfers. Had good results with them.

Definitely waterslide! But I do buy lots of duplicates, because fewer than half will be exactly right by the time they've dried out. Precision are generous, and will provide duplicates at little/no extra cost if you ask.

See above re: Micro Set. Also put matt varnish on top when finished.

Yes! Why bother otherwise? If you're going to renumber a loco, it's not going to be 'mint condition' so far as collectibility goes, so you may as well make some effort to add a layer of realism. Besides, a little weathering can be useful for hiding any slight flaws!  ;)

8 Do you bother to renumber wagons/passenegr stock? Please feel free to supply details.
Nope. But I do use transfers on kits, sometimes indiscriminately. I bought some transfers for HAA hoppers, but happily use the black data panels on other types of wagon too.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:14 pm »
I quite like Jubilee loco's, but Farish haven't done the new tooling in lined LMS black.

My modelling skills are reasonable, but are by no means good enough to tackle a full loco repaint.

Fortunately, there's a guy on this forum ( @Ozymandias ) who is an absolute genius at repaints, renumbering and lining so he has done one Jubilee for me, he has a Black 5 for renumbering and three more Jubilees for repaints. It pays to be patient as he has a busy life, but the results are like a factory paint job.

There are also a few commercial companies out there who will repaint and weather if you're not up to it.

So there are options available.

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 07:52:25 pm »

Yes - gives options of different prototypes and (perhaps more importantly) makes your model unique

Farish tampo printing is easy to get off - back (blunt end) of a scalpel blade, gently chip them off and clean up with some white spirit. Dapol harder and can need some t-cut.

No - the aim is to preserve the underlying original paint.

Fox.

Generally if the base surface is very matt then I'd gloss it up either with a gloss paint, or often a tiny goign over with t-cut in the number area will polish the underlying paint to a good gloss ready for decal application.

After decalling, finish with appropriate varnish to match the rest of the loco to seal. Paint this up to an edge or line so there's no visible paint discrepancy.

Sometimes:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything