!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New member. Starting out in n gauge  (Read 526 times)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: New member. Starting out in n gauge
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:15 pm »
Welcome to the forum Cumbrian.

I must say that I've bought two locomotives and a fair few wagons from evilbay and never had a problem.  At the risk of teaching your Granny how to suck eggs, if the seller has less than a 99% rating (the 1% is usually an idiot customer) I'd avoid them and look somewhere else.  Just my personal experience.

Graham, wondering why you would actually suck an egg.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Online Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 11:20:41 pm »
Welcome to the forum Cumbrian.

I must say that I've bought two locomotives and a fair few wagons from evilbay and never had a problem.  At the risk of teaching your Granny how to suck eggs, if the seller has less than a 99% rating (the 1% is usually an idiot customer) I'd avoid them and look somewhere else.  Just my personal experience.

Graham, wondering why you would actually suck an egg.
I'm always as careful as I can be with ebay purchases, and the seller did have a 99% rating with one negative rating saying an item had visual defects that weren't described but I thought I'd be ok. In this case I can only think the seller had two of these controllers and sent the wrong one. It's the only reason I can think of for having a picture in the listing that was clearly not a picture of the controller I received. When comparing the two it's like a spot the difference competition, there are at least 8 differences on the front of the controller alone, the paint splat being by far the most obvious. I just hope the seller doesn't try that 'you've sent a different one back to me' business!

Online Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 04:22:20 pm »
What a great introduction to the hobby I'm having! Gaugemaster controller came this morning along with a 2nd hand grafar class 47 from another ebay purchase. Knocked up a little oval test track, connected controller, put 47 on track and.....nothing. Not even a noise from it! Voltage is getting to all parts of track (tested everywhere with multimeter) but this thing won't even give me a hint it wants to move. Does anyone know if you should be able to turn the wheels by rubbing your thumb across them? As they won't move no matter how hard I try. Gutted!

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 10:21:04 pm »
Cumbrian you cant turn the wheels because of the gearing  in fact DONT TRY as you can actually damage the gears ,I would suggest you look for a local club that have a good N gauge section as not all clubs have N gauge or Im sure that if there is a  member here who lives nearby they will be able to help you out .Perhaps if you posted s very clear  photo of the loco chassis at least someone will know what version you have and then perhaps offer some advice  .We have some real experts on here too many to mention .
I hope you do get everything sorted out  and end up with a hobby you and your son can enjoy together ,dont be put off by your bad experience so far .
Bob Tidbury

Online Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 11:16:53 pm »
Cumbrian you cant turn the wheels because of the gearing  in fact DONT TRY as you can actually damage the gears ,I would suggest you look for a local club that have a good N gauge section as not all clubs have N gauge or Im sure that if there is a  member here who lives nearby they will be able to help you out .Perhaps if you posted s very clear  photo of the loco chassis at least someone will know what version you have and then perhaps offer some advice  .We have some real experts on here too many to mention .
I hope you do get everything sorted out  and end up with a hobby you and your son can enjoy together ,dont be put off by your bad experience so far .
Bob Tidbury
I couldn't get much grip with my thumb anyway so I won't have put too much pressure on the gearing. I posted my problem in the surgery section too and the upshot of the help over there means it's going back to the seller for a refund as it's had it. I managed to get the motor to spin slightly a couple of times during testing and it may be possible to get it back to life but I ain't trying it when I can my money back instead. I'll save that sort of learning for a time when a loco I've had running for a while and has no warranty packs in on me, then I'll have it in bits as I'll have nothing to lose. This one is a split chassis and looking at the soldering of the wiring in it I hope it's not been like that since it left the factory as it's awful lol. Suspect the seller has been among it trying to fix it, couldn't, then dumped it on some mug on ebay (me) hoping they'd never see it again.
Am off to a local-ish show on Sunday for a snout around so hopefully I'll be able to find a club to get into there.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 11:45:11 pm »
G'day from Australia, Cumbrian, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

Geez, you are having a rough start, mate!

All I can say is stick with it, and you'll soon be as mad enthusiastic as we are  :beers:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:46:25 pm by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here