!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Farish NCB J94 "Robert"  (Read 315 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Farish NCB J94 "Robert"
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
I recently managed to buy a body shell for the Farish NCB J94 "Robert". This model was originally sold in a set with a couple of coal wagons and a brake van. Here's a similar complete example Hattons were offering recently:

It's an attractive model, but the shiny buffers, thick bodywork and odd rear windows are accentuated by the light coloured livery,  making it more toy-like than other Farish examples.

I wanted to see whether I could improve one, but without damaging the very fine lining and other markings. I began by looking for prototype photographs. Whilst Google and Bing often strike lucky, Flickr is a real treasure trove. Unfortunately its search facilities are poor, but you can get Google to search Flickr quite easily. Here's what I typed into Google:

site=flickr.com ncb j94 robert

This quickly led me to the excellent website of the 8D Association dedicated to steam in the North West of England, including a section on Bold Colliery, where "Robert", and stable-mate "Whiston" were based.There are several colour pictures of each loco in service which gave me several pointers about Robert, including:

- It carried standard, not oversize buffers.

- The dome, firebox, subframe and steps were painted black

- The wheels were painted green with red centres

So, I carried out my previous window treatment.

Preserving the existing paintwork wherever I could, I needed to paint the cab back sheet, the wheels and touch up some blemishes on the bunker. I couldn't find an exact match, so lightened some Humbrol RC408 Apple Green with a little thinned matt white, which came close.

I used some left-over home made decals to line the bunker and tank front.

Repainting the cab interior gloss black, as on a previous J94 gives the bodywork a thinner appearence around windows and the doorway.

Here's the final draft result, lightly weathered and stabled next to Diana and NCB No.8. Like those two its windows will be glazed and the 'coal' replaced with the real thing:

Not a detailed scale model in the class of Dr Al's exhibition standard J94 but I feel a worthwhile improvement on the original.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:18:32 am by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
Re: Farish NCB J94 "Robert"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 01:02:21 pm »
Ok, that's about it for this little project:

I mentioned that I bought the body shell seperately. It's mounted on a Grafar Class 08 chassis which causes the interesting side effect that the loco runs the opposite way to my other J94s. I assume the bottom plates are different so that "nose first" running is consistent across loco types.

Shan't be double heading with this one then!

The elderly chassis (Ring and U-bend couplings) appeared never to have been oiled, so I gave it a complete service following Hyperion's procedure. Several half-hour on half-power runs in each direction, and both ways around, got it running smoothly.

To accommodate modern T-bar and Spring couplings, I simply carved off the round lug at each end of the chassis base plate and discarded the third retaining bolt.

I added longer couplings to allow the loco to push and pull things around tight corners. A little rounding off of the T-bar ends allows these to function well in the older round chassis mount.

Overall a satisfying little project to nudge a very old loco along the spectrum from toy to model!

Mike

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:52:51 am by maridunian »

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 01:27:01 pm »
I mentioned that I bought the body shell seperately. It's mounted on a Grafar Class 08 chassis which causes the interesting side effect in that the loco runs the opposite way to my other J94s. I assume the bottom plates are different so that "nose first" running is consistent across loco types.

The 08 chassis is identical, so the magnet on the top of the chassis in one of the locos must be reversed - it's trivial to turn this around.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:35:17 pm »
I mentioned that I bought the body shell seperately. It's mounted on a Grafar Class 08 chassis which causes the interesting side effect in that the loco runs the opposite way to my other J94s. I assume the bottom plates are different so that "nose first" running is consistent across loco types.

The 08 chassis is identical, so the magnet on the top of the chassis in one of the locos must be reversed - it's trivial to turn this around.

Cheers,
Alan

Thank you Alan. I was mulling drilling out the rivet in the baseplate to reverse the pickups!

Mike

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 01:36:30 pm »
Thank you Alan. I was mulling drilling out the rivet in the baseplate to reverse the pickups!

No, never do that!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here