Dapol Overhead Masts Query

Started by SteveB1510, April 09, 2018, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB1510

Hi everyone, I'm still fairly new to the forum (not to mention n gauge) and a first time poster, so hopefully the following makes sense.  I'm looking for some info/advice about the Dapol overhead masts & running UK electric locos with pantographs raised underneath them safely.  I've got a handful of Dapol Class 86s, but noticed that the pantographs on the initial batch of these locos are different & don't raise very high from the loco roof compared with the (Bracknell Willis?) pantograph on the more recent models and also the pantograph fitted to the Graham Farish Class 87 & 350 EMU and, from what I can tell, those fitted to the Revolution Trains Pendolino etc.  I'm considering buying some of the packs of extra newer pantographs Dapol released to fit to the older class 86s to make them look a little better & properly raised, however upon doing some research of other layouts with these overhead masts fitted on YouTube etc, it now looks like the newer pantographs (along with those fitted to the GF models) are actually then too high when raised to run safely under the Dapol masts without fouling each other and a lot of folk tend to just run the models with the pantographs down or very very low?  Just wondering if this is actually the case with the Dapol pantographs before I potentially buy some, or if it's only really an issue with the GF ones?

Thanks,

Steve

crewearpley40

hi steve

check :

[url=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14940-dapol-catenarywhich may help plus c and m models.co.ukbit review on the class 86 panto
which may give a hint

njee20

Later Dapol pans aren't sprung, they do both Stone Faiveley and Brecknell Willis high speed, and you get one of each in a blister pack. They're posable, such that you just raise them to the height you wish (ie below the height of your masts!).

The Farish 350 has a sprung pantograph, designed to ride on a wire, otherwise it'll just raise to full height, which is far higher than the Dapol masts, and the first time you go round it'll just rip the registration arms on the mast off. That's experience talking...

The Pendolinos, like later 86s use posable pans.

SteveB1510

Quote from: njee20 on April 09, 2018, 08:21:58 PM
Later Dapol pans aren't sprung, they do both Stone Faiveley and Brecknell Willis high speed, and you get one of each in a blister pack. They're posable, such that you just raise them to the height you wish (ie below the height of your masts!).

The Farish 350 has a sprung pantograph, designed to ride on a wire, otherwise it'll just raise to full height, which is far higher than the Dapol masts, and the first time you go round it'll just rip the registration arms on the mast off. That's experience talking...

The Pendolinos, like later 86s use posable pans.

Thanks njee20.  I think I'll definitely try to get a couple of the packs for the rest of my 86s if nothing else.  Interesting you mention that the GF pantograph is also sprung as I wasn't sure if mines was or not.  I suspect it might just be a bit stiff though, so I'll bare that in might that it's probably safer to keep it down (or held down) to be safe.

Steve

njee20

Yes, the 350 pantograph is made by Sommerfeldt, and is nothing like the BWHS one it should have!

The Revolution offering on the Pendolino looks great, the Dapol BWHS is far too long for some reason, but better than the stock Farish one.

PostModN66

The pan on the 87 is fixed on the same principle as that on the 86, secured with a single screw, so it should be possible to replace it with a different one without too much trouble.

There seem to be three types of sprung pan on the British market, all made by Somerfeldt as far as I know;

The type on the class 87, 90 and 91, which is quite chunky with a brass coloured head
The type on the 350 and the CJM 92 which is somewhat finer and flimsier
The type on the Dapol 86 (originally) which has the X shaped (roughly) suspension beams.

All can be used to ride the wire; but I have replaced the springs with lengths of EZ Line to give them a softer action. If you replace the Dapol pans don't discard them; some people (e.g. me) value them.   I value prototype operation (riding the wire) more highly than prototype appearance (though of course it would be nice to have both!)

Cheers Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

crewearpley40

sorry family matter to sort

it might be worthwhile replacing the pantograph on the original Dapol Class 86s with the newer ones

be honest i would go with this advice is what i mean had i not had to rush to an emergency. good luck but i wont re write jons advice and comments its what im thinking too

SteveB1510

Thanks everyone for the replies & information.  I've decided to order a couple of packs of the Dapol pantographs to at least upgrade my older class 86s.  I'll ponder my options with what to do with the GF class 87 & 350 in due course.

Thanks, Steve

crewearpley40

i would go with what is suiting you. im tinkering with catenary and as sorting it i use my old 81 and 86 with a class 47 perhaps and idea for a diverted sunday service or a drag during engineering

njee20

Quote from: SteveB1510 on April 10, 2018, 08:26:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies & information.  I've decided to order a couple of packs of the Dapol pantographs to at least upgrade my older class 86s.  I'll ponder my options with what to do with the GF class 87 & 350 in due course.

Depending on how much of a stickler you are you can shorten the arms on the Dapol Brecknell Willis pantograph, which makes it look a fair bit better. Not that I've ever got around to it!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations